Goodbye Jesus

Will Atheists Burn In Hell?

Reverend AtheiStar

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story...8437&tref=y

Will atheists burn in hell?

By STEVEN G. VEGH, The Virginian-Pilot

© September 5, 2006

He's an electrical tradesman, a budding investor in real estate, a doting dad whose young son is infatuated with pirates. But in his busy life, Jeremy Martin still finds time to rebut accusations that atheists like him will burn in hell.

"I've seen people gritting their teeth and balling their hands up while they listen to me," said Martin, 33, who lives in Maple in Currituck County, N.C. "I've gotten some loaded statements like, 'What are you going to do when you find yourself in a lake of fire?' "

Martin's godlessness may be anathema to the region's large faith-based community, but he has like-minded company in Freethinkers and Atheists of Virginia.

The group, founded in 2002, draws people from South Hampton Roads and northeastern North Carolina to its gathering every other month. Their journeys to atheism are varied, but they share a concern: that society has become so biased toward religion, it threatens their freedom not to believe.

About 100 people are active on the group's Web site and in its e-mail chats on topics such as religion and science. Another local organization, the Tidewater Atheists Group, claims several dozen participants.

That small organized presence is typical of atheists' ranks nationwide. In a Gallup poll last year, 1 percent of respondents said they were convinced God does not exist, and another 4 percent said God "does not exist, but are not sure." The rest said God definitely or probably exists.

What frustrates atheists is not that they are outnumbered, but that they are reviled. "We are the last group in the United States who it's politically correct to hate and discriminate against," said Dave Silverman, a spokesman for American Atheists Inc., a 43-year-old national advocacy group. "In the Bible Belt, it's even worse."

At a recent gathering in Virginia Beach, several Freethinkers and Atheists members agreed that they often feel like outcasts.

"We get that all the time: 'It's a Christian nation - if you don't like it, why don't you just leave,' " said Lauren Floyd, a computer programmer who co-founded the local group.

It was a measure of the stigma atheists say they face that five of the 11 members present on this night last month refused to be interviewed. One man said he was job-hunting and feared that being known as an atheist could cost him employment.

Yvette and Matt Edwards, who live in Norfolk, said hostility was plain in the reactions their atheist-themed bumper stickers seemed to elicit from passers-by.

"We've had people raise their Bible and yell at us," Matt Edwards said. The couple ultimately stripped the fenders clean after wearying of finding scribbled messages such as "Go to church" and "God loves you" on their parked minivan.

"The reason I sound a little paranoid is I have to deal with all this stuff," said Yvette Edwards, who said she attends ECPI College of Technology.

Yet atheists have good cause to feel they are pariahs, according to a national survey by University of Minnesota scholars this year. Researchers found that Americans rank atheists below gay and lesbian people, recent immigrants, Muslims and other minorities in "sharing their vision of American society." In addition, "Americans are less willing to accept intermarriage with atheists than with any other group," according to the study.

Penny Edgell, a sociologist who led the study, said irreligious people often are seen as amoral because Americans' core values historically have overlapped with religious values. "Religiosity is seen as a proxy for being a good person," she said.

The stereotype of atheists as amoral and values-free was a particular frustration among members of the local Freethinkers group such as Matt Edwards, a former Catholic who works in a supermarket.

"I consider myself a very moral person," the 29-year-old father of two said. "I care for my children, my wife, my believer parents," he said. And, he added, he strives to treat others as he'd like to be treated, according to the universal values in the g olden r ule.

"It took me a while to decide I was an atheist because, if you use that word, people think you're like a serial killer: They can't believe you know right from wrong, that you can love people or care for people," said Jan Floyd, a biology teacher retired from the Virginia Beach school system who is married to Lauren Floyd, the Freethinkers' co-founder.

Several of those at the group's recent gathering said that despite being raised in religious households, they ultimately questioned whether it was right to believe in God and religion.

Martin, who was raised Southern Baptist, said he had nursed doubts about the Bible's veracity and claims by theists for years when the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks occurred.

"I remember holding my son tight, thinking, 'What kind of a God would do this?' And it hit me: 'Don't lie to yourself anymore. There is no God,' " he said. "That was it. That was my final straw."

However they arrived at atheism, members of the group said they shared not only disbelief in all religions, but an affinity for science, reasoning and logical argument based on evidence.

