Goodbye Jesus

God Loves He Some Slave Action...

Guest lamont

I think its crazy to be a christian, but what is crazier to me is to be a Black christian in America. How is it that descendants of slaves eat this stuff up? The bible is so offensive to me. Check the following:

If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished, but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property. Exodus 21:20-21

Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. You can will them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly. Leviticus 25:44-46

When you march up to attack a city, make its people an offer of peace. If they accept and open their gates, all the people in it shall be subject to forced labor and shall work for you. If they refuse to make peace and they engage you in battle, lay siege to that city. When the LORD your God delivers it into your hand, put to the sword all the men in it. As for the women, the children, the livestock and everything else in the city, you may take these as plunder for yourselves. And you may use the plunder the LORD your God gives you from your enemies. Deuteronomy 20:10-14

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ. Ephesians 6:5

Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every authority instituted among men: whether to the king, as the supreme authority. 1 Peter 2:13

Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are HARSH. 1 Peter 2:18

Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to win their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord. Colossians 3:22

All who are under the yoke of slavery should consider their masters worthy of full respect, so that God's name and our teaching may not be slandered. 1 Timothy 6:1

If anyone teaches false doctrines and does not agree to the sound instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ and to godly teaching, he is conceited and understands nothing. He has an unhealthy interest in controversies and quarrels about words that result in envy, strife, malicious talk, evil suspicions. 1 Timothy 6:3-4

I think the Black relationship and Christianity is akin to Stockholm Syndrome. The very thing that was used to keep us marginalized for hundreds of years is the samething we cling to, steadfast. AND most Black people are slaves to the cult...The irony that you go from manual labor to that book does not elude me.

Coincidentally, my deconversion began when I started reading those passages listed in your post.

Many evangelical Christians would say that the verses from the Old Testament were part of the Law, and were done away with when Jesus came and replaced law with grace (this was touched upon some in the "Office Debate" thread). The New Testament verses were often taught as being a word for the culture at the time; evangelicals often point out that the scriptures teach that if a slave could obtain his freedom, he should do it (as if that covered over all the pro-slavery sections). Many modern day Christians use these slave/master verses as guides to worker/employer relations. Of course looking at it from that perspective, I guess a worker should shut up and do whatever he is ordered, and never quit, or organize a union (rebellion), etc.

Many modern day Christians use these slave/master verses as guides to worker/employer relations.

Yah know, this explains a lot about my job life at the moment.

Although it is used to justify the holocaust, it also draws parallels to the plight of slaves, so the few that could read would read that and expect that one day, god would free them like he did the isrealites.

I wonder though, if the Emancipation Proclamation never happened, would we still be slingin' cotton, and thinking our day would come?