Goodbye Jesus

My Depature From Christianity

MeiPassion

Hey folks, I'm new here. However I was lurking around these forums for the past three months. And then I decided to join. :grin:

Okay, here's my story.

I grew up in a in a fairly religious home. My mom use to drag my sisters and I to church whenever there was church. I left Christianity when I was about thirteen years old. But it happened like this, my mother had jumped from church to church trying to find the "right" place of worship. Until finally, around 1995 she joined this church that was of pentecostal denomination. I hated going to church every Sunday, but my mother had forced us to go. I hated Sunday school, my peers, even though most of us were no more than nine to ten years of age, already knew how to condemn people! I was the "bad" student in Sunday school, simply because there had been awkward moments of when I would point out various hypocracies that I saw while I was attending the church. To make matters worse, I was forced to participate in activities within the church. Like I had to join the choir, act in plays, etc. This got on my nerves, and my mother knew I hated being at church, yet she forced me to go nonetheless.

As I got older, I started to question my beliefs. At this point in my life, I felt that Christianity had hurt me. Bascially, I was taught that I am this useless human being wandering around on earth, and the only way for my life to have some kind of meaning is if I devote myself to God and the church I was attending. This was nothing more than a harsh blow to my self esteem. Even worse, I was recieving vibes from church members that I should feel guilty for disliking church. Another blow to my self esteem.

Finally, when I turned thirteen, my mother stopped forcing me to attend church. This was such a relief and I felt that a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders. I felt free. Now, I am a student majoring in Sociology and minoring in English. As of now, I am a deist, and I reject all forms of organized religion. And my self confidence is high now.

Well that's enough from me. :grin:

Good to see you.

Is you mom still involved in the church? Does she let you have your beliefs without imposing some kind of fear or guilt trip?

Hope not. Good luck.

Nah, I spoke to her about how I feel. And thankfully she doesn't try to impose any guilt trips on me. I think it's because she realizes that since she forced me to attend church I kind of resent her for that. Therefore, she can't make me feel guilty. But she is still involved in church.

Guest droskey

Hello MeiPassion,

I'm glad to here that you are in a good place right now. It's a good feeling to be freed from superstition.

Cheers.

Hi MeiPassion, welcome to exc! Well its cool that your mom stopped making you go to church. Hope things are going well for you now. :)

Bascially, I was taught that I am this useless human being wandering around on earth, and the only way for my life to have some kind of meaning is if I devote myself to God and the church I was attending.

I like how you put it. It just makes the whole christian thing look so stupid. Really, somebody who supossedly created it all couldn't possibly be that narrow minded.

Now, I am a student majoring in Sociology and minoring in English. As of now, I am a deist, and I reject all forms of organized religion. And my self confidence is high now.

And you turned alright, too. I am glad your mom is cool about your disbelief.

Welcome, Mei,

It's nice to hear your sense of self confidence. Think, grow, enjoy this ride that is life. All my best to you.

Piprus