Goodbye Jesus

How Many Of Us Were Pressured Into Christianity?

Realist

It would be interesting to conduct a poll on how many Ex.Christians (or Christians) were pressured into Christianity in the first place?

From my 50 years of life experiences and knowledge of life within the "born again" regime in almost ALL cases one of the following would apply.

You became a Christian because you were brainwashed as a kid as your parents were religious (usually the fear factor being your reason for conversion); you became a Christian after a very low period in your life and were set upon by the religious zealots; or you were swept up in a movement such as in a Billy Graham crusade usually brought on by the hell fire drama and fear.

My point in this is that how many ex-Christians/Christians could HONESTLY say they chose Christianity at an older age by choice; not being pressured or brainwashed by others; and accepting it as it was a logical senario as it had no short-comings! Virtrually NONE I would say!!

Maybe others would like to post what senarios made them initially become "born again"??

I know I was!

I was born into the religion, so I basically had no choice but to go to church...

However, when I was around 18/19ish I started questioning God and the meaning of life, etc..el...And one instance jumped right out at me.

Oneday my entire family was at the house and they started having this huge religious discussion. And then one of my bastard elder siblings asked me, "Are you certain you're going to heaven when you die..."

So at this time I am in a severe state of depression, anxiety, and inward turmoil..I thought that god wouldn't possibly let me goto hell as miserable as I was. So I replied with, "Yes. I am a nice person who leads a good life..." and just shrugged...

Then everyone starts laughing, and then they proudly boast, "It doesn't matter if you're good or not! When that trumpet blows and you aren't saved and baptized you're gonna die and goto hell!"

So basically that scared the holy hell out of me and two weeks later I got saved....

It was pathetic, and I think my family are a bunch of morons.

Guest Loghann

I know I was. I was born into the Catholic cult, baptised as a baby, Catholic school until the sixth grade, etc. I was really into it until I went to public school.

I didn't have many friends in junior high (I didn't know how to interact with public school kids). I was befriended by two Christian girls who invited me to their church, then pressured me every week to come to Sunday morning services, to the Wednesday night youth group, to the small group meetings. Add into that the fact that I had a crush on one of them, and there was no way I was not going to go. I eventually converted and became much more fundy-ish.

I think you make an excellent point, Realist. I've never met or heard of anybody who actually converted as a happy, well-adjusted adult who was just coming to a logical conclusion.

I don't know if I was pressured, but this is how I was duped...

I get depressed frequently. It just so happens I was in that state when I was confronted by a xian coworker. I was questioning life and my purpose here and why I should bother remaining here. I used to believe when I was younger but drifted away because of the crap I had to endure. My friend sensing something was wrong started to probe deeper with questions about what I believe and why I hated god. This all led to me attending his church one Sunday. I remained an active member for about a year before I stopped going. I didn't stop believing I just stopped going.

Later I met another xian coworker and the joined his church. Repeat and rinse.

I am now xian free, thankfully.

Brought up in the Lutheran Church, Missouri Synod. I don't know whether to say I was actually "pressured" or not. The best way to put it was that up until the middle of the fourth grade I was not aware that non-Lutheran people or lifestyles existed. I was led through life to believe that this was what everybody was like and just a perfectly natural and unavoidable part of life.

I was raised by agnostics, but I guess I could say I was pressured by society to be christian. I was the weird, awkward kid nobody wanted to have around, and as I saw it, being an agnostic was just another reason I was "on the outside." I knew some about a variety of religions, but I picked christianity because that's what I was "supposed to be."

I learned pretty quickly that I didn't belong there either. I never did get over my phobia of churches.

I was pressured by my father....it was horrible! He got "saved" when he had a very close call with death. From then on, it was his mission to try to save the rest of the family. I was the last one. He would preach at me nonstop. He would even turn the tv off *right in the middle of something I was watching* and start in on me, reading from the bible. It was when I had a horrible nightmare about the "end times" that it scared me to the point that I thought he might be right. It took him a couple of years, but he finally got his wish.

That was how I got my start. It was not until 12 years later that I walked away from it.

I know he meant well, thinking that he was doing what was best for me, but he was really putting the guilt and fear into me. If he were alive today, I know that he would be upset with my present way of thinking. (being a nonchristian) I look back and I believe that most of my christian walk was trying to please my dad.

