Goodbye Jesus

Santa Does Not Have A Pet Unicorn

Guest copacetic

Guest copacetic

Right.

I need some advice on how to explain to a blithering fool that he is living in a fantasy land.

Though he is a blithering idiot when it comes to matters religious he is intelligent, logical and willing to hear my satan inspired ravings. He tells me that god wrote upon his heart that I will without a doubt become a christian (boy did he just make a silly case for god speaking to him) and whilst he believes this is true he will be willing to engage in dialogue with me.

Seriously, since I was never a 'hardcore?' christian I need some advice from some who were. He believes in faith healing, miracles and probably unicorns. Where do I begin in trying to show him that his personal relationship with jesus might be similar to his personal relationship with santa claus all those years ago?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Greetings Copacetic.

I see you have chosen to undertake "Mission:Impossible". Reasoning with a Christian isn't possible. I wouldn't bother, if I were you. Check out my entire position on this thread Why Christians Just Don't Get It. Within that thread (post #36) I have another link for Compartmentalization. Click that too.

BUT, if you insist on :banghead: then you can try using the link in my signature below for tools to use in your battle with this religious nitwit. I guarantee that nothing will work, since Christians are well trained to fear, deny and avoid rational thought.

Good luck, though.

There's gotta be a way, we just don't know it yet. One method I like to employ against those who won't give in to reason, is to ask a series of questions, whereby their answers invariably contradict or confuse each other, then when that happens, I go back and ask the first questions again, citing the contradiction or confusion as the basis for those questions not having been adequately answered the first time. Then when they screw up another of those answers by trying to explain away the first screw up(s), I ask those questions again, repeating the process. And again.

Now, true intellectual honesty would demand that they give the answer that they know I'm looking for, but of course they can't do that, so eventually they get pissed off and call me a name or bow out, saying let's agree to disagree, or some other bullshit.

If they ever gave the answer I wanted, I think my head would explode. I doubt that will happen, but they will utilize their logic to higher degrees than they're used to in order to defeat my argument, which I think, serves the purpose of tricking them into thinking about their beliefs.

Guest copacetic

Oh, it's become clear that it is not possible to reason with these idiots. It just breaks my damn heart that a good friend of mine is THROWING HIS LIFE AWAY through no fault of his own. He is new to it though and I have to try something otherwise what kind of friend am I? It's a perfect system and once you are trapped in the christian framework it must be so hard to escape it. The rationalizations that come out of their mouths... unbelievable.

Oh well, perhaps I'll just beat him up. :shrug:

It's like slapping a coma patient.

Sensitive onlookers with think you're just a big ol' meanie.

Pragmatic onlookers might wonder if the coma patient remembers the slap once they wake up.

The coma patient remains a coma patient. Utterly unchanged.