Goodbye Jesus

Were You Baptised?

OnceConvinced

Add me to the "was a baby, don't remember" list.

I didn't get dunked in front of the whole church, it was on a weekday afternoon with an empty house, but I felt let down because nothing happened - no magical indwelling, no warm fuzzies, just nothing. The first of many 'but I thought...' disillusionments with Xtianity.

bdp

I was baptized at age 13 not necessarily to get "saved" but sort of as a rite of passage. In black churches, you can't be a "member" until you've been baptized. So if you grew up in church, it's expected when you're old enough that you take that walk down the asle when they "open the doors of the church" and become a candidate for baptism.

I got to wear the same white robe my mother wore when she was baptized as a 10 year-old. My family, even my grandfather who rarely ever stepped foot in church, was present. My great-great grandmother tied a rope around my legs so the robe wouldn't ride up in the water, showing all my business. However, the rope also made it difficult to walk. So here I was, not walking but crawling up the steps to get in the baptismal pool.

I can't say I felt the Holy Ghost or had any white doves decending upon me. But I did feel ice cold from the unheated water and had a big coughing fit from accidently inhaling it when I got dunked. :HaHa:

I was never baptised. I love the irony that I went to a baptist church for most of my life. I didn't because I was too lazy. I mean there were classes involved, c'mon, I already went to sunday school.

I was baptised when I was 13 at the at the chruch that my parents were going to at the time. I did it because those teenagers that were not baptised had an elder that was sort of assigned to them, they stood behind each of us during the "who is going to be saved today" part of the services and whispered in our ears that we REALLY SHOULD go forward and be saved. The lady that was assigned to me suspected that I was not with the program and really hasseled me until I finally did it just to get the bitch off my back. I wore a white shirt and black pleated skirt as that was the "uniform" girls wore and the pastor put a little white towel over my nose and mouth and dunked me good. He asked me if I felt anything and I said no and he did it again. I answered yes yes yes just so he would not do it again. All that I remember feeling was acute embarassment and shame because I was lying AND I knew that everyone could see my bra through me shirt! LOL :phew:

I was baptised twice, first when I was six then I was baptised again when I was eleven. When I was first baptised I thought the preacher was going to drown me for a moment. I never felt any kind of supernatural feeling, I just knew that I was wet and cold.

I was never baptized. My parents wanted me to be able to make that choice for myself.

The Free Methodist church I attended had a membership drive. The youth group I was a part of were given the pitch....and it sounded good and all, but they required baptism for full church membership.

But.....my church didn't have a baptismal tub. We would all have to go to another church (not even a Free Methodist one) in order for the required baptism to take place.

:scratch:

Now......that seemed like some serious Hooey to me. So I pulled out my bible (good little christian girl then), and NOWHERE in it's pages did it say you had to be baptized to be a christian. And I thought: If my belief and love are all Jesus apparantly needs.....why does this church have the audacity to require MORE?

So I decided that "christian" was a good enough title for me...since to be a "Free-Methodist" required more than God needed to be in their club. :Wendywhatever:

Im sorry. I hope now you know that someone that follows Christ, should follow His example in the Bible of being baptized Himself. So, hate to break it to you, but it is something demonstarted and followed by the followers of Christ.

Was never baptised, will never be baptised. Probably the only person in my immediate family who was ever dunked was my dad (and I strongly suspect that they either held the stupid bastard under too long, or not long enough...)

According to my mother, I was baptized by a Catholic nun in the hospital right after I was born because I was so frail everyone feared I wouldn't make it.

I presume it was the "flick water on the baby's head" method of baptism I saw so many times in the Methodist church growing up. But, of course, I was far too young to remember.

I got baptised at 17 I think... it was a big thing because since our church didn't have a baptistery (we were renting a school gymnasium) they did it at the friggin beach. I didn't feel any different after, but I was expecting it. At our church it was only meant as a sign to the inside that we had received the Holy Spook inside before... anyway, the only thing it really made me was embarassed because I HATE to speak before crowds, so you can imagine how worse it was to do it front of a bunch of complete strangers that just wanted a day of calm at the beach. lol

I was baptized by immersion in a muddy farm pond in 1960.

The only thing I felt afterward was dirty.

“The rulers of the earth have realized long ago what potent poison inheres in the Christian religion. That is the reason they foster it; that is why they leave nothing undone to instill it into the blood of the people.” (Emma Goldman)

Another baby baptism here. Never have asked about how it went.

BTW, anyone here ever been to a baptism that ended up like video baptisms on America's Funniest Home videos? The closest I got to one of those was when at a cousin's baptism there was a minor earthquake. Not really funny, but still interesting.

I was in the Southern Baptist branch of that lovely thing called xtianity. When one is a Southern Baptist, one waits until one is old enough to understand the importance of salvation and baptism.

Thus it was at the ripe age of 4 that I, deeply meaning every word, said "the prayer", and was baptised.

Needless to say, I thought this whole thing was great fun; getting praised by my whole christian family, and rewarded in sunday school with a new bible with pictures in it.

Baptism was awesome. I literally swam in the tank because I was too small to even touch the bottom without the help of a crate. I wanted to get baptised again the next week! :grin:

Im sorry. I hope now you know that someone that follows Christ, should follow His example in the Bible of being baptized Himself. So, hate to break it to you, but it is something demonstarted and followed by the followers of Christ.

...And they should follow his example of hanging on a cross, and resurrecting on the third day, and turning water into wine and walking on water and turning loaves of bread and baskets of fishes into a big party and taking the last coin from a fish's purse/mouth...and every other thing he is reported to have done...