"Naturalistic explanations for things have always been far more satisfying for me than, 'God did it,' " Lauren Floyd said. He said he launched the group in 2002 to connect with like-minded people for fellowship and good conversation.

He, as well as Matt Edwards and Martin, also are contributors to FreeThoughtRadio, a locally based Internet broadcast station offering atheist-themed news, parody and programs such as "The American Heathen-Live!" The station did not respond to a reporter's e-mail inquiries.

Lauren Floyd said he has increasingly come to believe that atheists need to be both proud and loud to counter what he calls a post-Sept. 11 increase in public religiosity.

That climate, he said, foments public spending on faith-based initiatives and attacks on teaching evolution, as well as distrust of atheists.

"More and more of us are willing to stand up and say, 'Don't take this anymore,' " he said. His Freethinkers colleagues mulled over an interview request for a year before agreeing to talk to a reporter.

Silverman said the same assertiveness is driving American Atheists as it files lawsuits defending atheists and holds rallies such as last November's "Atheists in Foxholes" in Washington that celebrated atheist military veterans.

"You've got to fight back, and a lot of people are coming out" as atheists, he said. "We are definitely getting feisty."

Reach Steven G. Vegh at (757) 446-2417 or steven.vegh@pilotonline.com.

USER COMMENTS

Comments 1 - 10 of 10

Respect for each other's faiths (hide comment)

The problem I see with Athiests is that they don't seem happy with anything that has to do with religion, especially Catholicism. I'm a catholic, and it bothers when some comes over to preach me about religion, even from other catholics. There are a number of faiths out there that I may not agree with. But, I respect their beliefs. Who am I to say "You can't have that cross or Star of David, or whatever your faith's symbol is, at this cemetary. Leave the Boy Scouts alone, they're actually doing something good. Let's respect each other's faiths. Don't believe in God, fine. But, don't destroy everthing other people believe in just because you disagree with them. If you're an athiest, then be happy for yourself, and let those who believe in God, be happy with themselves. Life's way too short. Be happy with whatever you believe in. Let others believe in whatever they want to believe in too. Let's not waste our precious time on making each other's lives misserable.

- Iker S. - Suffolk Respect for each other's faiths (view comment)

Let's hear it for free thinkers! (hide comment)

I applaud people who are willing to think for themselves and not buckle to the pressure of those who presume to speak for God or tell other people how they must live. I do believe in God, but I don't believe in religion, and it is my belief that God is a loving God. The God I know does not condemn any of his children to burn in hell. He loves them unconditionally, the way we love our own children. It's a lot easier for me to respect people who believe there is no God than for me to respect people who believe in a book of myths, stories written by mortal men who claimed to be channeling God. God can speak for Himself, and I imagine he's quite appalled by the words and actions of those who presume to speak on His behalf. Unlike the portrait of God religion teaches, I doubt He is an egomaniac who needs to be worshipped. If God is as great as Christians say, He is far beyond the need to have people fall on their knees before Him.

- T S - Chesapeake Let's hear it for free thinkers! (view comment)

This is a Deist country, not a "Christian nation" (hide comment)

Hooray for this group. I am not an Atheist, but I am sick and tired of hearing about this "Christian Nation" thing. Do the research, very few of the founding fathers were Christian, they were mostly deists who thought Christianity was probably not a good thing. In fact, most of the people who made this country great like Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, Thomas Edison, Henry Ford and Benjamin Franklin were not Christians. Sure they mentioned God from time to time, but believing in God does not make you a Christian, and their views on Christianity were very well known. In fact, most of the modern day Christians do not even know that the theory of salvation by faith is only about 500 years old, started by a man who had not even read the new testament until after joining the priesthood and was later ostracized by his own followers! It really worries me when people have to consult a book to determine their values and to tell wrong from right.

- Ed Baskin - virginia beach This is a Deist country, not a "Christian nation" (view comment)

Father forgive them for they know not what they do! (hide comment)

"...he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. (John 3:18b-19).

- Betty K. - va beach Father forgive them for they know not what they do! (view comment)

God is True Love and His only desire is embraceing you in heaven! (hide comment)

Mr Vegh I love that fact that we live in a free will society and we as individuals have rights and freedoms to choose. This choice is a blessing and a curse at the same time. I say curse because what if we don't make the right choice. If you are open just read a few scriptures for yourself and then decide, there is no presssure and you can make the choice. In any Bible read.. The Entire Book of John and the The Entire book of Romans, then decide for yourself. Hope to see you in heaven with love.

