Goodbye Jesus

How To Convince Someone The Rapture Wont Happen...

Warrior_of_god

I have a...very dear friend who believes the rapture will happen. I would really rather she not do anything stupid and I know shes not a religious fucknut. She claims she wont worry about the rapture but I think she will...because I know her so well. So, is there any way of getting her to see the light so to speak? If she wants to believe in this delusion thats ok, im not gonna force her not to but this rapture thing seems to me...unhealthy. Religion has always been a point of contention for us and i wanna try and do this as gently as I can...

Well, you can start with the fact that it's not biblical. The word "rapture" wasn't even used before the 1800's. Check wikipedia's rapture entry, under criticisms.

"When the student is ready, the teacher will come."

The only one that can change her now is her main source of knowledge. No, not the bible. It will either be her pastor, sunday school teacher and maybe her parents. Unless her teacher(source of spiritual wisdom) tells her that the rapture is fake she won't listen.

Other than that she has to figure it out for herself. She has to want to learn or she won't listen. When she gets to the point where she really wants the rapture to be fake she will be at a state where she is willing to listen to other explainations. Or she can stumble upon a website saying it is fake and start studying for herself. But her mentality must be set so that she will be willing to gain knowledge.

But if you can get her to "accidentally" bring up information showing that the rapture is fake then that might work. You'd really really have to make it look like an accident though.

Well, you can start with the fact that it's not biblical. The word "rapture" wasn't even used before the 1800's. Check wikipedia's rapture entry, under criticisms.

This is why I rejected the rapture, even as a Christian. There is no real biblical evidence for it. The scriptures brought up to support it (like the two people in the field and one get's taken up) are very weak evidence.

Ha! That reminds me of something I read recently in the "End Times Chat" section of the "Rapture Ready" message boards (yes, I admit to amusing myself by going over there and reading what the deluded have to say - it's like going to the zoo without leaving home). Anyway, someone there mentioned the origins of the Rapture and the response was along the lines of "oh, yawn, not that old canard again".

I know first-hand that the cognitive dissonance is so strong in Rapture believers that you can throw the truth at them repeatedly and they'll dismiss it just as repeatedly. In fact, not just dismiss it, but vehemently say that no one in the 1800s "invented" the Rapture because they're absolutely, positively sure the Rapture is foretold in the Bible.

When I told my family I didn't believe in the Rapture, their reaction was like I had said I liked strangling puppies or something. For the Rapture believers, it's their raison d’être and they simply cannot - will not - comprehend that it's a false doctrine invented by human beings.

Most people like to live in a fantasy land with visions of Heaven and hell and rapture in their heads...Its the facts!

The rapture is a perfect excuss..You can be in debt, run the world dry of natural resorces, elect nuts like Bush into power..And when it all goes to hell..

Read PEAK OIL, Global Warming ect....then God will rapture your worthless as to meet him the air... :loser:

Anyone who believes this total retard shit is beyound..help and those who watch and BELIEVE shit like "Left Behind" are even more hopeless....

Don't waste your time with these fools

Don't waste your time with these fools

I do not intend to waste my time on these fools, I intend to "waste" my time on a very special person.

If that dosent work, thats ok she can believe what she wants.

Well, since she's someone you care about, you can't really pull a George Carlin on her and completely dominate her with arguments.

Maybe she doesn't have that much self-worth, and she compensates by believing that Jesus is about to appear in the sky and invite her to heaven. Just a thought, I don't know her at all and it's just a suggestion that maybe you should consider.

I thought about that and decided its probably close to the truth. Ill do it gently.