Goodbye Jesus

Dr. Wayne W. Dyer

Johnny Smith

Does anyone follow this guy's writings/lectures? http://www.drwaynedyer.com

A colleague gave me a set of his CDs on living an "inspirational" life. I'm not sure what to think.

What think ye?

Does anyone follow this guy's writings/lectures? http://www.drwaynedyer.com

A colleague gave me a set of his CDs on living an "inspirational" life. I'm not sure what to think.

What think ye?

It all depends on whether you want to stay spiritual in spite of giving up Christianity. I do, so I like Wayne Dyer. Now, if you prefer to go the atheist way, run as fast as you can.

Wayne Dyer is a not a new-age guru, in my view. He is a New Thought advocate, which is different. He views god as a spirit which bodily manifestation is everything we see. From that view, you and I are pieces of a big pie called god.

New Though declares that we are all parts of the big picture which is god, and uses the teachings of Buddhism, Jesus, Plato, and other famous philosophers/teachers/thinkers. I think Dyer can also be classified as a motivational speaker, since he is into positive thinking. So he can be very good for an ex-christian who was told she/he was a worthless sinner who needed to depend on god for everything.

I love the stuff, but my bet is that most people who are ex-Christians don't. In sum, you have to make up your own mind.

I like Wayne Dyer and others, but I have decided not to spend one penny on that stuff, since I gave so much of my money to Christianity in the past. All of the materials are available in public libraries so I have made use of those.

Good luck to you.

He also speaks about once a week at Hayhouse Radio. There is an archive section that contains many of his lectures/teachings. I also like Wayne Dyer. Even if you're not any kind of theist, he has a lot of good advice for practical living

50 Wayne Dyer quotes:

The phrase New Age televangelist/snake oil salesman keeps coming to mind. All his website shows are paths for spending money, but if you really search you can find a few morsels of regurgitated pablum which would make Jimmy Swaggart blush. To wit:

Benefits of living an inspired life:

· All of your thoughts break their bonds.

· Your mind transcends all limitations.

· Your consciousness expands in every direction.

· You find yourself in a new, great, and wonderful world.

· Dormant forces, faculties, and talents come alive.

· You discover yourself to be a greater person than you ever dreamed yourself to be.

· You become a source of inspiration to others.

· You discover new sources of your own personal inspiration.

· You learn surprising ways to connect with Spirit through prayer and meditation.

·You never, ever again have to ask the question: Why am I here, and what is my purpose?

The last one actually sounds pretty interesting until you realize he's not saying you'll get any answers. Lots of spiritual sounding words leading nowhere except to his bank account. I'm very pro honorable capitalist, but fraud is not honorable. This is....all...so....old.

You find yourself in a new, great, and wonderful world.

I have to laugh at this one. A "new, great, and wonderful world" who dosent promise that? Ive always seen that as just one more way for people to control others and to spend money.

This guy is all spiritual, I can see him leading another Waco style group.

Yes, because spiritual people are psychopathic, controlling, murdering cultists.

:Wendywhatever: , :loser:

Now, I don't know this guy. I've never heard of him. But trying to compare him to the leader of Waco, just because you don't like his views for some reason, is just fucking retarded.

Yes, because spiritual people are psychopathic, controlling, murdering cultists.

:Wendywhatever: , :loser:

Now, I don't know this guy. I've never heard of him. But trying to compare him to the leader of Waco, just because you don't like his views for some reason, is just fucking retarded.

I have to agree with this because he has been writting books for about 30 years. If he was going to start a cult, he could have a long time ago.

The guy is a teacher, a historian, and has a PHD in counselling. Now, if you have all that, then start trashing him. I will stop here before I am asked to go to the lion's den.

