Goodbye Jesus

Omnipotence Paradox

Guest Zero

I was reading some of this and it seems some use this as an arguement against God. Is the Christian answer that God is simply beyond our understanding and that's why it does not make sense? What are your views on this?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omnipotence_paradox :shrug:

I was reading some of this and it seems some use this as an arguement against God. Is the Christian answer that God is simply beyond our understanding and that's why it does not make sense? What are your views on this?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omnipotence_paradox :shrug:

It doesn't refute god to a Christian, because the Christian can define Omnipotence in a way that makes sense, or just give the beyond understanding retort.

It may give the uneducated Christian a moment's pause though. Since many Christians are uneducated in this sort of thing by default, it wouldn't hurt to use the argument, if you eventually supply the possible explanations. You would want to supply the explanations because, 1. it's honest 2. they will eventually find them 3. it establishes your superior knowledge.

I actaully am a Christian however a very weak one in terms of biblical knowlage. I thought there were some verses in the Bible that says God is beyond our understanding an so forth, I am just not sure where they are. I suppose since I believe by faith I have no burden to prove anything if someone came up and approached me with this. All in all it seems to try and understand God with a human logic which may be the problem. Man I have a pretzel in my head.

Isn't that kind of fascinating to have a book that claims that God is beyond our understanding and by just saying that already makes a claim that can be understood... For something to be beyond our understanding, it needs the attributes of God to be the ones we can put words to. Otherwise it's just like saying "this round circle is not round."

Isn't that kind of fascinating to have a book that claims that God is beyond our understanding and by just saying that already makes a claim that can be understood... For something to be beyond our understanding, it needs the attributes of God to be the ones we can put words to. Otherwise it's just like saying "this round circle is not round."

Perhaps some parts of God are within our understanding while others are not. :shrug: Not sure. On a side note...Star Trek owns Star wars! :grin:

If you use terms that is understandable, then say that when applied to god they are incomprehensible, or beyond our understanding, you render those terms meaningless. Essentially, god is meaningless.

I actaully am a Christian however a very weak one in terms of biblical knowlage. I thought there were some verses in the Bible that says God is beyond our understanding an so forth, I am just not sure where they are. I suppose since I believe by faith I have no burden to prove anything if someone came up and approached me with this. All in all it seems to try and understand God with a human logic which may be the problem. Man I have a pretzel in my head.

Are you a new Christian then? Or were you raised to consider the bible to be unimportant?