Goodbye Jesus

"spiritual Warfare" Be Damned

Knightley

If there's anything that I hated about xianity, it was "spiritual warfare." You know the devil, angels, demons, and that there was an "invisible war" going on around us and that the "other world" was greater than life now. I remember spending days where I was afraid that satan would "get" to me and I would pray for god to protect me. I was paranoid enough about spiritual warfare, that I went to Borders and bought a book on how to exorcise demons. Yeah I looked real weird when the clerk at Borders checked my book out.

I swear, xianity makes people act like they belong in a psych ward. I just feel frustrated, now anytime people say hell, satan and other bullshit it just makes me want to puke. I hate seeing that shit around me and being taken seriously. The only enemy that I see are people who shove this shit down other people's faces. I have this "friend" who doesn't understand why I'm not a xian anymore, anytime that I tell her anything logical on why I left xianity, she says "well you just have to believe in god, there are many paths to god, hell is real." I can't talk to her anymore, she's not a fundy but her mind isn't rational. Who else has been frustrated by this stuff?

I think the reason it is so popular (or was so popular) is because when you're doing it, it makes you feel like a super spiritual warrior. And in a way it is a form of positive thinking, so it does have some effect. But really when it comes down to it, it doesn't work. I remember people doing it all the time in the 80s. It was a bit of a fad (like the holy laughter). But no matter how many demons you threw out of people, they always seemed to return and I never saw it achieve anything more than normal prayer.

Knightley,

Of course there is a Hell. I know, because my spelling has gone there. :wicked:

Really though, I know what you mean. Spiritual Warfare was one of my favorite things as a fundie.

Looking back at my past, I can see why. There was nothing wrong with me! I didn't have to face nuthin'! I only had to throw the Devil out of all those people (and some objects) that didn't agree with my Sweet Saviour.

If your friend 'knows' that Hell is real, and that there are many paths to God, you might want to ask your friend where this information comes from. Then debunk that.

None of these 'paths' seem to be able to explain themselves by their respective sources.

OC,

Are you saying that you ever saw at least once 'normal prayer' achieve anything? :grin:

If there's anything that I hated about xianity, it was "spiritual warfare."

[...]

I swear, xianity makes people act like they belong in a psych ward.

[...]

Who else has been frustrated by this stuff?

Fortunately, this specific bullshit (the spiritual warfare junk) is all but unknown over here, but I think I can imagine how it must feel to be surrounded by such morons... :(

As for the other consequences of jebus-cult-induced braindeath, however, I do get some of that here, and yes it pisses me off real good.

I think the reason it is so popular (or was so popular) is because when you're doing it, it makes you feel like a super spiritual warrior.

It's definitely one of the many ways to create and reinforce an us-vs-them, good-vs-evil idiocy that the cultists crave so very much.

Guest quest4god

I kow how you feel. I left Christianity not that long ago, but the last church I went always preached that kind of shit. There was one guy who said that he once saw the church full of demons and he slew them all with the bow and arrows of Christ. That was about the last time I went to church. For one thing... Why a bow and arrow? Why not a gun or something more exciting? I think it just shows you how their minds are still in the bronze age or something!

There was all that "armour of christ stuff"

I just kept thinking "Man, that must have some killer stats"

On a related note, I think they sound like complete morons when they talk about being "Prayer warriors". How can you call yourself a warrior if you're begging someone else to do the buttkicking for you? It doesn't seem right. "Pleeze, Jeezus, destroy this de-mon!" Wow. I'm so in awe of these warriors.

Our last church got WAY off into that right before we left. Some friends related a story - they were part of a group driving around the middle of Dallas/Fort Worth, pouring oil out the windows (to anoint the city, of course) and driving stakes in the ground to, um, mark spiritual territory boundaries or something like that. Key locations. Strip clubs and Masonic retirement homes, stuff like that - big demon hangouts.

