Goodbye Jesus

anthropological human sacrifice, cannabalism

been borg again

How obvious is it that Christian doctrine concerning repemption, blood, communion, is simply a repackaged concept of ancient cannabalism and human sacrifice?

It follows every theme to the T.

Ancient cultures who practiced Human Sacrifice and cannabalism all shared the same concepts and reasons for doing so. There is ABSOLUTLY nothing unique in the christian concept of the Cross and salvation message.

The gods were angry and needed blood sacrifice to appease their anger,

to attain " forgiveness" and blessing from the gods

preferably from a virgin or something innocent.

Blood was the magical "life force"

Cannabalism was practiced to magically " absorb" the redempive powers of the sacrifice.

Communion follows the exact same theme.

Cannabalism and human sacrifice is one the oldest and most wide spread human rituals since the dawn of pre-civilized humans ( google the words " pot polish" if you dont beleive me)

Even the Aztecks realized the common theme when the Spaniards brought christianity to South America... ( much to the surprise of the Spanish Christians, who failed to understand something that was so obvious to the Azteks)

How does it make you feel as a Christian to know you edify, support and are in love with the magical concepts of human sacrifice and cannabilism?

Guest Euthyphro

been borg again

How does it make you feel as a Christian to know you edify, support and are in love with the magical concepts of human sacrifice and cannabilism?

Hungry?

Hey! I have always thought the same thing. As a Christian, I was always looking for more insightful interpretations of the communion ritual, but I didn't find any. This kind of thinking doesn't relate to modern thinking, yet somehow Christians ignore common sense to participate is this kind of idea.

The deepest and most unique interpretations of salvation and communion I found (besides the really "out there" Christians like the gnostics) were in eastern orthodoxy.

It is the way that Christianity™ works.

It demonizes all other religious practices, absorbs them into itself, twists it around to make it sound "good", then accepts those practices as its own.

In order for Christianity™ to easily assimilate others, who were in to the blood sacrifice/eating the sacrifice thingy, they put the words into Jesus' mouth when they wrote that passage where he talks about eating his body and drinking his blood and doing that in memory of Him.

Of course, to some extent, this did have a good (read civilizing) affect on those who practiced it literaly, wouldn't you agree? :shrug:

The basic idea behind cannibalism and drinking blood is the transference of power and magical abilities, both in Paganism and the same works for Christianity. You drink the blood and eat the heart. It’s a mystical ritual, and shouldn’t be in Christianity if it was a true religion from God.

Actually, if we are going to look at communion from the aspect of an analysis on ritual cannibalism, I would compare it to the indigenous peoples of the Ecuadorian Amazon much quicker than I would the pre-conquistador Nahuatl practices of central Mexico. There are a few horticulturalist societies in the western Amazonian regions that practice what is known as 'compassionate cannibalism'. They eat their dead - after they die, they do not kill them - in order to take in the spirit and qualities of their kin, as well as to keep the body from the hands of shamans with ill intent. But for a Christian standpoint, this is much closer (wanting to take in the good of those they loved) to what is going on than the Nahuatl blood-lust that is much more akin to the gladiator blood baths of the Mediterranean. Yes blood=power, but there is different sort of mindset between the two.

Actually, if we are going to look at communion from the aspect of an analysis on ritual cannibalism, I would compare it to the indigenous peoples of the Ecuadorian Amazon much quicker than I would the pre-conquistador Nahuatl practices of central Mexico.  There are a few horticulturalist societies in the western Amazonian regions that practice what is known as 'compassionate cannibalism'. They eat their dead - after they die, they do not kill them - in order to take in the spirit and qualities of their kin, as well as to keep the body from the hands of shamans with ill intent.  But for a Christian standpoint, this is much closer (wanting to take in the good of those they loved) to what is going on than the Nahuatl blood-lust that is much more akin to the gladiator blood baths of the Mediterranean.  Yes blood=power, but there is different sort of mindset between the two.

Very good.

Bit it still is the mystical idea behind it, that "The Life is in the Blood" or "The Soul is in the Blood", like the Bible says.

Or like that oldie but goodie ( :Wendywhatever: ) 'There is pow'r pow'r wonder working pow'r in the blood of the lamb there is pow'r pow'r wonder working pow'r in the precious blood of the lamb'........

I'm not referring to the life force bit, but rather the mindset (after all, the mindset found in Tenochitlan was that of empire building, while in Amazonia it is humble reminiscence.... which is what communion is supposed to be.......)

Or like that oldie but goodie ( :Wendywhatever: ) 'There is pow'r pow'r wonder working pow'r in the blood of the lamb there is pow'r pow'r wonder working pow'r in the precious blood of the lamb'........

I'm not referring to the life force bit, but rather the mindset (after all, the mindset found in Tenochitlan was that of empire building, while in Amazonia it is humble reminiscence.... which is what communion is supposed to be.......)

I agree.

It is the way that Christianity works.

It demonizes all other religious practices, absorbs them into itself, twists it around to make it sound "good", then accepts those practices as its own.

In order for Christianity to easily assimilate others, who were in to the blood sacrifice/eating the sacrifice thingy, they put the words into Jesus' mouth when they wrote that passage where he talks about eating his body and drinking his blood and doing that in memory of Him.

Of course, to some extent, this did have a good (read civilizing) affect on those who practiced it literaly, wouldn't you agree? :shrug:

yes I think in that respect it was positive, that Christainity took a human sacrifice/ canabalism theme and turned it symbolic, instead of literal.

But just like the evolving concepts of Romantic Love,Law and Culture thruout history, just shows that christianity follows the same mechanism of evolution that all social constructions follow, thus man-made.

... Yes. As I was inquisitive about the archyology (Sp?) of Central America and the Aztecs back in the 1980's and 1990's. I started noticing the very same thing and I got wondering why the Bible didn't cover anything of this about this other side of the Earth. Why is the Bible discribing only that of the Meditranian Middle East Euroup part of the Earth? And no where else? And then I started wondering about a more ancient connection with all this to the myth of Christ, than most Christian Theist where willing to accept.

... And even the discovery of Dinasaur bones. The Bible doesn't seem to mention about all these discoveries for like... 'The End Times'?

... And it just got annoying me that other Christian Theist where saying all the answers are found in the Bible. It got annoying me. Really.

Its archaeology, btw ;)

Yeah, that was one of the hardest things being a xtian and an anthropologist... reconciling all the archaeological and paelozoological and paleobotanical data with what the bible has to say on things.

Indeed, what about the mesoamerican peoples?? Indeed, what about precolumbian societies, things like the founders effect, sites like Monte Verde and Meadowcroft? What about dinosaurs, what about australopithecene remains, what about the K2 line of 63 million years ago and the crater off the Yucatan that goes with it? What about all of those things?

I don't see how xtians can just ignore all of that because they just have to believe in the Bible or die. Good thing I was never a literal interpretationist, even as an xtian!

:ugh: