Goodbye Jesus

Baptism

Guest genesis

I was told by a Pastor that I was NOT a real Christian because I had NOT been baptised in water. Does anyone if this is true?. Is this in the Bible?

I don't believe this to be so because I can remember clearly when I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior and immediately was baptised into the Holy Spirit or Holy Ghost. For years I never got baptised in water as Jesus himself did as an example for Christians to follow. And I considered myself to be a Christian because I knew I had the Spirit.

But this legalistic, Apostolic pastor in a very judgmental tone of voice told me straight out that I wasn't even born-again because I had NOT been baptised in water. I practised my Christianity daily even without attending any church and I knew who's voice I followed (Jesus Christ) but I don't understand how can he say that I wasn't a real Christian unless I was baptised first into water. He told me there are many baptisms in the Bible.

Can anyone help?

Why do you even care? In your profile you profess that YOU are your own god. Why should you care what Xtians think?

because it pisses me off that I was told this by this jackoff of a man. that's why.

someday, Ahhhhh, someday I'd like to stand up to this bastard pastor and tell him what I really think of him and his legalistic practices and tell him what a job well done I attribute to him at separating families all in the name of God.. I lost my children to this son of a bitch pastor

Define "True" Christian.

Again, there is no such thing. To ask us if being baptized is a requirement to be a true Christians presupposes there is a true Christian in the first place. There aren't any true Christians. There are:

• People that call themselves Christian (followers of mythological man named Jesus)
  • People that think they are married to Jesus
  • People that think Christianity is false (Jews, Atheists, Taoists, Pastafarians, etc.)

Bruce

"Apostolic" -- that's how I was raised, and they follow Acts 2:38, and that's where baptism is mentioned. I was actually told once that I wasn't a real Christian if I didn't have the 23rd Psalm memorized. :lol:

It looks like what's really at issue is this "pastor", not the ritual. (And, yeah, he seems like a jerk)The ritual itself means nothing. It's just a gesture. Getting baptised doesn't make you a "christian" any more than shooting an arrow makes you an indian.

True Christian : A self-proclaimed Christian usually considers True Christians only those who agree with him/her 100%. If the self-proclaimed True Christian doesn't like what the other self-proclaimed True Christians are saying/doing, he/she then proclaims them Not Real True Christians . This is pretty much the way it goes for most denominations of Christianity, and the other Abrahamic religions as well.

So no matter what you do, say, or believe, there will always be someone who doesn't consider you a Real True Christian because you can't make every Christian on the planet agree with you 100%. At least, not without forcibly brainwashing them.

Some denominations view baptism as a requirement for salvation, others only as a strong suggestion not a requirement.

Acts 2:41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

Acts 8:12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.

1 Corinthians1:16 And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other.

However, as far as being a Christian, there are eight things you must do.

1. Luke 10:25-28: Love God with all your heart and soul, and your neighbor as yourself.

And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?

He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?

And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.

And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.

2. Luke 18:19-22: Do not commit adultry; Do not kill; Do not steal; Do not bear false witness; Honor your father and your mother; Sell everything you own and give it to the poor and follow Jesus.

And a certain ruler asked him, saying, Good Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?

And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God.

Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother.

And he said, All these have I kept from my youth up.

Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.

3. Luke 14:26-33 Hate your father, mother, (but you have to honor them) wife, children, brethren, sisters, and your own life (but you have to love them as yourself). Bear your own cross, and again give up everything you have (it's so important that Jesus says it twice)

If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.

So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.

4. John 6:53-56 Eat flesh; Drink blood

Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.

He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him

5. Matthew 18:3 Become as little children

And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

6. John 3:3-8: Be born again (they use this for Baptism, but it doesn't really say that)

Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?

Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

7. Matthew 5:20 Be more righteous than the scribes and Pharisees. They followed the 613 laws of the Old Testament and over 100 laws concerned animal sacrifice. (You have to do it better than they did, and still be like a little child.)

For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

8. John 3:16 Believe on Jesus

I was told by a Pastor that I was NOT a real Christian because I had NOT been baptised in water. Does anyone if this is true?. Is this in the Bible?

Can anyone help?

Yeah...that old line. They all say that! The pastor's want YOUR business.....at least that's how I see it.

Ah......no such creature as a 'true' christian. Let me know if you find one. How can anyone tell?

As far as all the different modes of 'baptism'.......imo...there ain't no such thing as a 'changed' individual. Meaning people are not without 'imperfection' after being dunked by a person calling himself a 'pastor'....in the sea or in those creepy plunge pools.

I think dunking kids is where it departs from 'proper' adult behaviour. :wicked:

I don't believe this to be so because I can remember clearly when I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior and immediately was baptised into the Holy Spirit or Holy Ghost. For years I never got baptised in water as Jesus himself did as an example for Christians to follow. And I considered myself to be a Christian because I knew I had the Spirit.

But this legalistic, Apostolic pastor in a very judgmental tone of voice told me straight out that I wasn't even born-again because I had NOT been baptised in water. I practised my Christianity daily even without attending any church and I knew who's voice I followed (Jesus Christ) but I don't understand how can he say that I wasn't a real Christian unless I was baptised first into water. He told me there are many baptisms in the Bible.

Can anyone help?

Well actually yes, the bible does require baptism which means immersion. Here are some of the proof texts

Mark 16:15And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. 16He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Acts 2:37Now when they heard this, they were pierced to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, "Brethren, what shall we do?" 38Peter said to them, "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39"For the promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off, as many as the Lord our God will call to Himself."

1Peter 3:20who once were disobedient, when the patience of God kept waiting in the days of Noah, during the construction of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through the water. 21Corresponding to that, baptism now saves you--not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience--through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, 22who is at the right hand of God, having gone into heaven, after angels and authorities and powers had been subjected to Him.

At my church if you were not baptized in water you would descend into the fiery pits of hell...Do not pass go, do not collect 300 dollars...

Overall, it is all just a crock of bull.