Goodbye Jesus

What A Load Of Poppycock

velocitychild

Lots of bullocks here, to a certain degree. So you've gone to the point from "God isnt real" allt he way to "Christians are extremely evil" it seems? No morals? Uhhhhh thats a good one.

Well, I wasn't raised in a "super strict" Christian home, nor was I raised to be a bigot. I was raised to be a good person. My slew of athiest / agnostic / other friends all love my Mom. She's a christian! wow, that has to say something doesnt it?

While I can't speak for every Christian home on the planet, I can sure speak for mine. Because if you're going to say Christians have no morals, you're saying my mom doesnt, and if you're talkign about my mom.. Well, you get the point dont you ;)

Here's the truth. Some Christians lack morals, some dont. It's a mix. Lets not get all black and white about Christians because it is no better than or equal to the Christians that do the same. You're making yourself to be a hypocrite, and well, lets not call the kettle black alright?

Bah, I meant to reply to another post, not make a new one!! :P Sorry

This was in reply to "Christians have no morals"

Sorry all! I'm new :ugh:

There is no "black and white" answer to anyone in humanity. Every person has good qualities and bad qualities. It's how you live your life. If a person is a "Christian" and actually tries to adhere to the teachings, then to me that makes a good person. On the other hand, when you have a Christian that preaches at you, limits what his children can do, and acts holier-than-thou, then goes off and drinks, does drugs, and is a complete bum, then you have a hypocrit on your hands. I think that is what the other posters have been trying to say. Some of my best friends are Christians.

No one's saying anything about your mom. Just because she is a Christian does not make her a bad person. In fact, she is probably a hell of a woman if your friends all like her.

On the other hand, when you have a Christian that preaches at you, limits what his children can do, and acts holier-than-thou, then goes off and drinks, does drugs, and is a complete bum, then you have a hypocrit on your hands. I think that is what the other posters have been trying to say. Some of my best friends are Christians.

I completely agree here. And sadly I know that exists! I guess one of my biggest pet-pteeves with people that dislike Christianity is when they cite generalize that all christians are bad people, etc. That's because I think of some good Christians I know, my momma being one of em!!!

I'm currently struggling with Christianity so bad and so hard that I feel like I want to give it one last chance. My mind is athiest, my heart is not (that makes no sense, lol)

I think you will find after you get to know us a little better VC that most of us don't hate Christians. My family is still christian and they mean the world to me. The same is true of many here. We just hate the belief system that has done us a lot of emotional damage and we perfectly understand that the beliefs do not have to fully engulf the believer to the point they are one. Hope you find what you are looking for.

I don't believe that all Christians are bad. I'm in the same boat with Vigile on this one. The vast majority of my family remains Christian. I don't think they're bad people. I do think that they live in a certain amount of denial. But then I am beginning to suspect that most people do.

I think you will find after you get to know us a little better VC that most of us don't hate Christians. My family is still christian and they mean the world to me. The same is true of many here. We just hate the belief system that has done us a lot of emotional damage and we perfectly understand that the beliefs do not have to fully engulf the believer to the point they are one. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Hi!! :) Well, I like a lot of posts here and I feel the enviroment is positive. I was actually just replying to a specific thread and it ended up being a formal post so I'm sorry about that one.

I hope I find it too. There's a lot that has happened to me lately regarding this religion, and it did engulf me for a time. It's still very difficult to talk about for some reason. I'm now just at the point to where I cannot fathom anything supernatural can exist. I owe it all to my painful experiences at my first church, and then, after trying to reason with the bible. it's all kinda painful...

I do love Christians, not all but ones in my life. I just don't understand how I can believe in something if I can't comprehend it. More importantly, the bible seems to be a load of bullocks if you ask me. So why on earth do I believe this stuff? I just dont know.. Its very hard to break away I guess..

I'm currently struggling with Christianity so bad and so hard that I feel like I want to give it one last chance. My mind is athiest, my heart is not (that makes no sense, lol)

I would say something like "athiest by evidence and agnostic by choice" because I wanted to believe in A god, any god, after I left xianity. I am open the idea of a god, or gods, but until that time that they reveal it/themselves to all humanity at once and in a non-ambigious way, I have no desire to seek one out any longer.

Needless to say, I feel that what you said does make sense.

I have to ask, however, why do you feel you have to give it "one last chance?" If you feel this way why are you here? Do you think we'll be the ones to push you back into the church?

I can tell you that I left, went back (it lasted six months, give or take) and quit for good. I sure won't push you back into the church. If you speak to some of the more "enlightened" xians on this site perhaps you can have a different perspective that allows you more of what you are looking for or maybe even some of those who practice other religions entirely?

Keep an open mind and I think you'll do alright whatever you decide.

mwc

I have to ask, however, why do you feel you have to give it "one last chance?" If you feel this way why are you here? Do you think we'll be the ones to push you back into the church?

I can tell you that I left, went back (it lasted six months, give or take) and quit for good. I sure won't push you back into the church. If you speak to some of the more "enlightened" xians on this site perhaps you can have a different perspective that allows you more of what you are looking for or maybe even some of those who practice other religions entirely?

I guess I feel like I want to give it "one last chance" because I wish it to be true. Only for the sake that I cant deal with being lied to my whole life very well. Maybe for the sake that I'd like my loved ones to be right, in a way. But that doesnt go very well, when I try to reason the Bible. I cant overlook any of its contradictions anymore, and I must put them to the test. That's very hard to do.. As far as my apst experience with a small AoG Church, I can say that they were very discouraging and I felt depressed the most I ever have in my life when going there. I dont like feeling helpless, and thats how they made me feel.

I'm here on this site, because I feel like there are people who relate to this. I'm in-between. I'm considering completely breaking off Christianity, and I'm going to see how others did it. I also want to see if there are those who are still struggling with theology, and are Christian, and have found the secret answers.. I feel like I'm Christian sometimes, and not others. This sounds strange I know, but I dont know how to put it very well. Its a very weird time for me at 27 years of age.

Peace,

Matt

I guess I feel like I want to give it "one last chance" because I wish it to be true. Only for the sake that I cant deal with being lied to my whole life very well. Maybe for the sake that I'd like my loved ones to be right, in a way. But that doesnt go very well, when I try to reason the Bible. I cant overlook any of its contradictions anymore, and I must put them to the test. That's very hard to do.. As far as my apst experience with a small AoG Church, I can say that they were very discouraging and I felt depressed the most I ever have in my life when going there. I dont like feeling helpless, and thats how they made me feel.

A couple of important things for you to consider:

1. You don't have to believe in Christianity to believe that a higher spiritual power may exist.

2. There is great strength in learning that you are following the truth.

3. Your family isn't lying to you, they're telling you what they believe. In fact, they are stuck living a lie as well, they just don't realize it.

I'm here on this site, because I feel like there are people who relate to this. I'm in-between. I'm considering completely breaking off Christianity, and I'm going to see how others did it. I also want to see if there are those who are still struggling with theology, and are Christian, and have found the secret answers.. I feel like I'm Christian sometimes, and not others. This sounds strange I know, but I dont know how to put it very well. Its a very weird time for me at 27 years of age.

The truth is that no one has all the answers. In my mind, it's purely ludicrous and arrogant to think that any one religion has all of the answers written down. If that were true, then there'd be a great deal less strife and unnecessary conflict in the world.

It doesn't sound strange, if flitted in and out of Christianity for a long time as well. What you need to latch onto is what is more important- following the truth, or following a lie because it makes you feel good, or more secure, or stronger, or whatever else it does for you.

First let me Welcome you to Ex-C VC. I'm sorry if you have taken offense to the post of Christians have no real morals. I believe I speak for most when I say we all have Christians in our family. The over all behavior and mindset is the topic of that particular thread and it isn't a direct insult on any one person but more so on the dangers of religion.

I'm curious, What in particular offended you? The topic is really about rebellion and why it's so rampet in that particular religion in not so many words. If kids are raised with a particular 'moral code' what causes them to break away from it?

Most of us have been where you are, looking for answers and trying to 'find god' or 'find the truth' My best advice is to keep looking and keep asking questions, and don't settle for 'take it on faith' answers. I know it helped me a lot looking thru the history of the Christian church, and then into the history of pagan religions, It helped clarify much for me. I wish you luck on your journey VC!!

You sound quite angry sort of I don't know but maybe I could put in my 2 cents. Yes Christians are moral(most of the time). Why is that? Because the preacher told them a message about God and whatnot how , the morals ,hell ect.

However looking into history,past,present and even the Bible. God is NOT MORAL. You may of believed or still believe God is the ultimate example of being moral.

Right? or wrong?

I am going to use this as an example for you.

