Goodbye Jesus

Information thread: thepaulpage.com

scotter

Hi folks,

Since I started the Paul-Muhammad thread last time, from other readers I found this website:

http://www.thepaulpage.com/

Regardless of which camp you are in, 'hope it helps to enrich our further Pauline Christianity knowledge.

From the website:

Over the last three decades, a revolutionary breakthrough in New Testament scholarship has been rocking the academic Christian world. The scholars at the forefront of the revolution -- E.P. Sanders, James D.G. Dunn, N.T. Wright, and others -- have been pioneering a new approach to the letters of the first-century apostle to the Gentiles, Paul of Tarsus.

These Protestants are engaging first-century Judaism on its own terms, not in the context of the Protestant-Catholic debates of the sixteenth century. The result: A new historical perspective on the meaning of Paul's polemic against the Judaizers which occupies so much of his recorded correspondence.

Sounds a bit biased to me. I'm all for historical research about origins & the real sources of where the text came from, but this sounds like another Christian tactic to understand Biblical God. And as such, is not being open-minded.

• 2 months later...
Sounds a bit biased to me. I'm all for historical research about origins & the real sources of where the text came from, but this sounds like another Christian tactic to understand Biblical God. And as such, is not being open-minded.

I think it's a step in the right direction, however. Paul's writings are the underpinnings of Christianity in just about any of its forms. To rethink Paul and the context from which he allegedly wrote is good news to me. When I studied this out for myself, I found Paul's teachings to be in conflict with Christ's in many areas.

I'm sure it's biased but this is one of the studies that I did which helped me out of Christianity.

I think it's a step in the right direction, however. Paul's writings are the underpinnings of Christianity in just about any of its forms. To rethink Paul and the context from which he allegedly wrote is good news to me. When I studied this out for myself, I found Paul's teachings to be in conflict with Christ's in many areas.

I'm sure it's biased but this is one of the studies that I did which helped me out of Christianity.

That Paul's teachings are in conflict with Christ's in undeniable. Why else are so many Xians today scrambling behind "dispensationalism" to explain away Christ's "gospel of the kingdom", versus Paul's "gospel of grace"?

I've heard baptist preaching teach that the Old Testament ends AFTER the four Gospels. That Jesus was NOT preaching to "Christians", but to Jews, and therefore what he says to them does NOT have any bearing on NEW testament believers.

Christians receive THEIR doctrine from the epistles of PAUL, not the Gospels, nor the book of Acts.

Which makes no sense to me. Why HAVE a "savior" if what he says is considered bullshit?

It was this sort of spin doctoring that made me question the validity and SANITY of all preachers, and led me to study Xianity for myself. And the rest is history!

What is funny, is how hard Christians squirm to get out of having to follow OT laws, which were made by a supposedly unchanging god, the very one they claim to worship.  Then they get angry when anyone tries to get out of Christianity.

Exactly. For starters, they don't obey stuff in the OT when they don't want to, but they turn around and shove one or two verses pulled out of the Holiness Code onto gays and lesbians. Fundies don't mind mixing meat and milk or mixing different kinds of cloth or trimming the edges of their beards, but they pick out verses about human love from the same chapters and trot them out into the sphere of public law.

I still haven't lost the habit of quoting scripture! :HaHa:

One of my favourites is : "Our beloved brother Paul wrote to you according to the wisdom given him, speaking of this as he does in all his letters. There are some things in them hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other scriptures." 2 Peter 3:15-16.

PS.

Obviously this is a very late Christian writing, not by Peter at all! It's a dead give away that it refers to Paul's letters as scripture!