- Nicole M. - Chesapeake God is True Love and His only desire is embraceing you in heaven! (view comment)

Atheism - - a sign of intelligence (hide comment)

Some So-Called Christians break their own rule of "loving others" as well as the foundational tenet of our nation, freedom to worship or not as we please. Faith is much more powerful when it is faith in yourself rather than in some mythological creature.

- Archie Whitehill - Norfolk Atheism - - a sign of intelligence (view comment)

At a gathering of Freethinkers (hide comment)

I was not aware that it ever cost anything to think? It is wrong to say someone will burn in hell, it is also wrong to stop others from having an opinion. The problem is pushing that belief on others, especially children. I raised all four of my children to look for Gods hand in everything around us, to pray for guidance and accept his help. However, for me believing in God is not an option. God has shown himself in my life so many times that I know he is my Father watching over me. In 50 years I have never met a true atheist, I do not believe they exist either. Atheists are simply lost and have stopped looking for God. The same is true of so many groups today. It comes from being a spoiled child. Evolution is what happens after the creation, so I believe that the creation must be taught as well in public schools.

- Ward Phelps - Suffolk At a gathering of Freethinkers (view comment)

Kooks (hide comment)

I think that some people have too much time on their hands and should mind their own business. Both religious nuts and athiest nuts.

- B-CAT GRAHAM - TOWNSEND Kooks (view comment)

Atheists (hide comment)

Dear atheists, God loves you too much to force you to go to heaven. Only people who want to go there, through faith in Jesus Christ, will go. You are free moral agents, responsible for your decisions - but eternity is a long time. Are you sure about this?

- John S. - Virginia Beach Atheists (view comment)

Athiests are going to hell! (hide comment)

Of course athiests aren't going to hell, because it doesn't exist. It's the needed fear component. I can understand the community aspects of religion, the social aspects of church. But religion itself is a drag on society. I used to be super tolerant to all religion, but the more and more people try to convert me, it has made me more eager to fight. I agree that it is risky stating ones feelings in our "free" society. Religion is often installed on people when they were kids with the support of their parents, so when you speak out against religion your speaking out against someone else's parents and upbringing. We discard so many other religions (greek mythology), but the popular ones are supposed to be right? History is full of religions, and I believe research shows that Christianity is mostly cut and paste from pre-existing religions. But people don't think for themselves, they don't question. They vote parties instead of issues.

- Ethan O. - Virginia Beach Athiests are going to hell! (view comment)

My real name is Matt Edwards and my wife's is Yvette.

Wow! Congrats on your courage. I fear that to 'come out' so openly would be financial suicide as I am a real estate agent in a very strongly evangelical market. It's interesting that most christians just assume that I am a christian. I don't correct them and as a former evangelical preacher I have no trouble conversing "biblically" with them. My family and close friends know that I am no longer a believer but not one person from my past has even attempted to 'bring me back into the fold'. They won't even talk to me about it... I'm sure they are afraid that if I "could be deceived" that they could be too.

Dear atheists, God loves you too much to force you to go to heaven.

:lmao:

It's amazing how absurd this stuff sounds now that I'm not a Christian. Sadly, a couple of years ago I could imagine myself saying the same thine.

It's amazing how absurd this stuff sounds now that I'm not a Christian. Sadly, a couple of years ago I could imagine myself saying the same thine.

Same here. Once you're out of the experiment, you wonder where you've been. It's like waking up from a very bad dream.

That was a very interesting article Reverend AtheiStar. I can't believe I used to follow that evil cult.

Congratulations. It takes balls to come out as an athiest in Virginia. Sorry to hear you had to strip your fender of all those bumper stickers, though. :(

I think this is a great thing! Keep up the good work. :)

Damn, those comments are insane. It takes balls to come out as an atheist in an area where people would say that. Good luck with it, I hope no one uses this article as justification to do anything to you.

Congratulations. It takes balls to come out as an athiest in Virginia. Sorry to hear you had to strip your fender of all those bumper stickers, though. :(

The author made it sound nicer than it really was. I was driven off the road twice on the freeway with my kids in the car. I was also cut off on the freeway several hundered times by people with some religious bumperstickers aimed at Atheists. The Christians here have no regard for children's lives.