The Ten Commadments is where we can start. These are suppose to be moral and everything. However God doesn't follow his own rules even. I will go give an example of "thou shall not murder(kill)"We can all agree that is imoral on our own.However God (the all perfect being, the sinless God) orders murders and pretty gruseome. I will give you examples to back this up:

Kill Brats

From there Elisha went up to Bethel. While he was on his way, some small boys came out of the city and jeered at him. "Go up baldhead," they shouted, "go up baldhead!" The prophet turned and saw them, and he cursed them in the name of the Lord. Then two shebears came out of the woods and tore forty two of the children to pieces. (2 Kings 2:23-24 NAB)

God Kills the Curious

And he smote of the men of Beth-shemesh, because they had looked into the ark of Jehovah, he smote of the people seventy men, `and' fifty thousand men; and the people mourned, because Jehovah had smitten the people with a great slaughter. And the men of Beth-shemesh said, Who is able to stand before Jehovah, this holy God? and to whom shall he go up from us? (1Samuel 6:19-20 ASV)

Killed by a Lion

Meanwhile, the LORD instructed one of the group of prophets to say to another man, "Strike me!" But the man refused to strike the prophet. Then the prophet told him, "Because you have not obeyed the voice of the LORD, a lion will kill you as soon as you leave me." And sure enough, when he had gone, a lion attacked and killed him. (1 Kings 20:35-36 NLT)

Killing the Good Samaritan

The ark of God was placed on a new cart and taken away from the house of Abinadab on the hill. Uzzah and Ahio, sons of Abinadab guided the cart, with Ahio walking before it, while David and all the Israelites made merry before the Lord with all their strength, with singing and with citharas, harps, tambourines, sistrums, and cymbals.

When they came to the threshing floor of Nodan, Uzzah reached out his hand to the ark of God to steady it, for the oxen were making it tip. But the Lord was angry with Uzzah; God struck him on that spot, and he died there before God. (2 Samuel 6:3-7 NAB)

Now these are not moral at all. You can get that from reading that. This is just the tip of the ice berg. This is where I see Christians are "immoral" . These are more acts I don't like but some are indeed imoral

-They believe in a book calls it the perfect book yet it is so gruesome and evil.

- They think all other religions will go to hell

- They want 10% of your income. I do not support that because it goes to pastors fancy house.

- Not tolerant at all towards any religion other than theres.

- Religion can destroy familys if one has other opinions

- Base who they will marry based on religion

Now to more serious

- Try to force beliefs on everyone

Example: Lady tries to ban Harry Potter in county, I think in Georgia because Harry Potter is against her religion. So she is trying to control everyone else's kid and ban it FROM THE COUNTY ITSELF.

- Stem Cell Research

Cures, Curses, Curses with Christians it is withholding progress in science and medicine

- War in Iraq

Christians ( I know) send to support Iraq but not stem cell research

- Africa and Christianizing it

Back in 1890's missionaries from England went to Africa ( still do today) and want to civilize the people by Christianizing people. Because obviousally they are going to hell if they arn't Christians.

-People in US, a mathematician who was a lady because she was smart. Christians thouhgt of her a witch. What do good loving Christians do? They got oyster shells and scraped her skin off her body and killed her.Love Love Love

-Fred Phelps

Protesting at funerals (soilders). They said they where in my town but no one saw them at one of the funerals.

- The Bible and Jews

Anti Semitisim started because of Christians in reality. If Christians didn't make up The New Testament starring Jeezus. The Jews may of not as suffered like they did. Because they were blamed for killing Jesus.

THIS VERSE IS THE ULTIMATE ONE

More Rape and Baby Killing

Anyone who is captured will be run through with a sword. Their little children will be dashed to death right before their eyes. Their homes will be sacked and their wives raped by the attacking hordes. For I will stir up the Medes against Babylon, and no amount of silver or gold will buy them off. The attacking armies will shoot down the young people with arrows. They will have no mercy on helpless babies and will show no compassion for the children. (Isaiah 13:15-18 NLT)

Now back to your family, of course they are moral. Christians most of the time don't do this. It's not acceptable to any society. However it is in the Bible. It still is their and you can't erase that fact.You are only told the good verses during church and hell probably. They never say what God ordered. I guess this rant is more of God is not moral than anything. If God is not moral why follow him when he claims to be? There will be lots of questions in your mind, don't fear it because that is the true light.

People who have genuine empathy for others will tend to be just fine regardless of what they write in the box marked "Religion". Merely professing to be A or B does not make one A or B. You have to walk the walk. I have no quarrel with people who use their beliefs to inspire them to do good in the world.

However, when religion -- Any religion -- leads to complacency, it becomes a life-destroying force. Doubly so when beliefs are used to excuse or condone harmful and/or stupid behaviours. I can't speak for everyone, but those are the religious types to whom I tend to take offense.

So do you think you will wish god into being this time around? Seriously, what do you think will be different? :shrug: My parents still go to church. My brother stopped but is still xian. He was going to be a minister but the theology courses turned him away since he decided religion put god in a box. He now has his own version of the religion (a little deist, some gnostic...a pinch of this, a pinch of that). My sister is more universalist now and I've dropped it altogether.

