Goodbye Jesus

Confession

garrisonjj

How about the practice of catholic confession? For over 40 years I confessed the same sins over and over. You had to have true contrition, and vows of never "sinning again" in order to receive communion. I"ve come full circle realizing this is fuckin bullshit. Guilt and consumption over the fear of commiting mortal sin and burning in hell has been replaced by total atheism! I still have to go to church on occasion out of social constraints and I receive! Wow a mortal sin and walk out the church and say fuck it all! What freedom! Jeeezus fuckin christ I wasn't struck dead!

Please don't misunderstand. I believe I am a moral, upright person and treat others as I like to be treated. Its just so refreshing making religion totally irrelevant that I now find much energy and creativity replacing guilt,praying and humiliation of senseless confessions to a nonexistent being.

Anyone have similar experiences? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

As I said on another thread, about three years after leaving Christianity, I had to attend a Christmas service with family. I took the route of refusing communion. I found it wonderfully empowering to stay in my seat when everyone else went up to receive.

WOW I read you..go check out my testimony!

Up and down....same story if Catholic or Protestant. 40 years...sorry bro..long time...

Guest copacetic

Hey, you joined on my birthday!

Aside from the above useless tidbit - I went to a catholic school and I thank fuck that the priest we had to say confession to was a drunk and the nuns were always beating everyone up. I have always been contrary and even though I was young it was difficult shit to take seriously. I escaped early and while I'm sorry to hear that it took you over 40 years but all that counts is that you broke free!! It does feel great doesn't it?

I just recently posted my story (no, I wouldn't burn a nun alive) if yer interested.

Cheers

Hey, you joined on my birthday!

Aside from the above useless tidbit - I went to a catholic school and I thank fuck that the priest we had to say confession to was a drunk and the nuns were always beating everyone up. I have always been contrary and even though I was young it was difficult shit to take seriously. I escaped early and while I'm sorry to hear that it took you over 40 years all that counts is that you broke free!! It does feel great doesn't it?

I just recently posted my story (no, I wouldn't burn a nun alive) if yer interested.

Cheers

Oops. What happened there?

I think it's time for bed...

Oops. What happened there?

I think it's time for bed...

You probably hit add reply twice, duplicating the post. When you post back to back, not sure how quickly, it places it all in one post..

Or..

You hiccupped? :grin: