Goodbye Jesus

My Thoughts On Fundie-education Video

Guest Praise Jebus

Guest Praise Jebus

Hi everyone,

As stated in my testimony, I am a former christian who attends a christian private school. This of course means that I still have to put up with a 45 minute dose of religious dogma everyday. Now it really doesn't bother me when they go on with the normal teachings and such, however, sometimes they pull out something so wild I can hardly sit there and take it. The past two days have been the latter.

It starts off with a teacher passing us out a paper, fill in the blank type. I look at some of the questions and already I'm annoyed. Then we start part one of the video. The tape has two alternating parts to it, the first a christian family in the style of full house, and the second a man preaching to children how intelligent and right the christian religion is. The following is a quick summary.

Christian Family Part 1:

A young girl and her brother are talking to what is later revealed as a friend who has come to visit after being away at college. The dad then walks in and they begin to chat it up. The kids reveal that the visiting friend has told them the red sea was no miracle, and that instead it was a sea of reeds and was a natural phenomena that parted the red sea. The dads face quickly turns grim, and he shows signs of being annoyed.

She then reveals that she has become buddhist, and that upsets the girl, but the boy makes several wise cracks about sumo-wrestling and Buddhism.

Christian Family Part 2:

The boy comes in the house saying he needs the computer for a science project tomorrow, and a brief scene of family talk goes on. The next scene shows the boy coming in with an obviously stereotypical nerd by his side. He starts talking about the project there doing, which turns to small talk between the dad and the nerd. One thing leads to another, and they get into the idea of the sun. He mentions that he studies the sun and is looking into the sun's eventual burning out. The girl asks in a confused manner, "Daddy, is the sun really going to burn out?" He answers her by saying that god would never let that happen. The nerd then tells him God has nothing to do with the matter.

Now in a once again grim attitude, the dad asks the Boy of his religious beliefs. The nerd tells him hes an agnostic. The story the ends with some more small talk.

Now, this is obviously showing the two non-christians as confused or "nerdy" as they are not of the christian faith. Disturbing as this is, non of my friends seemed to grasped this, and were easily manipulated by the shows message. Ill be sure to fill you in as to tomorrow's conclusion, as I'm quite into finding out what absurd things will be said. Cheers,

Praise Jebus

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

First, let me congratulate you for your fortitude in keeping sane in an insane asylum.

It's a common fundie tactic to suggest that any weakness and any forbidden knowlege will lead to destruction. In the first scene, the intruder is a college student. In the second, he is a stereotypically nerdy kid. Basically what the teacher's trying to say is that knowlege=sin. This can be traced back to the story of Adam and Eve. Eve ate from the tree of knowlege and was subsequently thrown out of the garden of Eden. Fundies encourage faith, not logic or reasoning. It is meant to make believers impervious to freethinkers' arguments. They simply don't get through to the fundie's brain.

Where is the mother in the video? She must be inthe kitchen, or praising God. It's up to the Father to brainwash the children. Father=God. Your perception of God is what your perception of your father is. (Source: C. Palahnuik)

All in all, it's a typical brainwashing video. Good luck in showing your friends the absurdity of fundimentalism.

Guest Praise Jebus

Very well said, and interesting summary on the knowledge is evil idea of Christians. Also, I purely forgot to mention the mother. She WAS in the kitchen, how odd. Ive also tried showing the absurdity of xianity to my friends, but they're too far gone I'm afraid, I mean I cant debate them about it without them changing the rules of science to support their religion. It disappoints me, but they have let up on their sparking debates on me, so I really cant complain. Cheers,

Praise Jebus