Goodbye Jesus

Am I Depressed?

redross

I don't believe I have a purpose in life...there, I've said it.

Many others think that, because of this fact, I must be depressed or feel empty inside. To this, I say 'Nay!'. I don't need a sense of purpose to feel fulfilled or happy, in fact, I think purpose is a human construct developed to explain the existence/function of things.

I am happy, I am fulfilled, I am inquisitive. I don't believe in god, I don't believe I have a purpose. I still strive to better myself (in my personal view) and I don't feel lost as a result of a lack of purpose.

The bottom line: people equate the things we do with the things we were meant to do. They say 'a heart pumps blood to keep us alive'. I say: 'we stay alive because our hearts pump blood'.

Those without purpose unite and be merry!

Redross, I like the cut of your jib! :goodjob:

Me, I make my own purpose, but I also really enjoy having no destiny or fate or whatever. I don't need a god to give my life meaning.

And if I decide I have no purpose after all, then I'll just kick back and enjoy life! :grin:

I used to have a porpoise...

But then he outgrew his tank and I had to let him go. :HappyCry:

:HaHa:

Ja, sad thing that.

I don't believe that I have freedom either...go determinism! Good to see that there are other wandering souls out there.

I don't have a purpose either. I also don't have dreams. I just have a bunch of stuff I want to do in life, but I'm not going to lie on my death bed going "I wish I had done such and such while I had the chance..." Dreams and Purpose are designed to justify why you're alive, and why should you have to do that?

My life has meaning just because I'm alive. It's impossible to explain that to people though. A man without dreams, purpose, and ambition isn't much of a man.

So I know exactly where you're coming from. It's really quiet freeing having 'nothing to do.'

Guest Freethinka

The topic of "purposes" is a really good one. I absolutely HATE when something bad happens- like a child dies in an accident or something- and ppl say "god had another plan for Jimmy..." What a bunch of nonsense. Saying that we all have a "purpose" in life is along the same lines. Life happens- there is no real purpose- you live, then you don't live! I think as we grow up we each may personally have a "purpose" or goals. My goals are not the same as your goals. Are personal goals the same as a purpose? A purpose is the function of something created- for that particular function. We weren't created, so we cannot have a purpose. So, I suppose a personal goal could be a purpose. It's all up to us and what we want to do- which is the beauty of being alive- without god/gods!

Redross wrote:

I don't believe in god, I don't believe I have a purpose. I still strive to better myself (in my personal view) and I don't feel lost as a result of a lack of purpose.

Striving to better yourself is a purpose, it's just an internal purpose, not one driven by an external revealed theology. Your attitude, btw, is indistinguishabe from what it would be with a laissez faire God. Fulfillment, despite what the mainstream religions tell you, is always self actuated and felt.

Kurari wrote:

A man without dreams, purpose, and ambition isn't much of a man.

....It's really quiet freeing having 'nothing to do.'

Do you mean having nothing you're supposed to do? Doing nothing sounds very boring. Can't dreams, purpose and ambition be internally driven? You statements appear to be saying you aren't much of man????? :shrug:

Freethinka wrote:

A purpose is the function of something created- for that particular function. We weren't created, so we cannot have a purpose.

I think as we grow up we each may personally have a "purpose" or goals.

Don't these statements contradict each other?

Could the natural universe have been created in order to spawn such sentient creatures as us, so that each of us could naturally and rationally decide on his own purpose?

I think this is a great thread!

Now I have a question...How do you train yourself out of trying to find some "PURPOSE?"

Current pop culture(especiall friggin Oprah) tells you all this stuff about finding "purpose" and "using" your life for something...And, unfortunately, I have been sucked into that...Gradually, I feel myself letting go of those constraints but how do you stop, completely?

Well, you could always try it my way and just be a cynical bastard (not old enough to be a codger yet). :HaHa:

I think purpose is a human construct

Exactly, and well said.

Christians don't have a purpose either, they just don't realize it. They've been duped by a band of primitive delusional sheeherders who lived over 2000 years ago and documented their hallucinations in a dusty old book we call the Bible. I think many would agree if the characters in the Bible were alive today they would be promptly institutionalized (and possibly lobotomized) to protect the general population.

