Goodbye Jesus

Christians Have No Real Morals

sithprincess

Well, clearly it wasn't obvious or rumpelstiltskin wouldn't have responded as s/he did. And no, not everyone is familiar with the ultra-fundamentalist (and small) sect of Christianity, and add to that I've seen a lot of anger towards Christians and Christianity on this forum, so it wasn't clear to me whether the OP was talking about all Christians, all evangelicals, or just some s/he'd met.

Yes there is a lot of anger here. As I understand it, this is one of the few places on the internet where anger towards religion is given the opportunity to be let out. Anger is just an emotion. What one actually does with such anger is what makes that state of mind positive or negative. I prefer people come here and just textually "explode", vent, and express themselves as strongly as they wish; as opposed to bottling up and leading to health problems, or worse expressing rage physically in real life.

BTW welcome Rumplestiltskin.

Oh, I wasn't saying there was anything wrong with anger. Not at all. It's good and healthy and normal. Just that it is present here so I was honestly confused as to whether the OP was talking about all or most or even many Christians as having no real morals.

I don't disagree. Someone once posted a statistic about Christian countries having more incarcarated people than non-Christian ones. Anyone remember where that post was?

This might not be related. Correlation is not causation.

In countries with strict Sharia law for example, there might well be fewer incarcerations. (but more 1-handed burglars!!)

ie: The level of incarceration is not necessarily and indicator of a nation's level of morality.

regards

Stew

Oh, I wasn't saying there was anything wrong with anger. Not at all. It's good and healthy and normal. Just that it is present here so I was honestly confused as to whether the OP was talking about all or most or even many Christians as having no real morals.

Ah, I see. Makes sense now. :)

Yes there is a lot of anger here. As I understand it, this is one of the few places on the internet where anger towards religion is given the opportunity to be let out. Anger is just an emotion. What one actually does with such anger is what makes that state of mind positive or negative. I prefer people come here and just textually "explode", vent, and express themselves as strongly as they wish; as opposed to bottling up and leading to health problems, or worse expressing rage physically in real life.

Yes, aside from blog/personal journal sites (and even on those sites, there's a chance of getting banned for what you write in your rants if they are public and someone is offended), there are few places where people can vent safely.

IMO, it's far better to vent online than let anger destroy your real life.

IMO, it's far better to vent online than let anger destroy your real life.

Not to mention being virtually alone in our beliefs in real life. That's hard. Many of us live in very Red states, or in the bible-belt, and Christianity has it's sticky, bloody, and ignorant fingers into everything in those places.

Not to mention being virtually alone in our beliefs in real life. That's hard. Many of us live in very Red states, or in the bible-belt, and Christianity has it's sticky, bloody, and ignorant fingers into everything in those places.

Yeah. I'm lucky that I know a couple of people who deconverted in real life. But among my family, I'm the only one I know, and I have never really fit into my family anyway, even when I still believed. I have nothing in common with them except that we live in the same state (most of us, anyway) and share the same last name.

I think the title of this thread is pretty alarmist tbh.

I'm not sure I understand the word "alarmist" in this context. By posting it, I did not create a health scare, a nuclear bomb scare, or a "It's the end of the world!" scare. I doubt I alarmed anyone.

For clarification, when I posted, I posted my own thoughts, which reflect much of what I have seen around me. I was basically referring to fundamentalist christianity, but if you like, I can throw in a portion of islam, or any other text-based religion. Anytime you are taught to live by a "manual", most do fail to some extent to work out their own morals. To some extent, one cannot have their own morals as some morals may conflict with the "manual" they have to live by. That was my point, nothing more, nothing less. I was one of those people that had always lived "by the book" and when I no longer had it, I went through a brief time of being afraid that I would not have any moral compass any more. It worked out fine for me, but a large part of what helped me in the morality department while I deconverted was my tendency to try to see things from others' point of view while I was still a Christian.

I was basically referring to fundamentalist christianity, but if you like, I can throw in a portion of islam, or any other text-based religion. Anytime you are taught to live by a "manual", most do fail to some extent to work out their own morals.

I don't believe you find strict parents only in fundamentalist churches. All Christian churches promote strict morals. All Christian churches also have a variety of personalities among their members: those who believe and practice the dogma, those who believe and ignore the dogma, and a bunch of people in between.

I do not believe that we need to make any difference between different kinds of Christians because the real problem is their textbook, as stated above by Sithprincess.

I also disagree with a comment posted above (somewhere) suggesting that most Christians are nice. That is a personal perception. We ALL met different Christians and are bound to have had different experiences.