Wow! Congrats on your courage. I fear that to 'come out' so openly would be financial suicide as I am a real estate agent in a very strongly evangelical market. It's interesting that most christians just assume that I am a christian. I don't correct them and as a former evangelical preacher I have no trouble conversing "biblically" with them. My family and close friends know that I am no longer a believer but not one person from my past has even attempted to 'bring me back into the fold'. They won't even talk to me about it... I'm sure they are afraid that if I "could be deceived" that they could be too.

Thank ya! I gave my name, yes, but if you notice I gave only a vague desciption of where I work as I too fear retaliation. I work in the grocery business and it'd be pretty easy to get me in trouble -- even if I did absolutely nothing.

I like speaking about the Bible, too, with religious colleagues, as well, as well as Atheists, at work. Just the other night I was discussing what the leviathan and the behemoth were supposed to be in real life with a Jehova's Witness! She said a crocodile and a hippo. I said it was an elephant and a fire breathing dragon. We agreed to disagree after just a short time, but ended with smiles.

It's funny how Christians have no problem speaking for a god they've never met. It makes sense, though, from a psychological perspective. Their god is nothing more than a program running in their mind. They own that version of Yahweh and fill him with what they feel are important personality traits. To this person, their god is loving. To anyone familiar with the entire Bible, and not just the few scattered happy verses, this usually is not the case.

Same here. Once you're out of the experiment, you wonder where you've been. It's like waking up from a very bad dream.

That was a very interesting article Reverend AtheiStar. I can't believe I used to follow that evil cult.

Thanks! I'm glad it came out as good as it did. We were all sketchy about it, but when we met the reporter we found he was a really great guy. It was a fun experience I wouldn't mind doing again.

About that, it wasn't because of the notes and flyers. It wasn't because of the people yelling and giving dirty look all the time. It was about someone, presumably a Christain, who was yelling at my wife and kids and trying to run her off the highway! We could handle all else, but that last act of terrorism was the last straw. We still have our UNBLVR plates and our Darwin fish, though. They don't see to elicit the same response. To view our former stickers go here:

http://www.reverendatheistar.com/plates_and_stickers.htm

I think this is a great thing! Keep up the good work. :)

Thanks! I thought so, too. We, as the unbelieving minority, need to show oursleves as often as possible. When the fundies realize they've known and been friends with us all along, they tend to act quite different! But you're a good person! Yeah, and I don't believe in any gods or goddesses.

Damn, those comments are insane. It takes balls to come out as an atheist in an area where people would say that. Good luck with it, I hope no one uses this article as justification to do anything to you.

They are, but it's precisly what I expected. We live right next to Fat Robberson. His cult compound can be seen from the highway. Jerry Fartwell isn't too far away, either.

I'm glad these Christians commented, though. They show exactly what we have to put up with. Did you catch the disbelief of disbelief in one of them? He's never met a True Atheist™ and posits even further that they don't exist. I know the argument he's likely using. He's under the false impression that to be an Atheist you have to know that his god, out of millions and millions of gods and goddesses we both don't believe in, does not, in fact, exist. Anyone adequately familar with Atheism knows it only takes a simple lack of belief in all deities, not certainty.

Doesn't the american constitution protect its citizens against this kind of persecution.

Looking in from the outside, it looks like the foundations have been corrupted by christian absolutism.

"I've seen people gritting their teeth and balling their hands up while they listen to me," said Martin, 33, who lives in Maple in Currituck County, N.C. "I've gotten some loaded statements like, 'What are you going to do when you find yourself in a lake of fire?' "
:Doh:

I guess the only way to get respect and make the constitution a workable document is to build up critical mass and a voice in order to exert pressure. At this point in time, I wonder how long the idea of separation between church and state is going to last...

Ideas are immortal. They do, however, need people to cary them along. I don't see SOCAS going anywhere. I do see it facing stiff opposition, though. That's ok, their opposition fuels our fight to defend the wall even further!

This is what I wrote in response to all the theistic insanity I was reading:

So many misconceptions, so little time!

