Goodbye Jesus

The Testimonies

Ramen666

This is a in depth look at the testimonies and a debate on reaction to the Christians.

MOD OR ADMIN MOVE TO TESTIMONIES THREAD IF NEEDED

-This is not a testimony thread it is about testimonies-

Ever since I became an athesist. The things I read first on other people about deconverting. Not just this site but others all around the internet. I was deeply sadden and I felt for the people. It is something that got me angry at times, . From reading JUST the testimonies on this board it seems to amaze me some of our stories.

My testimony was about unanswered prayers and finding how evil god really is. Others the church doing something to you. God not being there, proof, logic ,reason. The kind of people that had things in common that they were believers. Because preachers come here also that have deconverted and that really is saying something right there. I seem to be amazed at the people that come here and share their stories.

Back when I became a member in August, something funny happend. Everyone remembers Scott, he was debating my OWN testimony. He was arguing for me to have faith. That really just made more pissed off more. He was actually trying to force God on me. With that being said besides those Christians that come here. Do Christians really even consider that people who have lost their faith? Do they realize events that have led up to them loosing their faith in God? I mean some of these testimonies make me feel sad sometimes.

What do you think people,this is something that I have been thinking since I was a lurker to a member on this site. Christians can be pretty heartless at times. ( I know that) But do they realize people actually leave Christianity that athesism just does not happen. Because when I was a Christian I looked as athesim, is you just don't believe in God but never the why you don't? I rarely heard of people leaving the God either. One message total I remember on the subject. I guess the church had me at that time.

The only argument that is presented to me here and when I was a Christian is faith. However faith can only last so long for a person. Until you keep getting burned by the church or no prayers happening. Faith is also a vary dangerous thing because it can not be useful. It is like having a dream or a bad memoy linger in your life for a long time. You will continue to have faith and hope it will get solved when it won't. For me I became depressed over something like that, as I know from online sources Christians get in depression over the same issue.

No one looks into this, is what I think. Christians are like walking zombies that just follow what they are told and no questions are asked and it is bothersome because do they know of Ex Christians that much. Besides saying God is right all the time , READ SOME OF THE TESTIMONIES. It is vary moving.

I want to hear feedback from this because I want even Christians to answer this one.

In answering your questions I'm trying to remember what it was like when I was a Christian, and would argue with people about their lack of belief. I'm trying to remember why I would argue about it at all, where I was coming from, what the mindset was.

What I remember is that the Christian thinks they have something that's the best thing in the world, and that's Jesus. It's more than just Jesus, though, it's that hell is a very real place, and that they've been saved from that by believing. I remember feeling that freedom from hell was one of the most powerful things about it. That, and the idea that Christians have a very special relationship with the all-mighty, all-powerful Creator of the entire damn universe. Quite a head-trip, that...

At any rate, Christians have what they think is the best thing anyone ever could have. And they want to share it. Indeed, they're commanded to share it. Share it, sell it, go out and tell everyone the Good News, that people do live forever and if you drink the blood of Christ you'll be purified and avoid hellfire and eternal torment... plus whatever other benefits a given individual or denomination thinks go along with the package.

And really - if you'd discovered the best, most wonderful thing in the world, wouldn't you want to share it with people?

And wouldn't you be amazed if people didn't agree with you that it was the best, most wonderfullest thing ever?

I don't think Christians really understand why people "reject" Christianity. I sure didn't at the time. I mean I figured it out eventually, but for awhile there, I had no idea why anybody couldn't see how eternal salvation and God's love and all that just wasn't the way to go. I seriously think it confuses them.

Add to this a layer of utter conviction too, and that complicates things further. Christians are convinced that they're Right (with a capital 'R'). I mean sure, everybody thinks the way they do things is the right way, but Christians know they're Right. They've got the best thing in the world, they know they're Right about it, and they have to tell people about it...

And then I think when people reject what Christians have to say, they just can't grasp the idea that it's even possible not to believe the same things they do. So they come up with all kinds of excuses and reasons why people don't believe them, as a way of protecting their meme. They'll say atheists are foolish, nonbelievers just have to have faith; they'll criticize and berate and belittle; they'll argue with personal experience; they'll lie, use scripture, use the delusions of Satan as an excuse... anything, so long as it means they don't have to face reality square in the eye.

Some Christians are sort of nice and just simply puzzled about it. Some get outright offended that nonbelievers even exist; I think those are the ones that act like utter asshats and get really nasty and abusive.

But in the end, Christians are selling something. And they're like any salespeople: they're better at it if they believe in the product. Actually finding anything out about their intended audience might threaten that.

I'll admit that it kind of amazes me too though, that Christians don't do their market research. The bulk of Christians who come here, I don't think they even bother with the Testimonies section at all. It's like we're not real humans to them or something, just potential converts - another notch on the conversion belt, another sale, another percentage point towards their monthly sales quota... the stark, emotional realities of our lives aren't relevant, in the relentless drive to make more Christlets.

