Goodbye Jesus

Information On Eygptian Mythology

KT45

horus.jpg

I was thinking about getting this symbol as a tattoo specifically. I planned on getting it on Oct 19th which is the day I turn 21. I don't want to go into why I want this particular one but just know that it serves a personal importance to me. Also know that I know the history of this symbol (represents Horus). Anyway, I was curious if people would get offended if I got it. Do people still worship eygptian gods? Also do any groups or gangs use this symbol? Just want to avoid trouble.

thanks

I know there are folk who worship the Egyptian Gods. On this board, Monsterfeets is one, and Karl seems to be another. PM them and I'm sure they'll be most helpful :)

I do not know of any stigmas against tattooing in Egyptian Heathenry. Obviously, making images of the Gods was not forbidden. From my small understanding of the Kemetic faith, it's about as open-ended as any other pre-xian Pagan religion, so if you want to honor Horus with a tat, go nuts.

Try Kemet.org and Egyptian Myths for more info. Thanks to Monsterfeets, who gave me the links to begin with :)

I know there are folk who worship the Egyptian Gods. On this board, Monsterfeets is one, and Karl seems to be another. PM them and I'm sure they'll be most helpful :)

I do not know of any stigmas against tattooing in Egyptian Heathenry. Obviously, making images of the Gods was not forbidden. From my small understanding of the Kemetic faith, it's about as open-ended as any other pre-xian Pagan religion, so if you want to honor Horus with a tat, go nuts.

Try Kemet.org and Egyptian Myths for more info. Thanks to Monsterfeets, who gave me the links to begin with :)

Thanks Varokhar. I PMed monsterfeets and I'm looking foward to his answer. I'll check out those links you mentioned.

Yep, as Varokhar said, I worship (well, follow, honor, rather) Gods from the Egyptian pantheon. There's a surprisingly large number of people who do (and it keeps growing!)

I personally would take no offense at anyone getting a tattoo of an egyptian diety or symbol. Especially since it has personal significance to you. I don't think Horus will swoop down and peck out your eyes in vengeance or anything. :HaHa: He's a pretty good guy, all around. And, yeah. Most Kemetics and Egyptian Pagans and such are rather laid back, many of them also pracitce other faiths outside the Kemetic one. And, I really can't see anything wrong with appreciating religious art from a faith you aren't part of. I was into Egypt long before I was a Kemetic and wanted an Ankh tattoo from the time I was 12

There are no stigmas I know of, even in Ancient Egypt. Mummies have been found with tattoos and art of tattooed people has been depicted. As I recall, aside from being decorative or cultural/traditional it was used as a way to permantely brand yourself with a spell or talisman. Words/symbols were considered the spark of life and inherently magical & divine.

So, go for it. :grin:

Thanks, I was worried since Horus (I'm probably wrong) did represent the pharohs reincarnated (Yeah I can't spell). Also I'm not eygptian so I didn't want to offend any real ones.

LOL at horus pecking my eyes out. Hopefully he knows I'm respecting him and he won't resort to that :)

I just got a tattoo of a big Egyptian Ankh on my left arm...I got it because I have the Grim Reaper on my right arm, so I wanted something that meant life on the other. :shrug:

Thanks, I was worried since Horus (I'm probably wrong) did represent the pharohs reincarnated (Yeah I can't spell). Also I'm not eygptian so I didn't want to offend any real ones.

LOL at horus pecking my eyes out. Hopefully he knows I'm respecting him and he won't resort to that :)

I think Horus was a symbol of the living Pharoahs. I believe resurrection/reincarnation would be handled by Mr. Osiris. However I might be wrong on that too.

That picture you have -may- be Re, and not Horus. The Sun Disk makes me think Re. But Horus was depected as merged with Re sometimes. I haven't seen that particular image before so I can't say. With all the gods merging all willy nilly all the time you never know who is who.

Many Kemetics are actually, not ethnically Egyptian at all. The current "Pharoah" of the Kemetic Orthodox religion is a caucasian (and female at that). So if anyone was going to be offended it sure wouldnt be them XD

Nahh he wouldnt peck out your eyes. When he's mad he goes straight for the groin. :HaHa:

ra-drawing.gif This is the image that pops up when i type in Ra for google.

horus.jpgThis is the image that pops up when i type in Horus for google

Yeah I can see how easily they can get mixed up. I'll keep studying more. I really want horus in particular and not Ra (monsterfeets wrote Re instead of Ra, is Re how it is pronounced?). So I want to make sure it is the correct image.