Any way, one night they ended up at a park in Arlington standing in a circle, praying to bind the spirits because it was a 'power point' of evil in town, involving a large red metal sculpture. So they had the sculpture surrounded, and our friends were beginning to wonder why they were there when suddenly there was a piercing scream and one woman drove a sword (yes, a real sword) into the ground.

After hearing this story I asked them to take us to this park to confirm a suspicion I had. Sure enough, there it was, a giant red sculpture in the shape of the letter V - formerly located on the corner of an intersection in front of the car dealership owned by the Vandergriff family. Yes, a bit red V, as in Vandergriff, and they had targeted it as a source of satanic power. Obviously they were getting some sort of heavenly wisdom unavailable to the rest of us.

Hahahahahahahhaha

Hahhahahhahhahhaha

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Big demon hang outs and the V statue made me LOL.

the whole idea of "spiritual warfare" comes from traditional shamanisms anyway. The ability to control spirits with magic words, the ability to detect evil around oneself at all times, and being beset constantly by demons are shamanistic motifs, as well as the idea of having spirit power. Catholic views of exorcism during the Middle Ages and today were much more formal.

OC,

Are you saying that you ever saw at least once 'normal prayer' achieve anything? :grin:

Touche. Heard plenty of stories, but never saw anything first hand. lol.

On a related note, I think they sound like complete morons when they talk about being "Prayer warriors". How can you call yourself a warrior if you're begging someone else to do the buttkicking for you? It doesn't seem right. "Pleeze, Jeezus, destroy this de-mon!" Wow. I'm so in awe of these warriors.

That's not really spiritual warfare though. Spiritual warfare is when you claim to be doing it yourself in the name of Jesus. eg. "I CAST THIS DEMON OUT IN THE NAME OF JESUS!" So you're actually doing it with the authority you have been supposedly given as a Christian.

Our last church got WAY off into that right before we left. Some friends related a story - they were part of a group driving around the middle of Dallas/Fort Worth, pouring oil out the windows (to anoint the city, of course) and driving stakes in the ground to, um, mark spiritual territory boundaries or something like that. Key locations. Strip clubs and Masonic retirement homes, stuff like that - big demon hangouts.

Any way, one night they ended up at a park in Arlington standing in a circle, praying to bind the spirits because it was a 'power point' of evil in town, involving a large red metal sculpture. So they had the sculpture surrounded, and our friends were beginning to wonder why they were there when suddenly there was a piercing scream and one woman drove a sword (yes, a real sword) into the ground.

After hearing this story I asked them to take us to this park to confirm a suspicion I had. Sure enough, there it was, a giant red sculpture in the shape of the letter V - formerly located on the corner of an intersection in front of the car dealership owned by the Vandergriff family. Yes, a bit red V, as in Vandergriff, and they had targeted it as a source of satanic power. Obviously they were getting some sort of heavenly wisdom unavailable to the rest of us.

Man, this is almost identical to a story I heard a few weeks ago of a group going around the area where I live praying. In one key spot, one of them saw a sole thistle in the ground and claimed it was proof that the ground was cursed. So as a symbolic act he went and uprooted the thistle. :loser:

It's stories like this, that have helped me realise what a fairy tale world most Christians live in.

And saying that it's also another reason why Spiritual warfare is so popular. It makes you feel that you're involved in something exciting. You can be the Rambo of the spiritual realm.

That's not really spiritual warfare though. Spiritual warfare is when you claim to be doing it yourself in the name of Jesus. eg. "I CAST THIS DEMON OUT IN THE NAME OF JESUS!" So you're actually doing it with the authority you have been supposedly given as a Christian.

That sounds more like a spiritual patsy. :HaHa:

Well you see God needed us. He couldn't do it himself! :HaHa:

What is really funny is that we can cast these 'demons' out ourselves. Jesus doesn't have to be called upon to do it. It's nothing more than a state of mind. Well...some of us may need help to do it, but it's usually paid professionals that we seek. :D