Goodbye Jesus

Slightly Updated Eximoney

evergreen

I think I posted a short intro/ex-testimoney when I first joined, but I couldn't find it.

Brief recap:

I was raised Pentecostal and tried hard to live the life. Eventually I became more and more liberal minded, probably due to spending time with people who had differing views.

Anyway, I'd always thought other religions were interesting, and when I was in high school, I would occasionally look up stuff about neopaganism and Wicca on the internet.

One time, I was looking at one Wiccan's personal webpage, and she had a link to a questionnaire that she wanted filled out if any Christians viewing her page wanted to witness to her. I'd had no intentions of contacting her telling her to convert to Christianity, but I was curious about the questions she had. So I read them. And after I was done my faith never recovered from the blow. It was the first time I'd ever heard such thoughts expressed. I was in turmoil for a little while, but a couple months later, I knew I wasn't a Christian anymore. I still stuggled with doubts and fears for a couple years after, but I never did try to call myself Christian again. (Well, except for when I'm lying to my family about it. They don't need to know right now.)

Anyway, that was more than four years ago, and I could never find the page with all the questions, but finally, I've come across it again! Here's the link! Go read! :)

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Olympus/5599/hpq/hpq.html

Probably some stronger Christians could have passed over that without a blink, but it sure ruined my faith! Yay! :D

Anyway, that was more than four years ago, and I could never find the page with all the questions, but finally, I've come across it again! Here's the link! Go read! :)

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Olympus/5599/hpq/hpq.html

Probably some stronger Christians could have passed over that without a blink, but it sure ruined my faith! Yay! :D

Thanks for posting this, evergreen. I read the first twenty or thirty questions. It's the type of questions I've had all my life even though I was born into Christianity and did not hear or read anything remotely like these questions. It's just a case of common sense. I don't think any thinking Christian can answer all those questions as requested and come away with their faith intact. Non-thinking Christians won't be able to answer the questions according to the standard set by the author. Very smart person.

Thanks for posting the link - this is amazing! Makes me think though that i was never really a 'strong' Christian. I would have crumbled after the first few. I would love to see if anyone ever managed to make a good go at answering them (in their own eyes anyway). I might need to try this out on a few of my Christian friends.

I actually tried to take this test. I realized that, were I still a believer, there would be no way I could answer these questions. I would have gone through the Bible and tried to rationalize these questions and it would have destroyed my faith. In fact, I only got to question #6 before I had to stop. I came to atheism through reading and studying and exploration of different religions. I realized that the bible just doesn't make sense when you weigh it against science and history.

Very good post. Thank you for the link.

What an awesome questionnaire! Glory!

This Christian took the test, and I have to say that I was impressed with most of his thoughtful answers, though he sure as hell didn't reconvert me! His answers don't change the fact that Christianity is based on a bunch of silly ancient myths.

http://www.angelfire.com/tx3/ephphatha/wcs/

To me they looked like standard atheistic questions, which can be answered with standard apologetics. I will be suprised if it shakes people's faith up. But i suppose there are always exceptions

They are great questions. I don't know if they would've led me away from the faith, but at the very least, they would've made me think.

Here is my favourite:

Explain why children should submit to their parents' decisions even when those decisions are clearly evil. Answering this question entails refuting Deuteronomy 21:18-21, Proverbs 13:24, and Hebrews 12:7-8.