Goodbye Jesus

Informal Debate: Why Are You An Atheist?

Asimov

Non sequitur.

How is it a non-sequiter?

Mythology is based on mythology. It does mean that the gods mentioned there in are myths, and not real. They are not based on actual events and most likely based on misconceptions of perceived events by a scientifically ignorant people.

Mythology is based on actual events.

Many scientifically knowledgeable people believe in God. They still perceive events to be formed by God.

Non sequitur.
How is it a non-sequiter?
A non sequitur is an argument where the conclusion is drawn from premises which aren't logically connected with it. For example:

"Since Egyptians did so much excavation to construct the pyramids, they were well versed in paleontology."

(Non sequiturs are an important ingredient in a lot of humor. They're still fallacies, though.)

Your reply had nothing to do with anything I said.
Mythology is based on mythology. It does mean that the gods mentioned there in are myths, and not real. They are not based on actual events and most likely based on misconceptions of perceived events by a scientifically ignorant people.
Mythology is based on actual events.
Uh.... sorry.... it isn't. If it were it's be called history and not mythology.
Many scientifically knowledgeable people believe in God. They still perceive events to be formed by God.
Which god? One of those mythological gods? Just because they "perceive" something doesn't make it real.

Yes it did. There exists concepts of God outside literature, you reject all the gods inside literature, what about them?

Mythology is based off of history. Common usage defines a myth as a falsehood, but in regards to religion, culture, and literature, mythology represents actual events.

Look at Christian mythology...obviously some of the people and places existed but the events surrounding them might not be what the bible says happened. That's mythology.

Which god? One of those mythological gods? Just because they "perceive" something doesn't make it real.

No, but just because you say it doesn't exist doesn't make it not exist either. It may or may not be a mythological God, you'd have to ask some of them. What about Deists?

Yes it did. There exists concepts of God outside literature, you reject all the gods inside literature, what about them?
It's still a non sequitur no matter how you try to twist it. There are no gods outside of literature, if you think there is, show me..... oh.... I forgot.... you can't since gods do not exist.
Mythology is based off of history......
No. History is based on history, mythology is not. That's why it's called mythology and not history. Sorry, your line of argument here isn't going to work.
Look at Christian mythology...obviously some of the people and places existed but the events surrounding them might not be what the bible says happened. That's mythology.
That does not make any of it based on history. Even a stopped watch is right twice a day. Just because they got a few things right and included some cities of the day, does not make it history.
No, but just because you say it doesn't exist doesn't make it not exist either. It may or may not be a mythological God, you'd have to ask some of them. What about Deists?
What I have to say doesn't matter. What the proof has to say does. So far there is no proof that a god of any kind exists anywhere and there isn't even a hint that there might ever be any such evidence ever. The Deists god is still based on the mythological concept of a god. They don't get any special credit because it's not the christian god.

It's still a non sequitur no matter how you try to twist it. There are no gods outside of literature, if you think there is, show me..... oh.... I forgot.... you can't since gods do not exist.

What are you talking about? Literature is predated by religion by quite a few thousand years. Even the Jews passed on their traditions orally before putting them down into writing. So...there are gods outside of litereature.

That does not make any of it based on history. Even a stopped watch is right twice a day. Just because they got a few things right and included some cities of the day, does not make it history.

I didn't say it made it history.

What I have to say doesn't matter. What the proof has to say does. So far there is no proof that a god of any kind exists anywhere and there isn't even a hint that there might ever be any such evidence ever. The Deists god is still based on the mythological concept of a god. They don't get any special credit because it's not the christian god.

Ok, what's a mythological concept of a god? Could you define what you mean by that?

What are you talking about?
Reality.
I didn't say it made it history.
Your insuination is that mythology is true since it is based on histsory.
Ok, what's a mythological concept of a god? Could you define what you mean by that?
Any concept of god is mythological since the only source of any concept of any god is mythology.

Reality.

Ah, ok.

No it isn't.

Any concept of god is mythological since the only source of any concept of any god is mythology.

That's not defining what you mean by mythological concept, dave.

Reality.
Ah, ok.
No it isn't.
Oh, I see.... they story changes. :grin:

Reality.
Ah, ok.
No it isn't.

No, and neither does your misrepresentation of it.

What do you mean by mythological concept of God? You still haven't defined it.

I have, you just didn't like my definition, so I don't know what to tell you. :shrug:

I have, you just didn't like my definition, so I don't know what to tell you. :shrug:

No you haven't, you've just said that the mythological concept of god is derived from the mythologies. First off, which mythologies? Second, the mythologies must provide a description of God; that description would be your mythological concept.

No you haven't, you've just said that the mythological concept of god is derived from the mythologies.
That's the answer.
First off, which mythologies? Second, the mythologies must provide a description of God; that description would be your mythological concept.
All you need to do to figure this out is take the definitions of the two words and add them together. I am sure you didn't get this far in life without knowing what a myth is. As for the god part, take any honest description of a god that you want.

Maybe I have ssumed too much of you so I'll help you with some help from dictionary.com:

god: one of several deities, esp. a male deity, presiding over some portion of worldly affairs, or a supreme being according to some particular conception

That's pretty inclusive.

myth: 1. A traditional, typically ancient story dealing with supernatural beings, ancestors, or heroes that serves as a fundamental type in the worldview of a people, as by explaining aspects of the natural world or delineating the psychology, customs, or ideals of society: the myth of Eros and Psyche; a creation myth.

But you already knew those definitions.

No you haven't, you've just said that the mythological concept of god is derived from the mythologies.
That's the answer.
First off, which mythologies? Second, the mythologies must provide a description of God; that description would be your mythological concept.
All you need to do to figure this out is take the definitions of the two words and add them together. I am sure you didn't get this far in life without knowing what a myth is. As for the god part, take any honest description of a god that you want.

Maybe I have ssumed too much of you so I'll help you with some help from dictionary.com:

god: one of several deities, esp. a male deity, presiding over some portion of worldly affairs, or a supreme being according to some particular conception

That's pretty inclusive.

myth: 1. A traditional, typically ancient story dealing with supernatural beings, ancestors, or heroes that serves as a fundamental type in the worldview of a people, as by explaining aspects of the natural world or delineating the psychology, customs, or ideals of society: the myth of Eros and Psyche; a creation myth.

But you already knew those definitions.

Don't be a jerk. My point was that there can't be a generic 'mythological concept of god' because there are so many myths, each very different from each other. Unless you provide the information contained in a specific myth your answer means nothing. Jerk.

I didn't see your definition. I see it now.

Anyways:

A deist doesn't use a mythological concept of god.