Goodbye Jesus

Dropped The Bomb

Vortex

I'm going to try not to let this post degenerate from rant to raving but here goes.

My fiance's mother, (soon to be my mother-in-law), is a fundamentalist Christian. She had tried to evangelize me once, and I stopped her cold - politely by saying that I had tried Christianity and it wasn't for me; and that I was never ever going to go back.

I have attended her church and put a buck in the basket as it is the polite thing to do, but did remark to my fiance that the pastor was completely ignorant of other Christian denominations, (said that the Catholics "sprinkle babies").

She also, when she found out I am Wiccan gave me Wicca: Satan's Little White Lie by William Schnoebelen. I responded with material from Wtchvox exposing him as a fraud.

We had an easy detente until her church found out they are facing legal action from the state board of education because their associated seminary is handing out theological degrees. Now, I think that these degress aren't worth the paper they are printed on, but the church's web site clearly states that they are not accredited, and the degree should not be used outside the ministry.

Since I am an advocate for religious freedom, and they do not appear to be committing fraud, I offered to file an amicus brief with the court.

Turns out that the church doesn't want any support from non-Christians! I was thunderstruck. I said this was hypocritical. We then got into discussion of Church and State, prostylizing and so forth. I said that while I do not agree with their theology, we live in America and I am committed to religious tolerance. If I can support their efforts to train their clergy the way they want, why can't they give the same rights to me instead of shoving their religion down my throat.

She asked if it were being intrusive or just not wanting to see souls go to hell. I responded I thought that Christianity was a weak religion that could not tolerate competing faiths; and that in all places and all ages, it had waged a campaign of genocide against those who did not believe just the same way Islam does when they are both the religious and secular authority.

Dead silence.

More dead silence.

The topic changed, thanks to my fiance. We moved on.

Why is it that those of us not of the Christian faith are considered "rude" when we disagree? When we point out the intolerance the hate the bigotry of the extreme adhereants of the three principal Abrihamic religions? Oh, that false piety, that smarmy flacid smile and lie of "love"that they throw up to be their armor against dissent that hides vicious poison .

I want to live in a pluarlistic society where human rights to freedom of speech, religion and political beliefs can be held unassailed by small minded bigots and knee jerk patriots. I am prepared to defend those rights for those of different belief systems, cultures, sexual orientations, and political leanings. Why, oh why can't the majority of American citizens silence the megalomaniac ideogouges?

I could just weep in rage.....

Why is it that those of us not of the Christian faith are considered "rude" when we disagree? When we point out the intolerance the hate the bigotry of the extreme adhereants of the three principal Abrihamic religions? Oh, that false piety, that smarmy flacid smile and lie of "love"that they throw up to be their armor against dissent that hides vicious poison .

Why, oh why can't the majority of American citizens silence the megalomaniac ideogouges?

I could just weep in rage.....

We are "rude", because in the evangelical Christian view...well...we are "rude" enough to refuse to believe that Jesus came to save us from our sins, to wash us white as snow, to save us from eternal punishment in hell. We are also "rude" enough to disagree with what they believe is true, thus in a way, we are saying "You believe a lie". And then we are "rude" enough to treat them politely even when we disagree, "rude" enough to offer them the freedom of religion they wish to withhold from us, "rude" enough to offer to help them fight for their religious rights.

The majority of Americans probably are either this type of Christian, don't know or don't care. Most people don't care about something unless it's right under their nose, or directly threatening to them.

You're certainly getting the picture, Vortex. Bigotry, intolerance and ignorance are the calling cards of the fundies. All you need to do to get them to turn those cards face up is push their buttons a little, then the veneer of "christian love" quickly crumbles. And these are the people that want a theocratic USA! An America for Jeezus? Perish the thought.

Heh, I've read Schnoleben as well. Even annotated all the inaccuracies. Then I threw out the book. It was utter garbage anyhow.

The problem is that Christians (well most of them anyhow) cannot see Wiccans or Pagans as anything other than evildoers. Therefore all your deeds are tainted in their eyes. Thus you are always rude, unbecoming, stupid, etc. You have no chance even before you start.

Thanks for posting folks. It really helped me deal with this.

My future mother in law is not a bitch. Let me just get that right out in the open. Our wedding will not be in a church as the church my fiance was brought up in would refuse to marry us because we would be "unequally yoked".

My problem here is that I actually wanted to help my future mother in law's church - as they plainly state they are training people for their ministry and their degrees are not to be considered valid outside their theological community.

My frustration stems from my future mother in law belonging to an organization that inculcates intolerannce and an unwillingness to be part of a larger community unless they call the shots. (They tried to get Harry Potter banned from their local schools.) She doesn't appear to agree with everything they spew as she doesn't disown her daughter, is nice to me and has eaten with us on several occaisions. (None of which her church would approve of, I think, if they knew about it.) If dshe doesn't then why doesn't she bring it up to the congregation and her minister? Why does she let these smarmy idiots rule unopposed? ARRGH. :vent:

When I have a problem with the utter drek they teach, it isn't a problem with my future mom in law.

(I'm actually very fond of her.) The ignorance, intollerance and bigotry of her *organization* is what really chaps my ass.

It's impossible to disagree with their stance without it being taken personally. I just can't seem to get through that wall. She has not objected to my marriage, but I can see that she regrets that "I'm going to hell." :vent: AARGH!

It's a confusing dynamic and it has really been eating at me.