Wayne Dyer

I like his early books, Your Erroneous Zones and Pulling Your Own Strings which focused on self-improvement and self-esteem--issues that, when I was a Christian, went unaddressed. I went on to read several more of his books (and I also have some of his tape sets) but it seems he is moving deeper into metaphysics instead of psychology. Not that metaphysics is all bad, but (as in any type of belief) you have to examine it for yourself, weigh the evidence, and make your own decisions. I don't think Dyer is trying to be a guru; I feel he thinks he's really giving great counsel for living. There are people who view him into a guru, and I would avoid these groups, like the Wayne Dyer Fan Discussion. I find them a little too 'worshipful' for my tastes. Oh, wow, there are Christian trolls on the Wayne Dyer forum, too! Jesus Christ

I view him in the same light as Neale Donald Walsh: A great spiritual/psychological thinker, visionary even. I don't think he's perfect, or a "guru", or infallible, or anything like that. I think the whole of humanity can learn very good things from both of them. Like the idea that perhaps God doesn't demand suffering and punishment on our part.

A great guy. Not a perfect demigod or anything.

[ Oh, wow, there are Christian trolls on the Wayne Dyer forum, too! Jesus Christ

And the Christian troll said:

Dear Dr. Dyer,

I had followed you for many years and really believed that you were the cause for the amazing changes in my life, as do many other Dr. Dyer followers. Up until two years ago, your books were my Bible, and they changed me, or so I thought. Now, no doubt, I believe that that was part of Gods plan for me, however, two years ago I became a Christian. At that time I realized that all the amazing things that had happened in my life were the work of Jesus Christ. It is my hope, for you, Dr. Dyer, that before your time on earth expires, that you will turn to Jesus, too. Imagine if you were to seek Jesus, admit you are a sinner, and accept Him into your heart as your personal Savior, how that would Glorify God and grow His kingdom; ultimately, possibly, you could turn all the folks who still follow you, to Jesus Christ. How HUGE that would be.

I want to encourage you to watch a new TV program on PAX. It's called "Faith Under Fire with Lee Strobel". Lee was an Athiest who, years ago, began extensive research to prove there is no God, no Jesus, and so on. In Lee's mission to prove there is no God, the Holy Spirit showed Lee that Jesus is alive and active and He is the ONLY way to God. As a result, Lee became a Christian, a pastor, a famous author who continues to Glorify Gods kingdom. Obviously, not quite what Lee's initial intent was.

In addtion, if you are still reading this, visit wwww.walkintheword.com. Perhaps listen to some of the free downloads. Pastor Jame MacDonald, the host of Walk In The Word, is the founding pastor of Harvest Bible Chapel, where I attend. He reminds me a lot of you, Dr. Dyer, only he is passionate about Gods word, I think you will enjoy listening to Pastor James, and I pray for you to come to Christ.

Love In Him,

Heidi S. Colonna

It appears Heidi has used idealistic fantasy in her life to bring comfort. At one point, that idealistic fantasy was Dr. Dyer. Now it is Jesus Christ. Who will it be next? I find it very interesting how easy it is for a convinced Christian to believe that everyone who is not a Christian really knows, deep down, that they are sinner. As she writes, it is as if she believes Dr. Dyer really knows "the truth" about Jesus Christ but is just unwilling to admit it. Her mindset is all too familiar, as it was mine for many years.

I really appreciate everyone's responses on Dr. Dyer. I will listen and read some of his material and decide for myself whether this is someone I would like to invest my resources in. However, as Lorena said, I do NOT feel comfortable giving my hard earned cash to any type of "motivational speaker" - Christian or not, these days. I'll probably go the public access route myself.

Thanks again for the comments.

A very wise proverb,

"A wise man will eat the meat and spit out the bones. A foolish man will throw the meat out entirely because it has bones in it."

I don't agree with anyone entirely on anything. Whatever I read on any subject, I have to glean out what is useful while simultaneous rejecting what I don't agree with. It's a critical thinking skill and hard for most people to do. It's especially hard in Christianity because Christians see things in black and white with no shades of grey. Everything...and everyone.. is a mix of some good and some bad. Though the proportions may vary.

I love Wayne Dyer. I've read a few of his books and have some of his motivational tapes laying around the house. Just like a famous preacher he is certainly a money machine, but the man does give great useful information. He does use the concept of God often, but his God is more a concept of being one with the universe, and to love each other. He doesn't talk about God in the sky daddy, send us to Hell sense of the word. Like many other self help gurus, with Wayne Dyer you must take what you need and leave the rest. I would recomend his books to anyone.