Goodbye Jesus

Question about Atheism

ML13

Well, a lot of philosophers feel that they have found truth, and want to share it.

Nihilism seems to be saying the only truth is that life is pointless, in which case, why share it? 

:nono:

How is atheism any different? :Doh:

Atheists are united only in refusal to believe in God. You could even distinguish strong, positive atheism (I believe that there is no God) from weak, negative atheism (I don't believe there is a god), which affirms a little less.

Atheists are not committed to believing that life is pointless. Existentialist atheists, for example (there were christian existentialists, too - e.g. Kierkegaard, Gabriel Marcel), would say by being human we have the responsibility to make free decisions and thereby to construct meaning for our lives. Atheists who are less consciously philosophical often feel that meaning or significance of their lives comes in their actions and relationships, which they pursue for their own intrinsic value, not because an extra entity called "god" tells them to pursue them. I spontaneously feel that other people, for example, have value. I don't push myself to articulate a fool-proof argument as to why my sentiment holds up; I just try to act on it, and my life is more fulfilled.

I hope this helps/makes some sense.

come back and post some more, ML!

objectively, life is pointless, purposeless, whatever. But since purpose and a point to living are subjective....that's where atheism is different, I think.

Why do people like to point out atheism's biggest plus as if it was a negative?

There's no "point" in a theistic sense, but i think that's a far better way to live, as you have freedom to choose your "point" rather than have it dictated by some invisible despot.

This can lead to far greater optimism or exaltation about life than any theist can muster. Why focus on those few who (in reaction to a loss of theism) choose to see a negative that is a reflection of religion's depiction of atheism, not its logical outcome?

I believe in what I myself can do for myself and for my life. There. That's not nihilism. That's saying there is no God dictating my actions and condemning me for being a sinner, because I don't follow His/Her/Its rules. My own personal morals may be close to a Christian's - according to my roomate, I'm a better Christian than Christians he knows - but I am not a theist of any kind. There is no God, but life has its points where I can find them.

I avoid questions from Christians about my atheism. They have all been taught some phrases to try and trick people into saying things that they have learned to pounce on. I am just not very good at defending my position verbally.

What have I learned to do in situations like that?

I tell them, “I believe that you believe your faith is true.” I say it in a mildly condescending manner then I immediately shut up. It drives them crazy. My goal was achieved.

Atheists are united only in refusal to believe in God. 

Or inability to believe...

I don't refuse to believe. I am prevented from believing. I am unable to believe.

As I think this over, Ficino, perhaps you infer that our inability to believe brings about our refusal to believe what we conclude is unbelievable. :shrug:

*sigh*

*gets form letter*

Dear Confused,

You seem to be under the impression that "faith" means "belief in anything." Let me politely inform you this is not the case. "Faith" means belief in something without sufficent or convincing proof. In other words, I know based on past experience that when I press 's', the letter 's' will appear on the screen. Were I to believe that a Supernatural Entity would come down from on high, posess my keyboard, and make all keys respond with the ascii character 's', I would be taking it on faith, since there is no evidence to that effect, indeed, there's the mountain of case history against that even being possible, much less likey.

I hope this has cleared up any confusion.

Sincerely,

Merlin

Head of Correctional Facilities and Classification Department,

EAC Headquarters

:nono:

How is atheism any different? :Doh:

Atheism is not "Nihilistic".... But I guess that depends on how one might percieve reality.

Im not denying that I'm living and breathing, I can respond to stimulus.

Atheist just do not beleive in god or any other super natural beings, thats all...

Any way how can you put atheism in to the same catagory as nihilism? There way different.

Nihilistic.

ni·hil·ism Audio pronunciation of "Nihilistic" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-lzm, n-)

n.

1. Philosophy.

1. An extreme form of skepticism that denies all existence.

2. A doctrine holding that all values are baseless and that nothing can be known or communicated.

2. Rejection of all distinctions in moral or religious value and a willingness to repudiate all previous theories of morality or religious belief.

3. The belief that destruction of existing political or social institutions is necessary for future improvement.

4. also Nihilism A diffuse, revolutionary movement of mid 19th-century Russia that scorned authority and tradition and believed in reason, materialism, and radical change in society and government through terrorism and assassination.

5. Psychiatry. A delusion, experienced in some mental disorders, that the world or one's mind, body, or self does not exist.

Atheist do not deny "all" existence.