Goodbye Jesus

Return Of The Christian

Matt

A while back I was argueing with a Christian over the evil of bible god reflected by the acts he supposedly performed and the whole hell thing. Once i had erm...russled his feathers he responded with this....

Good is a point of view, Matt. The Christians and the Un-beleivers are similar in almost every way, including their quest for truth. As i said it is a point of view, so your judgement of god is not just as he only truely knows what is good and what is evil. Remember we are the sinners so our views are not like his and we arent alligned with his point of view of what is good and evil.

Hmm i read this thinking of what to write back. Then saw his icon, being a star wars one. I then thought back to 'Return of the Sith', and a quote from it. I went on the net to find it out, and found this.

Good is a point of view, Anakin. The Sith and the Jedi are similar in almost every way, including their quest for greater power.

.... :HaHa: hahah . I responded by asking him what his favourite movie and telling him Star Wars draw parellels from Zen Buduism. Seeing as i wasnt sure how to respond to his statement it was a 'miricle', that he had stupidly copied a line from a movie from which i could use agasint him. He did not respond back. I was pleased. The End

Any responses would be great, as well as any way to respond to that kind of statement. I lack the intellect and would like a boost. I could just say, why did god create us knowing we wouldnt be able to know what is actually good and evil etc, but id like to be able to have an outright straight to the point response to that statement on good being a point of view.

Good is a point of view, Anakin. The Sith and the Jedi are similar in almost every way, including their quest for greater power.

Good catch on the Star Wars parallel, Matt.

Your friend asserts that good and evil are points of view among humans, but only god knows what's really good and what's really evil. If so, then, what the hell was it that god put in that apple in the garden? And why should he have been so pissed about Adam and Eve merely having gained error-prone points of view? Besides which, error-prone points of view were all they could possibly have had before eating the enlightening apple.

Good is a point of view, Matt. The Christians and the Un-beleivers are similar in almost every way, including their quest for truth.

I think there's some truth to that statement, but it only applies to a certain kind of personality. Some people are content with not knowing and are not on a quest, while others can't let the questions go without researching and prodding the uncharted grounds. I think most of us here, on this site, are the kind that wants to know things and search for truth or just to see if there is something that could be called truth.

As i said it is a point of view, so your judgement of god is not just as he only truely knows what is good and what is evil. Remember we are the sinners so our views are not like his and we arent alligned with his point of view of what is good and evil.

That confuses me a bit. The arguments about sin and moral etc from the Christians are all over the map. Either moral and sin was and is established only by the Law that is given in the Bible - i.e. we would know by reading a book-, or moral and sin is a concept that God planted in every humans heart - i.e. we all intrinsically know what is right or wrong -. And then we have the question if God created it, or God did not create it but is a moral deity and is bound by a higher law himself. But here we have the argument above that we do not know what is good and evil and only God knows! That makes one wonder how someone can be held responsible at Judgment day if no one knew what God considered right or wrong? Does he make an argument that we all will be judged based on unknown laws by the Christian God? Well good luck with that concept Mr. Apologetic.

Btw, your Star Wars response was great.

(Hi Pitchu! Long time no post.)

So true about christian arguments re: sin and morality being all over the map -- or like an amoeba which, if pressed in on one side, pooches out on the other. There's no capturing these gossamer mutually exclusive concepts upon which is based the decision of whether or not to torture us in hell for all eternity. Christianity is the Red Queen's rulebook.

(Hi, Han. Yup. Was gone about a month. Glad to be home.)

I think God made it quite clear what he sees as good and evil - in the bible. And unfortunately a lot of things he tells us are evil, he was doing himself.

Hmm... god is the objective standard for good, right? And god is holy, and therefore god has a perfect hatred of sin. Sin is anything that transgresses the law of god, or god himself. God is sinless himself, but of course by definition, he cannot be sinful, making the phrase god is sinless redundant.

So god does things in the bible that he decrees is wrong and sinful for humans to do, and he's not wrong himself, because according to the above definition he can't be sinful...Wait wait.

So the only thing that makes god holy is the fact that he can't commit sins by his own definition, which renders the term holy meaningless...Hold on, hold on, I'll get this, just gimmie a minute.

If holy means good, and everything god does is good even though others doing some of the same things would be evil, then what exactly makes god good, and good goo-- oh, screw it.

Funny stuff, Dhampir!

Think D's mind just had a hellova gear slippage..

This could be subtitled "How I lost my Mind and Larned to Lubba Delard!"

kL

D's mind doesn't have the same gear ratios as ours, k.

D's mind doesn't have the same gear ratios as ours, k.
I operate on far too many levels to get anything meaningful done, it seems.

I operate on far too many levels to get anything meaningful done, it seems.

That depends on what the meaning of the word, "meaning," is. ....is...

:HaHa:

Which of course depends upon the meaning of the word 'depends'.

Which of course depends upon the meaning of the word 'depends'.

"Depends" is an adult diaper.. :grin:

The previous post you made reminds me of a Star Trek episode where they got the computer to implode..Landru, I believe?

I kept waiting for smoke to shoot out of your post!

Fortunately, unlike a computer I can force myself to leave off pursuing logical paradoxes before they cause my brain to liquefy