Goodbye Jesus

Wife Beating As Instructed In The Quran

KT45

Dear Fellows;

The above cited reference is having a mistranslation. Most of the muslims have made this mistranslation in their translations.

Omni,

Like most Islamic apologists you are being disingenuous. Of course Islam teaches to do this deliberately to infidels, so whether or not you are being deliberately misleading, if you were, your Islamic brethren would applaud you anyway.

The majority of translations disagree with you, but it hardly seems to matter. The Qur'an also does not levy a death penalty for apostasy, yet all major schools of Islamic jurisprudence agree that it is correct, presumably because it is in the Hadith of Sahih Bukhari. Apostasy is punishable by death in Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Yemen, Iran, Sudan, Afghanistan and Mauritania, and in Pakistan blasphemy is punishable by death as well. There is your Religion of Peace.

I am all for "translating" the terrible violence of Qur'an and Hadith into nicely sanitized happy sayings, but getting the majority of the Muslim world to accept such translations is mere fantasy. Be careful you do not do it too openly, lest you be seen as un-Islamic yourself.

• 3 years later...

i've heard that the passage should be translated "beat them lightly" ie, spank them.

So you're saying islam might actually be fun..? :wicked:

Damn, old thread. I was wondering who all these people were!

• Super Moderator

Damn, old thread. I was wondering who all these people were!

Maybe our current resident female from the Islamofascist group will offer her own deluded insights. Eemaan?

yeah, I didn't notice how old it was - but I'm wondering how it came back up for me to see it in the first place.

I don't really care if the translation means beat them if they don't obey, or kick them out if they don't obey. I don't obey my husband, I love him and therefore respect him so long as he is being respectable. And he respects me the same way. Obedience is for children and animals, and I am neither. This verse is still sexist, and still treats women as property, as a pet. If she cheats, by all means kick her out. But demanding any kind of obedience from her is wrong. If she loves you, she should respect you as a person. If you love her, you should respect her as a person. If there is no respect, break it off or work it out, but don't think she has to "obey" you because she married you.

This just doesn't make sense to me. If you want something to obey you, get a fucking dog.

Yes, Eeman, do comment.

Even if we accept Omni's translation (which obviously most Muslims don't), what about the Koran's tolerance for grown men marrying nine-year old girls? Surely this isn't a mistranslation as well? :scratch: