Goodbye Jesus

The Virtuous Atheist

Markkasan

I went to church today with my family (more of a habit than anything else) and something happened that really pissed me off.

The youth group leader was talking about some missions trip to New Orleans that was in April. A group of people went down to the region to rebuild houses. That part was cool. However, in the jungle of self-righteous self-congratulation, I heard the following statement:

"...and of course there were no nonbelievers down there. Not one showed up to help. Atheists don't do that sort of thing."

Now, I'm sitting in the pew, and my blood is simmering. You have no idea how angry I was at that moment. I was ready to storm out of the room right there and then, but I held my cool. How dared she say that atheists are immoral people? Apparently in her little Christ-world all the nonbelievers are just mopey douches sitting around contemplating how miserable they are. It never occured to her that people might perhaps do good for the sake of doing good, and not for fear of hell or some invisible man in the sky. Apparently with no incentive to do so, people are so fucked up they can't feel compassion for their fellow man. It takes the threat of everlasting punishment to motivate humans. And Christians say their religion is based on love. Bull fucking shit. It's fear, mass propaganda that drives it.

What really incensed me the most was that it insulted me personally as a nonbeliever. I spend a long week in July in rural Pennslyvania fixing the homes of people who were really down on their luck. I sweated in the sun less than a week after my wisdom teeth were pulled helping these people for no pay and this bitch has the nerve to stand up and say that I am a selfish jerk. I didn't do it for God. I did it for the family who lived there, whose house had burned down on Christmas Eve. I didn't even like the people who were working with me, so the only thing that kept me going was the family I was working for. I was personally insulted by this bitch's self-righteous polemic. Fuck her.

[/rant]

Exactly.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Christians are in it for the insurance policy. They could give a flying flip about GAWD. They just want to make sure their asses don't fry for all eternity.

And just how the bloody shit did she know there were "no unbelievers there"? Did she poll everybody? Did she even consider that atheists are a small minority, and smaller still in the babble belt, so the probability of there being few atheists there would be high? No, of course not...and how dare she assume that atheists never do anything to help people in need? We do it all the time, it's just that we don't advertise it for atheist promotion purposes, and we don't seek any recognition of our virtues by some imaginary god. We help people because it's good, just like you did for that family...but that doesn't count among the bible bangers, they just won't give up the unfounded notion that we stopped believing in the great ol' big god thing because we wanted to wallow in sin and immorality. Sheesh!

Now you got ME ranting...

"Religion, like poetry, is simply a concerted effort to deny the most obvious realities." (H.L. Mencken)

I can think of at least one atheist that went to help out after Katrina hit. He's a veterinarian and he went down there to help take care of stranded and rescued animals.

That bitch pastor is full of shit. But you knew that already.

sorry you had to hear some tripe from that xtian speck. i don't believe that any non-believer were in my city of origin doing their best to help out after the storm, i just know they didn't do it to get some recognition like her and her group did.

Two local construction geek buddies went down to the Gulf and started rescue and rebuild. Both of the men are non-believers, Paramedic rated, professonally swing hammers for a living.

One is going to relocate there, he loves area, other hasn't come home yet, finding work to do in smaller communities stil needing engineering and professional grade hammering.

Neither so far other than a few calls back here and a bunch of e.mails has said shit about their experiences, much less "crowed for Darwin" like the sectarians "Yell for Jebuzz!!!!".

Just go to work, make things better every day, and be competent doing what they can do.

Nail doesn't care whose hammer is pounding it into where it needs to go...

kFL

"...and of course there were no nonbelievers down there. Not one showed up to help. Atheists don't do that sort of thing."

*gag* :ugh:

If you are talking about the post katrina rescue and cleanup, the first workers on scene were a group of canadians, including about 300 young canadian comunists, who were all atheists.

300 atheist comunists from canada gave up a large part of their college and university term to rescue thousands of anti comunist, fundamentalists, most of home couldnt find canada on a map if they tried,