I would rather stick with objective reality, which is purposeless...

I don't believe in any organized religion, but I still think I have a "purpose", if you choose to call it that. I don't feel that I am destined to do anything...but I think the most important thing for the advancement of our race is the study of our Universe.

I am amazed at how little people care about all these exciting discoveries we are making. HAve you seen the new pics from mars? Have you read of the new telescopes we are building that will be able to look out into space ten times further than anything we have now?

The further we look into space, the further we are looking into our own past. No myths, no stories, no religion, just science and facts. I, for one, am extremely excited about the discoveries we may make in the next 20 years.

I am hoping that by the time I finish college there will be much better paying jobs for fields in astronomy. I want to major in Geology, but I am hoping that I can major in Planetary Geology...again, if the pay is worth the 4-5 years of college and I can live well.

Kurari wrote:

A man without dreams, purpose, and ambition isn't much of a man.

....It's really quiet freeing having 'nothing to do.'

Do you mean having nothing you're supposed to do? Doing nothing sounds very boring. Can't dreams, purpose and ambition be internally driven? You statements appear to be saying you aren't much of man????? :shrug:

Yeah, I'm really not much of a man considering I'm female. :HaHa:

Forgive my sleep deprived non-sequiters at Stupid O'Clock in the morning. I meant to write that society considers a man without dreams, purpose, and ambition isn't much of a man. As Redross said, people consider him to be depressed because he doesn't have a purpose and they don't stop to consider maybe it's not necessary.

I find it really quiet freeing having 'nothing to do,' meaning I don't feel this driven need that I have to get to "cosmic work" before my life runs out. I honestly can't think of anything I "should" be doing or have a burning desire to do anything that consumes my every waking moment and I don't do it, my life is absolutely meaning. I have stuff I like to do in daily life, but I already do most of the stuff I want to do already and occasionally try new things to better myself. Like for example, I taught myself to crochet yesterday.

All dreams, purpose, and ambition are internally driven. I just decided to take the bus instead. :lmao:

All dreams, purpose, and ambition are internally driven. I just decided to take the bus instead. :lmao:

Those who take the bus are in danger of contamination from externally driven people. :lmao:

I don't believe I have a purpose in life...there, I've said it.

Many others think that, because of this fact, I must be depressed or feel empty inside. To this, I say 'Nay!'. I don't need a sense of purpose to feel fulfilled or happy, in fact, I think purpose is a human construct developed to explain the existence/function of things.

I am happy, I am fulfilled, I am inquisitive. I don't believe in god, I don't believe I have a purpose. I still strive to better myself (in my personal view) and I don't feel lost as a result of a lack of purpose.

The bottom line: people equate the things we do with the things we were meant to do. They say 'a heart pumps blood to keep us alive'. I say: 'we stay alive because our hearts pump blood'.

Those without purpose unite and be merry!

Listen...you have a few things goin against you in this regard. I would have to conclude that you're unhappy, hateful and probably suicidal.

1) You're an atheist.

2) You haven't accepted Jesus.

3) You don't believe you have a purpose.

4) You dont' believe you are free to make a choice.

5) I don't live near you anymore.

All these clearly point to the fact that you hate life and have no reason to live.

What's next? Goth clothes, eye make-up and school shootings?

I think we make our own purposes in life. I get annoyed with the people who think that we all need to be doing something heroic or whatever. Why can't our purpose in life be to enjoy it?

Yeah, I have goals in life. I want to write a novel and hopefully get it published someday. But that's not my sole reason for living.

Well, way to spring it on a guy. You sure don't look like one--ummm, except maybe for my dominatrix.

Listen...you have a few things goin against you in this regard. I would have to conclude that you're unhappy, hateful and probably suicidal.

1) You're an atheist.

2) You haven't accepted Jesus.

3) You don't believe you have a purpose.

4) You dont' believe you are free to make a choice.

5) I don't live near you anymore.

All these clearly point to the fact that you hate life and have no reason to live.

What's next? Goth clothes, eye make-up and school shootings?

I have never worn eye makeup. And yes, number five makes me sad