Goodbye Jesus

Believing In God Can Kill You

Colin Benson

Yeah that is surprising seeing as at church we were always hearing statistics about how faith can help you live longer (the idea of being part of a community and staying active in old age i guess)... i can quite believe this report though as these days i'm always hearing about people dying in hospital with not a single visit from a member of their church. it's sad that people give up so much of their time to help in something they truly believe only to be forgotten about when they're no longer of 'use'.

Believing in god can kill you.

Especially if you believe in the wrong one in some places.

This is suprising....

Believing in god can kill you.

Jezusfuckingchrist! You mean there is noone there to cure you when you are sick? Fuck! What happens when all those miracles run out? Opps, It must have been my lack of faith! Good article.

Key factors that increased the risk of death were feelings of being "abandoned or punished" by God, "believing the devil caused the illness", or "feeling abandoned by one's faith community", the study by researchers at Duke University Medical Center and Bowling Green State University showed.

These all seem to be pretty easy for a Christian to warp around to being abandoned by God as the cause for their death rather than the psychological issues. While not valid, I can see Christians agreeing with this article as well and using it to argue for blind faith. Like, "don't ever feel that God has abandoned you, it could kill you."

Yes, it is always about blaming the individual that is suffering...Not blaming god. It is so repulsive.

I am glad that I've left Christianity every single day, because I no one in the church gives you support. They all just show up to look good.

Nothing ever happens because it "Just happens." If your house gets burned down then, "God is punishing you. YOu shouldn't have so many material possessions!" or if someone dies of AIDS then, "God's wrath struck them down for being _____(insert gay,bi,lesbian, and promiscous)"

When you are dying in a hospital bed how can you have peace of mind when you're going up against a vengeful diety?

It really is sad.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I do believing in a god can kill you. Not only beacuse some of what is mentioned in the article but also that alot of faithful people don't seek proper medical treatment because they believe that god will heal them.

Besides the oldest person I know is my grandpa, who is 99 years old, and he's an atheist. My siblings (who are like deacons, preachers, and sunday school teachers) are always trying to argue with him and he tell's them that he read the bible all the way through when he was a teenager and came to the conclusion it was fictional.