You know, I would say that Christians tend to have this mental block that prevents them from seeing Christianity from an outsider's point of view. They don't allow themselves to do that. Why? Because it is tantamount to doubting the faith for them, and from a Christian point-of-view, doubting the faith is a Very Bad Thing™. And by extension, that means they cannot or will not consider anyone's antitestimony as being valid.

It's like some nasty piece of malware or rootkit that takes measures to prevent anyone or anything from uninstalling it.

Just today I had an email from a friend who is still trying to persuade me to 'come back to God'. Actually, I am looking at other concepts of God but that's another story. This guy has read my testimony and I made it clear in my testimony that I have completely renounced the Christian faith. The events leading to my deconversion were such that to carry on being a Christian was totally impossible.

Christians are so indoctrinated with the belief that Jesus is the truth and that nothing can separate you from him, that when someone like myself has personal 'circumstances' that point to the fact that Christianity is a lie, they just won't get it at all. I think they get slightly scared when somebody leaves the faith because it is totally contrary to their theology, and they try to force their beliefs back on you. But it doesn't work. I have politely told my friend that I am never coming back to Christianity, and I don't care if he believes I am going to hell.

So no, I don't think Christians have a proper grasp of what happens when people deconvert from their religion.

Hope that makes sense.

During the years when I was no longer a practicing Christian but not yet really deconverted, I fancied myself a kind of defender of Christians against the anger of my secular friends. I understood the idea that the Christians KNEW they were right and were doing what they do because of sincere desire and mandated command to show people the TRUTH. So I thought people should cut 'em some slack, since they are just practicing what they believe.

But since deconverting its things like this that really ticks me off: http://net-burst.net/hot/witness.htm

This is an explanatory recipe for why people reject god. This is the same kind of brick wall that kept me from thinking critically and kept me from questioning for too many years. Its this simplistic thinking that prevents any reasonable or valuable discussion. I wouldn't mind talking to my friends or family about why I've come down this road--because I find it interesting and liberating. But knowing that I'll pretty quickly be categorized into 1. deceived by satan 2. running from god or 3. blaming others--makes it useless to try.

I wasn't able to comprehend someone truly leaving Christianity while I was active and zealous. In the narrow dogma--it just wasn't possible. I think that's why you see alot of Christian response to the testimonies is "you weren't really saved". It all depends on where your head is at. If you're here to witness--then you'll believe we're decieved etc. If you come here because of curiousity and with an open-mind--you'll find a ton of treasure.

It wouldn't do any good for a xian to read every single testimony on this site. (unless they were questioning the faith themselves)

All of us fall into one of two categories for the fundies:

1. We are terribly backslidden. In God's time, he will bring us back. Go ahead and spend your time wallowing amongst the swine. You'll wake up eventually and return to your heavenly father.

or

2. WE WERE NEVER TRUE CHRISTIANS TO BEGIN WITH!!!

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

sorry. It's just so gawdammed predictable, it cracks me up every time...

What I felt about non-Christians was that they just didn't understand, and it was my duty to try to help them understand. I figured that once they got a glimpse of the truth it would pull them over. I never really liked the process of evangelization because I'm not any kind of a salesman. But since Jesus said you gotta do it, I did it even to the point of street preaching on the college bar street. I can't imagine what I hoped to achieve. If I'd of managed to convert some drunk would he remember it in the morning?

Once I got a conversation/debate started with someone I tried, like Francis Sheaffer said, to force them to the absurd ends of their world views which I was assured were there. It took awhile to understand that I ought to apply the same tactic on myself, just in the interest of getting the log out of my own eye first mind you.

Not one of my Christian friends has asked me why I left the church after 12 months. I still see them often but it's like I was never part of their church. I guess they don't want to know or even care why people leave.

This is a in depth look at the testimonies and a debate on reaction to the Christians.

MOD OR ADMIN MOVE TO TESTIMONIES THREAD IF NEEDED

-This is not a testimony thread it is about testimonies-

Ever since I became an

Post made me reflect when I was a churchgoer. The same people dressed the same way in the EXACT same pews for a lifetime. The mindless look of, I'd better be here than in hell (fuckin catholic teaching if you miss mass a mortal sin means eternal hell).

Finally had the courage to say fuck it all and I am growing in my atheism and losing the guilt over getting out of mind control.Never had a prayer answered,,,,,,,stopped praying for over a year and guess what? I feel much better about myself and my godless life! There are many of us.

In answering your questions I'm trying to remember what it was like when I was a Christian [...]

True from the first to the last line, all of it. Damn good posting! :3:

Yeah not one person from my former church even cares that we are gone, probably thought we were democrat or something :scratch: . The last time I went to church (6 months ago) hardly anyone was there. I asked what happend. He told me because the pastor insulted democrats all the time. I said " I knew it"