Hi, my name is Matt Edwards. I was interviewed, along with my wife, Yvette, in the story above. I wanted to comment on a few misconceptions I see the theists here spreading around. First, Atheism, in the broadest sense, is only the lack of belief in all gods and goddesses. One does not have to "know" that there are no deities, though they certainly can if this is the way they feel as to "know" simply means to "believe without doubt" or "to picture with clarity." Second, beliefs are not conscious choices. I do not choose to not believe. It's just something that happened through exposure to science and reality. I can no more force myself to believe in the gods than I can the Tooth Fairy. Third, free will is an illusion -- or at least it would be if an omniscient deity were to exist. If a being knows all then he knows the future. If he knows the future, it's happened already. Divine Plan, anyone? We'd all just be actors in a play written eons ago - my Atheism included!

- Matt Edwards - Norfolk

Congrats RA. Heh well in a hypothetical world, being in heaven with "god" and bunch of bible thumpers would be hell to me. So no thanks. Long gone are the days when xians were the oppressed, now they're the oppressors. Ugh, fuck them, seriously, fuck them.

Congrats RA. Heh well in a hypothetical world, being in heaven with "god" and bunch of bible thumpers would be hell to me. So no thanks. Long gone are the days when xians were the oppressed, now they're the oppressors. Ugh, fuck them, seriously, fuck them.

It'd be like being in a wonderful palace with Hitler and his followers. What would you do if you died and were able to meet Yahweh? I'd charge the motherfucker with 100 billion counts of crimes against humanity! Why such horrible Malevolent Design? Why such Divine Negligence? Why have you been such a terrible father? Then I'd smack him in the face and say "Send me to Hell! I'd rather not spend an eternity with such a monster!"

Thanks, btw!

Hello, I am the one known as Jeremy Martin in the article. Me and Matt "Atheistar" had a hoot doing this for the reporter. We were yuking up a storm, cutting jokes here and there and making the reporter laugh at his own religion as well.

Oh, no doubt about that!

Bible thumpers and an eternity of worship? Why can't they just leave us alone for fuck's sake!

Oh, and I also hate it when I tell a sore Christian loser to go to Hell and they reply with a smartass remark like "If I die, I win! I go to Heaven!" :Doh:

Doesn't the american constitution protect its citizens against this kind of persecution.

Looking in from the outside, it looks like the foundations have been corrupted by christian absolutism.

:Doh:

I guess the only way to get respect and make the constitution a workable document is to build up critical mass and a voice in order to exert pressure. At this point in time, I wonder how long the idea of separation between church and state is going to last...

I am the Jeremy Martin in that interview, and I dont see our constitution lasting much longer the way our country is going right now. I have not suffered bodily harm for my outspoken atheism YET (a strong yet), but I have came close to being gang beaten on more than one occasion because I have defended my lack of belief.

Hello, I am the one know as Jeremy Martin in the article. Me and Matt "Atheistar" had a hoot doing this for the reporter. We were yuking up a storm, cutting jokes here and there and making the reporter laugh at his own religion as well.

I was nervous, at first, actually, but sitting next to Jeremy made me feel like a sixth grader at the school lunch table! lol... Yeah, it was definitely a lot of fun! I'm sure he got a lot more than he bargained for as was evidenced by him saying that he felt he should get "college credit" for attending! lol...

I'm off work today and tomorrow, but I called in and told one of the people about the article and she said she had already read it this moring with her breakfast. I had told everyone I was being interviwed and that it should be out soon so when she saw the title she said "Uh oh, this has to be Matt!" lol...

p.s. I posted this article on my MySpace blog as well:

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...0a-2644c288a896

Oh, no doubt about that!

Bible thumpers and an eternity of worship? Why can't they just leave us alone for fuck's sake!

Oh, and I also hate it when I tell a sore Christian loser to go to Hell and they reply with a smartass remark like "If I die, I win! I go to Heaven!" :Doh:

Hell, seriously, sounds so much better! How could Satan ever be as bad as the evil deity who created him in the first place?

Woo!! Congrats y'all on the article. That takes cojones to talk about in a place rabid with religious types.

I'm really glad you decided to say something publicly like that. It's scary to come out of the closet like that but exposure to real live atheists can eventually help show the world that we're not really a bunch of baby-eating amoral hedonistic freaks.

If'n ya ever do get to a point where they're rounding up atheists and shooting them in back alleys, the godless Pac NW will welcome you with open arms. But let's hope it doesn't ever come to that.

Woo!! Congrats y'all on the article. That takes cojones to talk about in a place rabid with religious types.