Once I gave up trying to please an unpleasable god I felt so much better. Some might say that I just want to do what I want to do but I still live like I did before...just without these stupid expectations hanging over me. It's like a great weight has been lifted from me. I also see the world in a better light, despite it's problems, which is nice. Shedding religion was painful but, for me, a positive step.

Okay. I prayed and got no answers. So I just quit (the last time) cold turkey. It had taken me well over a year to work up to that point but when it came I made a clean break. It was strange at first but that didn't last long, then I felt fine. I still relate to xianity, and probably always will, since it was such a part of my life for so long (and it's such a part of our culture), and I think that's why I still get angry. I don't want to deal with it and it's on every corner, on the television and everywhere else so I have to look at it and hear it whether I like it or not. That bothers me especially since I know it's not true. It's like the "workers paradise" propaganda in a sense.

Read through the various testimonies for more stories (I never posted one but there are more than enough to keep you busy). There's no one way of deconverting, that's for sure. There's also no one destination. Some end up atheist while others end up in other religions (and everything in between and elsewhere).

mwc

I also want to see if there are those who are still struggling with theology, and are Christian, and have found the secret answers.. I feel like I'm Christian sometimes, and not others. This sounds strange I know, but I dont know how to put it very well. Its a very weird time for me at 27 years of age.

I kind of like that at one time, when I was contempelating and examining the claims of Christianity.

Well for what they have, sometimes Christians do sometimes make a good point and perhaps that what interest you, but do you know what, if you listen to every religion, some of them are bound to have good points that jive with you, even the Cuckoo ones like Scientology.

I remember one of my freethinker friend telling me he wanted to convert to Christianity after watching the Movie Constantine. Why? because he found a lot of thinking matched what was told in the movie

But it's the part where Christians did not tell me that threw off from Christianity. Christians never told me that God had given slavery rules in the bible, nor did they once mention about the killing of babies and preganent women. That was told me by Skeptics.

Oh well, whatever you decide, I hope you find peace in it.

Check out my testimony here

Lots of bullocks here, to a certain degree. So you've gone to the point from "God isnt real" allt he way to "Christians are extremely evil" it seems? No morals? Uhhhhh thats a good one.

Who said that? Sorry, missed that one.

I can say that christianity doesn't disqualify one from being evil, as with many things, but few here would venture such an utterence that "christians are extremely evil."

Is christianity evil? It has been, in the lives of many.

Who said that? Sorry, missed that one.

I can say that christianity doesn't disqualify one from being evil, as with many things, but few here would venture such an utterence that "christians are extremely evil."

Is christianity evil? It has been, in the lives of many.

Heh, well, this was my knee-jerk reaction to reading "Christians have no morals" - sorry about that really. I have a soft-spot when it comes to any insult to people of that religious faith mainly due to the fact that I have loevd ones that are good people who love "Jesus"

Not that I am foolish enough to sit here and say Jesus is the answer. BUT, I will say that I can agree that some Christians are pretty lacking in the moral department.

Heh, well, this was my knee-jerk reaction to reading "Christians have no morals" - sorry about that really. I have a soft-spot when it comes to any insult to people of that religious faith mainly due to the fact that I have loevd ones that are good people who love "Jesus"

I understood this when I read it. Recently a hard-headed, hard line fundamentalist came in here and accussed all Christians who essentilally didn't understand things as he did as not being True Christians. Of course he was lumping my mother into that dismall of her faith. I respect my mother and this angered me considerably. I don't share here beliefs, but I respect her sincerity and her inoffensive practice of her beliefs. She does not judge or condemn anyone based on their beliefs about God, no matter what religion or lack of it.

BTW, your first post from yesterday has been moved for you to the following location: http://www.ex-christian.net/index.php?show...pid=224470&

I started a thread about Christians not having morals. Some do some don't. For the most part,however, when one is a Christian, the morals are "programmed" into them - from children to adults, they are taught to rely on the Bible for their morals, not to come up with their own code of ethics. That was all ... it wasn't implying that Christians are IMmoral.

I dare say that for most Christians, however, morals would change somewhat if they deconverted.

Christians are just like anyone else. Some are good, some are bad. Same as everyone else. The problem comes when you have a lot of Christians automatically assuming that they are better than everyone else simply because of their label. Arrogance is what makes a fundy a fundy, regardless of what stripes they are wearing.

I think what you are seeing on this site is that a lot of people have been very, very hurt by their former religion. A lot of people have deep scars -- some have physical scars, some have emotional, and some have both. This site is around for the purposes of helping those who have left the religion. Recovery from religion has stages that are similar to grief. Anger is a stage in most people's recovery.