I was pressured. While I was "born into it", my family believed that you need to say the sinner's prayer yourself. I remember my sister witnessing to me a few times. I got baptized when I was 9 because everyone else was, so why not me? Shortly thereafter, I got "baptized in the Holy Spook", spoke in tongues, etc. I had many doubts about my salvation status over the years so I can't point to one particular date that I became an xian, as I rededicated myself to the Lawd several times.

The fears of being "left behind" and of hell kept me as an xian for many years. I called it "faith at gunpoint".

Two years ago this coming November, I admitted to myself that I don't believe this stuff any more. I haven't told my family, though, just my husband and one close friend.

I have read at least one x-timony on the forums where the writer reluctantly admitted that they became xian when they were an adult and were not at a low point in their lives.

I was pressured. I was always forced to attend church, my mother would give me these Bible reading guides. I was pressured by my mother and that was horrible. There were times when I would try to get her to let me stay home, I would even throw tantrums, but this didn't help. I would say things like "I hate church" or "I hate being here." Stupid members would ask me, "Why do you come?" I wanted to say "I'm being forced to come you stupid c**k!" Not to mention that I didn't find Christianity all that convincing.

These are some interesting stories, by the way. :grin:

I was pressured into it, being born Catholic. Though I was born into a "cultural Catholic" family, I wasn't pressured with Hell™ or guilt, just with the overall sense that it was "right" to be Catholic. Going to church and believing in Jebus and identifying as a "Catholic" were good and right and true just because it was custom for my family and for our kinfolk and recent ancestors (Polish blood here).

If you didn't go to Mass on Sunday or identify with Catholicism, there was something wrong with you. It just wasn't allowed. You had to attend Mass, believe in Jebus, identify as a Catholic, and go through all the motions. It made it both easier on me to live and grow up like that (though I wasn't thrilled about church all the time) because I wasn't worried about Hell™ or guilt, just about doing what was expected of me. But it made it harder to finally be honest with myself and admit that it wasn't the accurate version according to the Babble™ on how to be a Good Xian since it's not easy to rebel against something that never actually caused you any real harm. The kind of Catholicism I was raised with was almost harmless - it's hard to hate something that's almost benevolent, at least in regards to how you see it.

I don't think most people become Christians or adhere to any revealed because of pressure as such, but rather because of indoctrination/conditioning at a young age when you have no defenses against it. (Child abuse if you want my opinion.) It's when you let people know you're actually thinking for yourself that the pressure starts--then it's down a couple of steps or out the door.

MeiPassion, I am almost as new here as you, and welcome anohter deist.

I don't think most people become Christians or adhere to any revealed because of pressure as such, but rather because of indoctrination/conditioning at a young age when you have no defenses against it. (Child abuse if you want my opinion.) It's when you let people know you're actually thinking for yourself that the pressure starts--then it's down a couple of steps or out the door.

MeiPassion, I am almost as new here as you, and welcome anohter deist.

You're right, being conditioned with Christianity is almost like brainwashing to me. Still today, whenever I run into to the memebers of the former church I attended, they would say things to me like "You should come back to church." I haven't told anyone (besides my mother) that I have no intention of returning. So, in a sense, they're still trying to pressure me.

It's always nice to meet a fellow deist. :grin: Whenever I tell people that I'm a deist they don't know what it is.

You're right, being conditioned with Christianity is almost like brainwashing to me. Still today, whenever I run into to the memebers of the former church I attended, they would say things to me like "You should come back to church."

Yeah, my Mum says things like "One day you'll come back to Jesus". I have at various times been pressured to go to church by both family and neighbours.

My point in this is that how many ex-Christians/Christians could HONESTLY say they chose Christianity at an older age by choice; not being pressured or brainwashed by others; and accepting it as it was a logical senario as it had no short-comings! Virtrually NONE I would say!!

I was never "born again," they got me the first go round! lol... I started out Atheist and that was programmed away until I was a little believer. My deconversion, though, wasn't a choice, either. Eventually my exposure to science, history, psychology and world religions took its toll. Not to mention my mother showed me precisely what was wrong with being a believer. She showed me just how illogical it could make a healthy brain. She used to tell me that horror movies would invite the Devil! She wanted it keep it outside for this reason. lol... Of course, I never followed this silly rule.

You're right, being conditioned with Christianity is almost like brainwashing to me. Still today, whenever I run into to the memebers of the former church I attended, they would say things to me like "You should come back to church."

All I have to do is lift my shirt and smile to be rid of that one. lol...