Goodbye Jesus

I H A T E Some Hound Owners..

nivek

Fucking idiots who live next door to me in the rental place packed up Sunday, all five of them took off and haven't been back *yet*.

Little Labrador/Pit mix, "Clare", has been on back of the small Ford trucks tailgate barking all night and day today.

Went over this morning to find that Clare has a litter of pups, and that she is shprt tied, can't get to pups, her tits so swollen with milk she is leaking everywhere.

Pups crying, Momma barking... No fucking one home to help clare get to pups.

Go over to the truck, have Clare half love me to death, half try to protect her pups, cut the line holding her around the trucks trailer hitch, she jumps in without bidding, and goes to taking care of her brood.

Headed over with some kibble and water for her, they forgot to provide for her, maybe thinking they would be back sooner..

I dunno readers, but daFatman isn't that inclined to be charitable to assholes who would leave and not even mention that their hound is being left unattended and unfed...

Still steaming..

kFL

This is a case for calling animal control, or picking up Clare and her babies and heading to the nearest rescue with them.

If your neighbors inquire, tell them you saw her one night and she was gone the next.

I have to agree. The pups need milk and the mom needs food and water at the least.

Mine are currently gracing the sofas, I just hope Bluebird gets better soon. We think we've found the source of her limp, possibly nerve pain from a disc or vertebra.

I volunteer in a no-kill shelter, I see stuff like this all the time. We take animals from shelters that would otherwise be put down. Yes, people are fucking idiots.

Hunting dogs with many years of loyal service, who are retired by being dumped on the side of the road.

Puppy mill dogs who can't produce any longer because their bodies are worn out from having litter after litter, teeth rotted out from poor nutrition, muscle atrophy from being kept in a cage that is way too small and frightened of humans, signed over for euthanization at a high kill shelter.

We had one German Shepard chained with no food or water in the hot Florida sun with no shade, her teeth were broken off from eating rocks to try to get enough nurishment to feed her dead puppies.

Nevik, these dogs and the one you took care of are lucky, at least someone cares enough to do something to help them.

Grrr. People can be such morons. I'm glad you at least did something.

This stuff just brings tears to my eyes. It breaks my heart that someone could be that damn heartless. Sorry, but if you're going to be that calculatedly cold to an innocent animal, I can hardly think you'd treat babies better. Oh yeah. I'd take the dog and her puppies somewhere. Stupid jerks don't deserve her after leaving her tied up like that. Even without puppies you shouldn't tie a dog up like that! And that story about the Shepherd eating rocks...that's so sad. :( Did she do okay? I hope she found a good home.

The puppy mill thing really bothers me too. Just to think of those poor animals being used that way! There's one not too far from me that has sold sick puppies over and over, and the bitch is still in business! It makes me so mad. And being kept in a cage so small that their muscles atrophy! I hadn't heard that one. I have small animals that live in cages, and I make sure there cages are big and I let them out for exercise regularly, even my rats!

Sith,

Yes, she needed a lot of care and had to learn to trust humans. She was scared to death of men and she'd cower in the corner and pee when she saw one. Who knows what had been done to her.

She was at the shelter for a long time because of her issues, we named her "Mama" because she had to tried to be such a good mom to even her dead puppies.

Mama, finally did get a good home with lots of room to run and play with an older woman who came in looking for a German Shepard.

The shelter that I volunteer for is building a new shelter that will house 100 dogs and 100 cats. It will have rooms that look like livingrooms (except smaller) and many daybeds for the animals to sleep and lay on. Most are not going to be kept in cages, unless they are sick, new to the shelter, or we need to work with them. There will also be smaller rooms with comfy beds for the animals who don't do well with other animals. Being kept in kennels and cages for extended periods of time, the animals get stressed out and don't do well physically, so they are trying to get as much as a home environment for the animals as possible. It will also make the transition to an actual home a lot easier for them.

Taph, I have so much respect for you for working with these animals. I don't know if I could do it because I would want to bring home every animal I saw. I agree that the people who did this should have animal control called on them. I wish that the animal cruelty laws were stricter. Right now, the most that happens to someone that abuses or neglects animals is a fine or jail time, even just a year and a half for someone that kills an animal. It's pathetic.

Coupla pics scored right before the boneheaded assholes managed to slither back to the residence.

Cat knew something was up when he saw the extra empty cardboard box that Clare had licked clean of every crumb, and the half of a gallon water jug she had drained...

Seems that he and his troupe of idiots were sneaking out of the house, their land lady had stopped by my place and asked when I had seen them last.

She went to the City Police department and let them in on what was happening and the situation with bitch and pups.

Typical of the cops here, a dog is not a high priority, didn't see them today any where close to helping Clare...

I am one of the volunteers with our local Humane Society. The big however with *now* is that every place is stuffed full of hounds, and not a spot yet to be spared to take this girl in the offical places.

At this time she and pups are out of trouble and Momma is fed.. What tomorrow will bring? I half expect the cretins to drop she and pups off on my front door and scoot..

kFL

clare_01.jpg

Clare02.jpg

I don't know how close Portland is to you, but there is a pitbull rescue there called Pawsitively Pit Bulls. I don't know if they would be willing to take a mix, some breed rescues do, and they would or should know of other rescues that may take her and her pups, or at least find a place for them until a spot opens for them.

Here's the link to the rescue:

http://pawsitivelypitbull.org/

Taph..

Here at haciendaFatman we will take in hounds, work with them as needed, then try to quickly place them before they become acclimated to our place and pack.

Two *failures* at that are the big Rottiebot, Bear, and Roxie, the medium sized G.Shep-X.. We took them in, and never did find the right family or individual we'd want to trust with the young dogs.

Bear is four, headed to five, and Roxweiler is going to be three. Seems they are happy here barging about, barking, and living on the furniture when not caught.

If I had the space and the ability to handle the waste, I'd have a dozen mutts or more.

So far we've had an easy summer with no immediate danger cases to have to take in (breathes in deeply, happy for that), however the front door is always open for Protective Breeds that need a place to go when no one else wants to handle them.

Winter and end of bird seasons is coming, and the flow of *tired, worn out old birding mutts* is gonna start again..

kevinL

Hi guys,

I too work as a volunteer at a non-kill animal facility. A lot of the dogs we bring in from the shelters have been so abused it makes you cry.

We get a lot of hunting dogs that have outlived their usefullness, my dog I believe was to be a hunting dog but didn't cut it. I couldn't walk her down the street without her wanting to turn and run the other way when she encountered a man or male teenager. Just normal household sounds would scare her to death. It has taken quite some time but she is coming around.

Taph, interestingly we too are looking at building a new shelter in the future. We already have been working with an architect to design the kennels so that they will be similar to the kennels that you described. Ours is a long way off right now, working on raising money but it will come.

My issue is with animal control. Once they pick up the dogs about all they do is feed and water. A lot of the times we get in animals so matted and dirty that they cannot walk and we end up cutting off the fur just so they can move and then get them shaved. Sarcoptic Mange is another problem (the contagious type). Heartworm, parasites, injuries, you name it we've had it. We had one dog that actually had a 22 caliber bullet in her back, did surgery and she's fine. I realize the county doesn't have the money to do what needs to be done but I really wish they would do more.

I do have to say though that Animal Control will take the animals if there is any signs of abuse, will investigate and take the owners to court. We have had a few dogs come in that were the center of court cases. Pitiful cases that just break your heart.

Nivek and Taph, keep up the good work. As we say at our shelter, if we can save just one, it does the world a whole lot of good.

I'm starting to get more involved with Greyhound rescue. We've heard and seen horror stories. Beautiful ex-racers with their muzzles wired shut, dumped in the desert-- dogs just left to die without food or water in their cage-- hounds electrocuted-- dogs just plain dumped, left to wander the Pacific Coast Highway in heavy traffic (that last one, named Jake is in a rescue in San Diego)

Unfortunately Bluebird's x-rays revealed the worst today. She has a hidden osteosarcoma in her shoulder. The good news is that we can get whatever treatments we decide for her, if we decide to do chemo we can get the drugs for basically nothing as part of a research study (Dr. Guillermo Cuoto, Ohio State) There is even a charity helping Greyhounds with cancer.

Sith,

Yes, she needed a lot of care and had to learn to trust humans. She was scared to death of men and she'd cower in the corner and pee when she saw one. Who knows what had been done to her.

She was at the shelter for a long time because of her issues, we named her "Mama" because she had to tried to be such a good mom to even her dead puppies.

Mama, finally did get a good home with lots of room to run and play with an older woman who came in looking for a German Shepard.

The shelter that I volunteer for is building a new shelter that will house 100 dogs and 100 cats. It will have rooms that look like livingrooms (except smaller) and many daybeds for the animals to sleep and lay on. Most are not going to be kept in cages, unless they are sick, new to the shelter, or we need to work with them. There will also be smaller rooms with comfy beds for the animals who don't do well with other animals. Being kept in kennels and cages for extended periods of time, the animals get stressed out and don't do well physically, so they are trying to get as much as a home environment for the animals as possible. It will also make the transition to an actual home a lot easier for them.

I'm glad to hear that. She sounds like a sweetie.

The shelter you're describing sounds awesome. I wish we had one around here. I would love to volunteer at a shelter, but the only ones near me are kill shelters, and I just couldn't deal with perfectly healty loving animals being put down just because there's no room for them.