Goodbye Jesus

Fundie Double Speak...

LosingMyReligion

I got into a debate with one of my fundie relatives about the whole Andrea Yates thing. I'll preface this by stating that I think it is sad what happened to those kids...

However, I hate fundie hypocrisy...

Anyway, the relative in question talks about her being a lunatic and prayer for her soul...

So being the smartass I am I said, "Why is it when God told Moses to slaughter everyone who worshipped the golden calf, it is considered divinely inspired? Furthermore, why is it when Abraham was about to kill Issac on the mountain was it considered a good thing? But Andrea Yates killed all her kids, so they could goto heaven, and most of the religious people want her put to death...I don't get it..."

First I got a blank stare, and then the whole, "You are trying to rationalize god!" and the usual christian mumbo jumbo...

To which I replied, "How is it any different?"

Then he started ranting about how I was being led by Satan and etc...etc...

So I just said, :Wendywhatever:

Goodbye Jesus
Guest indy107

I watched this on Primetime last week with my wife. One of our many differences - she loves the news shows, 20/20, Primetime, etc etc. I'd rather watch Mythbusters or Dirty Jobs or something entertaining! Not all this gloom and doom!

My wife knows how I feel about religion. We don't bring it up much. I don't know if she'll ever see things the way I do, and I know i can never go back - so for now - we live with each other's differences.

But I was watching this with her - in horror i might add- as Andrea described how she drowned all the kids and how the older one fought back the hardest - and it literally sickened me, especially drowning her 6mo old baby girl. I said something about religious psychos out there killing in the name of god. Boy was that the wrong thing to say. I got the 'look' and the 'don't even go there'.

As the Xfiles said - The truth is out there - most people just dont want to see it.

As for your relative - i wonder if he's actually read the Old Testament. I know my wife hasn't. When I tell her about all the killing, and butchering, and entire villages/races being wiped out cause god said so (but keep the young girls for yourselves) she thinks I'm nuts. I didn't write this crap - its right there - go read it for yourself.

But she/they won't. Sad.

Indy

I hear you LMR, if its in the bible then its justified by the xians, if it isn't, its seen as the great, big bad evil, but you're doing good for someone who is surrounded by fundies and making them question things, most of them don't want to question and think too hard about such things. I imagine that it can't be easy so hang in there buddy. You'll make it. :)

And yeah I don't understand if the bible is the word of god, then why they don't fucking read it. Ugh.

And yeah I don't understand if the bible is the word of god, then why they don't fucking read it. Ugh.

Because it's a verbose, dry, confusing, and boring read? Considering our newspapers are purposely put on a third grade reading level these days, it's really no wonder nobody actually bothers reading the Bible. Many of the die hard thumpers of it CAN'T.

And I have to admit, when I was a christian I never read the stupid thing either. I tried and got through Genesis and one of the New Testament stories, then just used the Bible as reference whenever somebody said a quote I didn't understand.

Agree with Kurari. Honestly, I have never read it all the way through. Talk about a shitty piece of literature.

If it were published today It would not even make the bottom 10 of ANY list.

you guys aren't kidding, currently I'm trying to read both the book of mormon and the bible and they're both as boring as hell. As a xian I only got towards the end of genesis before giving up completely and then used it as a reference, so why am I reading it now? Curiosity, just want to know a bit more about it, and I also want to eventually read the Koran. After this I want to move on to the Upanishads. Yeah I'm a dork. :grin:

You can learn a lot more about morality in a good fantasy novel than in the Bible. The difference between the two is that one knows what it is; the other pretends it's something it's not. Both are very long with complex tales, but one has far less contradictions than the other.

Not entirely joking here:

You want to read the whole babble, it definitely helps if you're bored at work and working for a christian employer. Hard to condemn you for reading their own scripture (as long as your work performance doesn't suffer of course).

Hey, it worked for me... :blink:

Ah shit, well the thing is I've read greek myths, roman myths, now I'm reading the babble myth :lmao: next besides the koran, is also the Necronomicon, I really want to read that and then I'm also planning on reading the Satanic Bible. Yes I'm a weird girl ;):lmao:

Yeah I'm a dork. :grin:
Yes I'm a weird girl ;):lmao:
You didn't have to inform us of your reading material in order for us to know this. :Doh:

:HaHa:

Yeah I'm a dork. :grin:
Yes I'm a weird girl ;):lmao:
You didn't have to inform us of your reading material in order for us to know this. :Doh:

and the weirdness just keeps on getting worse....

curse you Fweester, hijacking another thread, damn you!!!

I never hijack threads!!! :nono:

Unless of course, he starts a thread. :scratch:

Then I'll stop in and say, "Hi Jack!" :wave:

I have no idea whom he is, you will have to be clearer than that, after all I'm not a mind reader...honestly Fweester sometimes you act like a chick. :close:

honestly Fweester sometimes you act like a chick. :close:
Sometimes you do, too. :Hmm:

I'm all woman and proud of it!

If your old uncle Jack were paralyzed and stuck on a fence would you help your uncle Jack off?

I'm all woman and proud of it!

Um trust me that wouldn't last forever.

Some day you'll have a little man in you. :HaHa:

Fucking ass crawling midgets.

Fiddle-dee-dee Mr. Jackson!

I don't know what little man you're talking about....

:wicked:

If your old uncle Jack were paralyzed and stuck on a fence would you help your uncle Jack off?

If a sex-crazed homosexual jumped on your backside, would you beat him off?

Yes or no... Have you ever sucked a sweeter dick than mine? :scratch:

If I washed my dick really well would you suck it? No? Are you a dirty cocksucker?

If I washed my dick really well would you suck it? No? Are you a dirty cocksucker?

:twitch:

Talk about hijacked threads...whoa...

I hate hijacked threads....GRRRRRR.