-EDIT-

You were right monsterfeets. It seems Horus and Re were combined entities during different times according to the websites Varokhar gave me

Very early in Egyptian history, Re was identified with Horus, who as a falcon-god represented the loftiness of the skies. He was represented as a hawk-headed man or as a hawk. A combination of the two, Ra-Hoor-Khuit, "Re, who is Horus of the Horizons" showed the two as manifestations of the singular Solar Force.

I'm guessing the first picture I posted can represent both then

Not to be completely irreverent. But it's your body. If you want a tattoo of that, get it. If someone is gonna be offended by your tattoo let them be offended.

Shit, that's the most reverent thing you can say, in the end - because from all the ancient lore, it's clear the Gods respect courage and assertiveness more than grovelling. If I were a God, I'd be the same in that.

I'm sure Horus wouldn't mind. And if he does, too bad. Being a God, he ought to have better things to worry about (which I'm also sure of).

And he'd have to know, either way. Always remember, the Gods aren't said to be all-knowing according to ancient lore. The old lore has to count for something. Reasonably, we can't know one way or the other, but it's a good bet Horus doesn't have a clue as to what's going on in your personal life. Also, the Gods of most Heathen religions (if not all) are never depicted as being overly concerned with the affiars of individual humans. Their concerns are usually with their own kind or with large tribes or nations of people. What one human out of billions does to his or her body is more than likely of no concern to a God, who hasn't the desire to nitpick like some other alleged gods we can think of :ugh:

Okay cool ... yeah it can represent either/both of them, probably :)

Re is just an alternate spelling for Ra. I think it can be pronounced either way since they don't know how, for sure, the egyptians would have pronounced it. I've heard it pronounced both "ray" and "rah".

• 2 months later...

If you can stand looking at my back for a few seconds here is my tattoo

s3010008vh3.jpg

s3010010fg4.jpg

Very not-bad :goodjob:

Nice! Looks like it's just linework at this point; are you going to go for color later?

I have a Minoan labrys in about the same spot, based on a drawing of an actual one found at Knossos.

I frankly don't think the gods mind. (Well, I'm atheist, so that's why...) Modern Egyptians probably wouldn't be offended, since Egypt is now an Islamic country. Plus they make scads of bucks off tourists by selling all kinds of products with the old gods on them, so a modern-day Egyptian could hardly criticize you for using an old image anyway, since they do too (in a far more consumer-whorish way, I might add).

People paint themselves with religious symbols all the time. I can't imagine anybody'd be offended. And even if they are, it's too late anyway, you got the tatt. It looks great and means something to you, so if anybody's offended, screw 'em.

That is a beautiful symbol, and that tatoo is nice. I love Egyptian culture and mythology. As everyone has said Horus is a really cool guy. You don't have to worry about being visited by famine, pestilence, or obnoxious fundamentalists. :)

Very nice, TaylorK...I just have a butterfly..I want the Om symbol next..with something with it. I'm working on it.

Here's butterfly:

post-228-1160686615_thumb.jpg

Nice! Looks like it's just linework at this point; are you going to go for color later?

I don't think so. I've seen other blacks with colors in there tattoos and it doesn't turn out good most of the time. I'll just keep the line work for now unless I get a change of heart.

:grin: Thanks for the comments

I like your Ankh Savior. The one my Horus is holding is so small it looks like a cross from a distance. Doesn't matter to me though cause I know what it really is.

Lizard, i like yours too (I wouldnt get it though. Butterflies aren't my thing :HaHa:). But what is an Om?

I seriously doubt anyone would be offended by it, UNLESS you simply found it pretty and didn't apply any importance whatsoever to its spiritual underpinnings. And with that particular symbol, even that's a long shot.

I worship Egyptian Gods, I worship Greek Gods, I worship Chinese Gods, I worship The God, I worship anything that comes to mind. Very rarely have I been offended by any representation of a symbol.

:grin: Thanks for the comments

I like your Ankh Savior. The one my Horus is holding is so small it looks like a cross from a distance. Doesn't matter to me though cause I know what it really is.

Thank you. I drawed it ma'self. Nobody ever really sees mine anyway...i got it for myself. I was gonna get an egyptian warrior, but I decided on just an Ankh. :shrug: