Goodbye Jesus

>(ow! Ow! Ow!) Squared

Ro-bear

Here is an update for those who viewed my "it's on!" thread of a week or so ago.

It happened again. And, despite the fact that this time I didn't stand there like a retard, that I in fact was vigilant and fled at the first sign of trouble, the little bastards got me. At least 10 of them. I sure do hate those little yellow bastards. The last one got me as I sat safely, or so I thought, in my kitchen rubbing ice on those needles of fire. It was in my shorts, and it missed a sensitive area by mere inches.

Now, this will come as no surprise to those familiar with my lawnmowing history, and it might not be rantworthy, but it has occurred to me that, for those who do not bear my flaming wounds, there may be a vein of humor to be mined here. Don't be afraid to lampoon me a bit for my bad luck/stupidity (like any of you would hesitate, miserable comforters as ye are, as Job would say. *AHEM* I digress), but lay on, Macduff! I can laugh at myself. But not right now, at least not without help.

I thought I had destroyed the nest. This time I coated it white with the pesticide. Later, I will soak the whole fence line with gas. Later still, I will excavate the crevice packed with decaying leaves they find so homy. I don't want to be sitiing here next weekend tapping in another update. Maybe I'll wear long pants next time. Probably shoulda done that this time.

Aww, Ro-Bear! Again?? I thought you were going to hire a neighborhood kid to take care of the lawn for you?

I've been fighting them myself when I go to swim..seems they like the water too. No grass to cut here, everything has dried up and died.

If you insist on doing this lawnwork yourself, long pants with the legs tied closed, long sleeved shirt, gloves and one of those beekeepers hat things with a veil..

Better yet: Hire the pros to do this thing!

I heard meat tenderizer helps the stings..or was that for jellyfish? Not sure, I've avoided them for 36 years...

Ro,

Just a few days ago the same thing happened to me. I think there are many more of their nests this season. Those little bastards don't take the time, like other bees and wasps and such, to kinda size up the situation, then strike. They just make a (you should pardon the expresion) beeline for the invader.

I instantly ran like hell but still got close to a dozen stings.

They say amonia applied to the site helps alleviate the pain. I tried it. Maybe it helps normal people alleviate the pain.

h**p://www.tannerite.com

No shit...

Works like an evile charm most of the time.

kL

I remember some years ago when I was on duty as medic at the yearly M'era Luna in Hildesheim...

...sometime on Freya's day evening, among all those other messages on the radio, we heard an urgent request from our M. D. "...and tell the firefighters we need them to get rid of those fucking wasp hives right now! If this continues for much longer, we'll have more wasp victims than heat victims this year!" or something along that line.

That's what happens when the guests set up their tents on a meadow saturated with wasp hives... :banghead:

Good God, Ro-bear! Those insects must really love you. :twitch:

Yeah, if I were you, I'd just pay someone to do the yard from now on. Hell, I would hire a gardener on retainer rather than risking an encounter with those hypodermic needles with wings. My mother lives in that area and those things are so aggressive if you happen to see one nearby and slowly move a few steps away to avoid it, it just follows you. They're nothing but big bullies, really. Just be an even bigger bully and spray their ass with industrial-strength insecticide from a professional exterminator. They won't bother you again.

Yeah, if I were you, I'd just pay someone to do the yard from now on. Hell, I would hire a gardener on retainer rather than risking an encounter with those hypodermic needles with wings. My mother lives in that area and those things are so aggressive if you happen to see one nearby and slowly move a few steps away to avoid it, it just follows you. They're nothing but big bullies, really. Just be an even bigger bully and spray their ass with industrial-strength insecticide from a professional exterminator.....they won't bother you anymore.

Fuck that, nuke your backyard so nothing can live there for 50 years.

Yeah, if I were you, I'd just pay someone to do the yard from now on. Hell, I would hire a gardener on retainer rather than risking an encounter with those hypodermic needles with wings. My mother lives in that area and those things are so aggressive if you happen to see one nearby and slowly move a few steps away to avoid it, it just follows you. They're nothing but big bullies, really. Just be an even bigger bully and spray their ass with industrial-strength insecticide from a professional exterminator.....they won't bother you anymore.

Fuck that, nuke your backyard so nothing can live there for 50 years.

Well, that would take care of both problems; having to mow the grass.....and the yellowjackets. :lmao:

Ro-bear- I've dealt with those little bastards plenty of times myself... likely the same species as yours considering that I grew up in Lake City TN. Are they the kind that makes a nest in a little hole in the ground?

We had one particular nest in the yard when I was a kid. We tried everything to get rid of them- pesticide, gasoline, fire, turpentine, more fire, motor oil, filling in the hole... they just wouldn't die. Finally my grandpa came over one morning, filled up the pushmower with gas, and parked it (running) over the hole. That was the end of the problem, and many subsequent nests over the years. I actually don't know if the critters are mowed one-by-one as they emerge from the hole, or if the carbon monoxide gets them... but it's effective either way.

Here's some good info on the little bastards:

Some various ideas:

...the entrance to a ground nest can be covered with a transparent bowl (the emerging wasps become confused, won’t dig a new entrance, and starve).

Dust insecticides of any kind have strong power against yellowjackets-usually better than sprays. Dusts work better because they can be tracked by the yellowjackets deep into the nest and "shared" by others inside. The best time to treat yellowjackets is at night when they are all at home in the nest. Apply one or two teaspoons of dust insecticide to the nest opening and leave it alone. Allow the yellowjackets to disperse the dust for you. Sometimes, a second treatment is needed after five days or so.

I bought a stream aerosol spray for them, waited until dark, & then went out there with a flashlight & sent a solid stream right down the hole, as well as soaked the immediate surrounding area. Next day there were one or two survivors buzzing around, but then that was it - all gone.

The Georgia Extension Service recommends that you use a spray specially designed for "Wasps and Hornets", which spray at full-force and can reach up to 12 feet, killing the wasps instantly. Other insecticides may take longer and anger the yellow jackets, causing them to come after you . Rake any leaves or obstructions from the mouth of the hole and put the can directly over the hole. Press down the plunger and empty the can into the hole. This should destroy all the wasps immediately. Observe the hole for a couple of days to see if there are any survivors and retreat in the same way if necessary.

Sounds like your best strategy is to wait until night when they get sluggish and generally stay in their nest. I'd try a double-barreled solution: hose 'em with yellowjacket spray right in the nest, then deploy the upside-down Tupperware bowl. :fdevil:

Fuck those little stinging pricks!

Well, that would take care of both problems; having to mow the grass.....and the yellowjackets. :lmao:

"Wait....where's the dog?"

Giant nests perplex experts

To the bafflement of insect experts, gigantic yellow jacket nests have started turning up in old barns, unoccupied houses, cars and underground cavities across the southern two-thirds of Alabama...