Goodbye Jesus

Church Dreams...

smellincoffee

Did you, when you were in Christianity (or now) have dreams about church -- specifically, about God and the rapture? It's remarkable to me that in 21 years, despite all of the indoctrination and brainwashing, that I have never once dreamt of the diety whose fanclub claims responsbility for making me. God has never been in any of my dreams. I dreamt about Thor once, though.

I've had two dreams about the Rapture. The first was when I was a little kid, and I dreamt about the Rapture happening at Sonic (we used to go there after church to eat), and all of the little kids who were too young to go just running around the parking lot playing. The second featured a youth trip to Wal-Mart (which draws Penny-costals like a moth to a flame). One of my friends vanished. I thought "Did the rapture happen? I don't see his clothes on the floor." Then I looked in the car, and there was his suit. I remember telling people that I'd go see if the girls were taken, and I remember walking around Wal-Mart, seeing people from church shop. The people I saw shopping were all people who I figured weren't actually all that saved. ;)

My other dreams at church all focus around the soundroom, where I work. People keep comign up there, hijacking the mixing board, screwing up everything, and then blaming me for their mistakes.

When I was little I used to have nightmares about hell.

When I was a church choir director, I used to have a frequent dream that I'd wake up after a night of partying too late to shower, and would drive to church wearing shorts and T-shirt. No problem, since I wear a choir robe. However, the architecture of the church would have changed so that the congregation saw my hairy legs and tennis shoes as I walked in.

Strangely enough, I had a nightmare last night about church. My wife and I met this guy while watching a ball game last night and he struck up a conversation. This led to an invitation to his church - one of the megaboxes in town. We politely declined. Last night I dreamed that this guy's pastor was holding us in the congregation at gunpoint, forcing us to donate to his ministry.

Well, smellincoffee, I can tell you I never had any dream about the rapture, because way back when I was a christian, my church didn't believe in it. It was considered a heretical belief. Since leaving christianity decades ago, I've never dreamed on any religious theme. I think dreams reflect our states of mind, and our need to do psychological "housecleaning". Perhaps when religious belief has little or no value in your life, those church dreams will go away.

I've never dreamed about the rapture but once I actually believed the rapture had taken place.

Me and two other young, single guys turned up at church because we were supposed to be going on some outing but nobody else showed up after half and hour or so. We tried calling and couldn't get through to anyone.

I thought we were part of the 144,000 male virgins left behind!