Goodbye Jesus

When Christians Were Jews (that Is, Now)

Warrior_of_god

The religious studies professor at my school just had his book published. I was wondering what people would think about this:

When Christians Were Jews (That Is, Now): Recovering the Lost Jewishness of Christianity with the Gospel of Mark

From the Publisher :

When Christians Were Jews tells the story of identity rediscovered. Narrating recent biblical scholarship as a story of family strife, Berard recounts how early Christians dissociated from their Jewish origins and reflects on the spiritual loss suffered by Christianity because of this division. He calls Christians to explore with open mind and heart . . . the Jewishness not only of Jesus but of themselves.

The religious studies professor at my school just had his book published. I was wondering what people would think about this:
When Christians Were Jews (That Is, Now): Recovering the Lost Jewishness of Christianity with the Gospel of Mark.....
Why not just dump the whole thing? Why should I even care what "Mark" (if that's his real name) had to say about anything? Why not study something more modern, more relevant to todays issues?

Recovering the Lost Jewishness of Christianity with the Gospel of Mark

What Jewish roots? You are either Christian or you are Jewish? You can't be both.

Recognizing the "Gospels" as un-Jewish

Differences between Judaism and Christianity

PS: Ah dammit Dave, you have the same picture as me :-(

Why not study something more modern, more relevant to todays issues?

Well, as a mindset of millions today it IS relevant in that snese, however as a Christian im sure he would argue that religion/relationship w/Jesus is relevant reqardless.

At first I thought the same person posted twice.

Recovering the Lost Jewishness of Christianity with the Gospel of Mark
What Jewish roots? You are either Christian or you are Jewish? You can't be both.
Couldn't the modern christians be called; mesianic jews?
It was the only one that looked like me. 30 years ago I looked like this: :david:

:grin:

Well, as a mindset of millions today it IS relevant in that snese, however as a Christian im sure he would argue that religion/relationship w/Jesus is relevant reqardless.
That's the problem; they believe it is relevent and try to distort today to fit the past. It's not working.

That's the problem; they believe it is relevent and try to distort today to fit the past. It's not working.

Indeed. However if religion were up to the individual I believe things would perhaps be better.

From where I sit this looks like pointless busywork. Some academics feel the need to publish something, even if there's no practical purpose to it other than a note on a resume.

It struck me as rather obvious.

At first I thought the same person posted twice.

Unless they have a mother who is a Jew or have converted to Judaism, then no. Apostate Jews like Paul would still be a Jew, but nevertheless would not be called Jewish.

Christianity and Judaism are two different religion. There may have been a Early Christian movement that was based on the idea of Jewish messiah, eg the Ebionites

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebionites

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/05242c.htm

http://www.sullivan-county.com/news/paul/ebionites.htm

But ceased to be considered Jewish when they placed Jesus at the same level of God, and disregarded Orthodox Jewish practices.

The following article should clear with confusion that most Skeptics have about "Jews" and "Jewish"(well.....I did)

http://www.kosherjudaism.com/missionaryhistory.html

And while Baptists may use these terms interchangeably, Jews do not. The Jewish community is actively being more discerning in its use of descriptive terms.

As I already said, anyone who uses Christian teachings in his or her life is a Christ devotee, which translates into “Christian.” The word “Christian” reflects the viewpoint from a perspective of a Christ follower, and in this way, both the word “Jewish” and “Christian” can be considered as an adjective when used to reflect the outward expression of the noun. As far as a noun goes, a Jew is a noun while Jewish is an adjective. A Christian is a noun, and can still be used as an adjective.

For example, lets use the term, “meat-eating vegetarian.” In this case, the word “meat-eater” is an adjective, while “vegetarian” is a noun. An oxymoron is a figure of speech employing the juxtaposition of two normally contradictory words, such as “Jewish Christian”. Either the term Christian or Jewish can be used, but to combine the two creates a structure that has no acceptable category, either as a Christian or as Jewish. As we will see later on, there is almost nothing Jewish about Christianity, and there is almost nothing Christian about Judaism. The circles barely intercept.

Incompatible terms create an oxymoron.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostasy

Within these movements it is often recognized that it is possible for a Jew to strictly practise Judaism as a faith, while at the same time being an agnostic or atheist, giving rise to the riddle: "Q: What do you call a Jew who doesn't believe in God? A: A Jew." It is also worth noting that Reconstructionism does not require any belief in a deity, and that certain popular Reform prayer books such as Gates of Prayer offer some services without mention of God.

Also from Jewish Counter Missionary Forum

http://jewsforjudaism.org/phpBB2/viewtopic...mp;&start=0