Goodbye Jesus

Movie "a Beautiful Mind"

mick

You know at the end, when he finally confronts his delusional imaginary people that don't exist? He addresses the one who was his best friend, his roomate from college, and professional colleague ALL those decades, but he was imaginary. He says to him "You have been a good friend, you have always been here for me for a lnog time, and I will miss you, BUT I WILL not speak to you any more." It is an incredibly powerful moment in the movie. It kind of made me think about decoversion. When I'm really sad, or scared, or upset, my first instictuatl reaction is to start talking to "Jesus" even still. The difference is, my mind quickly seems to stop me, and it all feels so nuts after a minute. It's funny how that movie seems like a paralell. If Jesus really is NOT real, then it CAN'T be a good thing to TALK to him all the time? It's like stopping use of a drug or something.

Yes. John Nash is one of the primary examples that I use when talking about deconversion and the whole "imaginary friend" bullcrap that Christians pay their uncertain loyalties to. I know back two years ago when I was a Christian, there was this one former Christian who kept saying that we were all crazy and delusional like John Nash. Oh, how I can understand him and what he was saying now.

I agree. It is really hard getting out of the mode of "talking to Jesus." I still have that gut reaction whenever something is going wrong...

That was a great movie, and speaking to Jesus is the equivalent of talking to an imaginery friend...

But the kicker is, will humanity EVER stop needing to talk to this invisible entity?

I agree. It is really hard getting out of the mode of "talking to Jesus." I still have that gut reaction whenever something is going wrong...

That was a great movie, and speaking to Jesus is the equivalent of talking to an imaginery friend...

But the kicker is, will humanity EVER stop needing to talk to this invisible entity?

Oh, I'm sure they'll stop talking to Jesus eventually. They'll probably replace him with someone or something else, though.

Hm...I never thought about that. Makes sense tho.

Wish I had thought of that, probably would have prevented me from falling asleep during the film (Obviously I didn't like the movie too much).

I don't talk to Jesus any more.

Now I just talk to myself.

It feels just about the same, except when I ask myself for stuff sometimes I get it.

:woohoo:

I don't talk to Jesus any more.

Now I just talk to myself.

It feels just about the same, except when I ask myself for stuff sometimes I get it.

:woohoo:

I talk to myself too, but when I get in a heated argument with myself, and feel like punching myself in the mouth...that can be a little disturbing.