I'm really glad you decided to say something publicly like that. It's scary to come out of the closet like that but exposure to real live atheists can eventually help show the world that we're not really a bunch of baby-eating amoral hedonistic freaks.

If'n ya ever do get to a point where they're rounding up atheists and shooting them in back alleys, the godless Pac NW will welcome you with open arms. But let's hope it doesn't ever come to that.

Thanks. I'm quite happy at the results, too. We've had quite a few additions to FAVA's membership today! And the coments after the article! Wow, are they determined to prove all that we've said or what? lol...

Scary, indeed, but it is something that's necessary. Look at the homosexual community. Look how much acceptance they have garnered by simply saying they exist! Who would have thought gay marriage would even be discussed, much less debated, just ten years ago! But now, because of constant media exposure, their presense, as one poster on the Pilot site said very negatively, has been "normalized." The same is inevitable for us.

Rouding us up? Makes me think of V for Vendetta. The fundies would just love to bring back the 600 or so OT laws! I don't see it happening, though. They'd never get away with it. They don't work so obviously. They're much more subtle these days. They work in the shadows and by couching their desires in pretty terms like Intelligent Design.

Congrats :HaHa: ... and please keep clear of:

180px-Mperrin.jpgRecently, a bobblehead doll of Marguerite Perrin was sold on eBay for $870

She's one nasty God Warrior :HaHa:

god%20warrior.jpg:lmao:

Thanks! I've gotten so much positive feedback today that's hard to see the negativity coming from the theistic side as anything more than something to laugh at! lol...

What's funny is she looks so much like a woman I used to work with! lol... She was pretty nasty, too. (wipes forehead) I'm glad she's gone.

Rouding us up? Makes me think of V for Vendetta. The fundies would just love to bring back the 600 or so OT laws! I don't see it happening, though. They'd never get away with it. They don't work so obviously. They're much more subtle these days. They work in the shadows and by couching their desires in pretty terms like Intelligent Design.

Yeah, you're V and I'm the girl (can't remember her name).

Yeah, you're V and I'm the girl (can't remember her name).

Her name was Evie. V & Evie. :)

Her name was Evie. V & Evie. :)

Are you sure that's the way it's spelt? I thought of it more of a Evey, but maybe I'm wrong. Either way, funny or not I've been called Evey. Its not all that far off of my name, ironic. Add two T's and you've got Yvette ; )

Some of the comments have very good points. Some of them have very bad points.

I like the idea of everybody just leaving each other alone. Live and let live. I hate it when Christians shove their religion in my face because they know the Bible is true, I hate it when atheists shove their beliefs in my face in the hopes of converting me and in utter ignorance that anything along the lines of such behavior could be wrong, because "We're atheists and we're right."

I hate it when atheists call for the total destruction of spiritual life, the taking away of rights to breed, vote, hold office, etc. from people who believe in something, who envision a world where only people of their viewpoint would be allowed to live in peace, and then get pissy when you call thme a fundamentalist or dangerous (both of which they are). I like the people who comment on the idea of just live and let live. Let's stop trying to get everybody to agree with us or suffer the consequences.

Which makes the Christian responses so much more interesting. I wonder if any of them read any of the other comments and actually thought about them?

Some of the comments have very good points. Some of them have very bad points.

I like the idea of everybody just leaving each other alone. Live and let live. I hate it when Christians shove their religion in my face because they know the Bible is true, I hate it when atheists shove their beliefs in my face in the hopes of converting me and in utter ignorance that anything along the lines of such behavior could be wrong, because "We're atheists and we're right."

I hate it when atheists call for the total destruction of spiritual life, the taking away of rights to breed, vote, hold office, etc. from people who believe in something, who envision a world where only people of their viewpoint would be allowed to live in peace, and then get pissy when you call thme a fundamentalist or dangerous (both of which they are). I like the people who comment on the idea of just live and let live. Let's stop trying to get everybody to agree with us or suffer the consequences.

Which makes the Christian responses so much more interesting. I wonder if any of them read any of the other comments and actually thought about them?

Maybe so, but where do we draw the line? The mere mention of the word "Atheist" gets some so angry they can't see straight, as vice versa. So who makes the rules?

I mean some of those comments people are implying that Atheists take all religious things out of America (like prayer in school and what-not). Are they right? Who's got the authority to say so? How do we live and let live?