Goodbye Jesus

7 Deadly Sins

Ramen666

Everyone probably has heard about the "7 deadly sins" Well let's talk first here the 7 deadly sins:

Lust (Latin, luxuria)

Main articles: Lust (fornication, perversion)

Lust is best described as depraved thought, unwholesome morality, desire for excitement, or need to be accepted or recognized by others. It also includes obsessive, unlawful, or unnatural sexual desire, such as desiring to engage in unnatural sexual appetites (like bestiality). Rape, adultery and sodomy are considered to be extreme forms of lust. Dante's criterion was "excessive love of others," thereby detracting from the love due to God. However, lust and love are two different things; while love involves mutual appreciation, trust, deep friendship, and willingness to sacrifice, lust is little more than extreme sexual arousal In Purgatorio, the penitent walks within flames to purge himself of lustful thoughts.

Gluttony (Latin, gula)

Main articles: Gluttony (waste, overindulgence)

Modern views identify Gluttony as being associated with an overindulgence of food and drink, though in the past any form of thoughtless excess could fall within the definition of this sin. Marked by a refusal to share resources and unreasonable or unnecessary consumption, Gluttony could also include certain forms of destructive behaviour, especially for sport, for example substance abuse or binge drinking. The penitent in the Purgatorio were forced to stand beneath two trees, unable to make use of the food hanging there and giving them a starved appearance.

Greed/Avarice (Latin, cupiditia'avaritia)

Main articles: Greed (treachery, covetousness)

Greed is, like Lust and Gluttony, a sin of excess. However, Greed particularly applies to the acquisition of wealth. Thomas Aquinas wrote that Greed was "a sin against God, just as all mortal sins, in as much as man condemns things eternal for the sake of temporal things." Dante wrote something similar, as the penitent in Purgatory were forced to kneel on hard stone and recite the examples of avarice and its opposing virtue. Avarice is a blanket term that can describe many other forms of sinful behaviour. These include disloyalty, deliberate betrayal, or treason, especially for personal gain, such as a bribe. Scavenging and hoarding of materials or objects, theft and robbery, especially by violence, trickery, or manipulation of authority are all actions that are inspired by greed. Such misdeeds include Simony, where the sinner feels the urge to make money by selling things within the confines of the church. This sin is abhorred by the Catholic Church and is seen as a sin of malice and betrayal, and Dante included this sin in the first poem of the Divine Comedy (the Inferno).

Sloth/Laziness(Latin, pigritia'acedia)

Main articles: Sloth (laziness, sadness, apathy)

More than other sins, the definition of Sloth has changed considerably since its original inclusion in the list. Originally, its place was fulfilled by two others, Acedia and Sadness. The former described a spiritual apathy that affected the faithful by discouraging them from their religious work. Sadness (Tristitia in Latin) described a feeling of dissatisfaction or discontent, which caused unhappiness with their current situation. When Aquinas selected Acedia for his list, he described it as an "uneasiness of the mind", being a progenitor for lesser sins such as restlessness and instability. Dante built on this definition, describing Sloth as being the "failure to love God with all one's heart, all one's mind and all one's soul". He also describes it as the middle sin, and as such is the only sin characterised by an absence or insufficiency of love. Modern interpretations differ from either of these, and portray Sloth as being simply a sin of laziness, of an unwillingness to act, and of an unwillingness to care. For this reason Sloth is now often seen as being considerably less serious than the other sins.

Wrath (Latin, ira)

Main articles: Wrath (anger, hatred, prejudice, discrimination)

Inappropriate feelings of hatred and anger. Denial of the truth, both to others and in the form of self-denial. Impatience with the law, or seeking revenge outside of justice, such as with unnecessary vigilantism. Wishing to do evil or harm to others. A modern definition would also include anger towards others for no good reason, such as their race or religion, leading to discrimination. 'Minor' sins born of Wrath are some of the most serious, including murder,assault, discrimination, and genocide. (See Crimes against humanity.) Dante described Wrath as "love of justice perverted to revenge and spite".

Envy (Latin, invidia)

Main articles: Envy (jealousy, malice)

Like Greed, Envy is characterised by an insatiable desire, however the two sins differ for two main reasons. Firstly, Greed is normally associated with material wealth, whereas Envy can apply to other concepts, like love or success. Secondly, those who commit the sin of Envy desire something that someone else has. Dante defined this as "love of one's own good perverted to a desire to deprive other men of theirs." In Dante's Purgatory, the envious have their eyes sewn shut with wire, because they have gained sinful pleasure from seeing others brought low ('schadenfreude').

Pride (Latin, superbia)

Vanitas with her mirror. Painting by Titian, c. 1515Main articles: Pride (vanity, narcissism)

In almost every list Pride is considered the original or most serious sin. It is identified as a desire to be more important or attractive to others, failing to give credit due to others, or excessive love of self (especially holding self out of proper position toward God). Dante's definition was "love of self perverted to hatred and contempt for one's neighbour". In Jacob Bidermann's medieval miracle play, Cenodoxus, Pride is the deadliest of all the sins and leads directly to the damnation of the famed Doctor of Paris, Cenodoxus. Pride was what sparked the fall of Lucifer from Heaven, and his subsequent transformation into Satan. Vanity and Narcissism are good examples of these sins, though both imply a more empty feeling of Pride, with little to back it up. In the Divine Comedy, the penitent were forced to walk with their heads bowed while they were whipped in order to induce feelings of humility.

I can tell how each and everyone one of these are wrong. These just prove how bull shit Christianity is. This is all human nature! I want to hear what do you think about this message once heard. I remember when I thought Pride was wrong. Pride ........OMFG. You need to have pride in yourself at some times. Man remembering these just makes me feel so stupid for following Christianity....

One thing I find "interesting" is how easily the bible god falls into a few of these sins himself; especally wrath and envy. While I only paged through the Dante books, I found it unfair that St. Dominic who helped start the Spanish Inquisition that not only tortured many innocents but took their stuff for their own greed was in Paradisio yet a happy couple who "fell into lust" after reading some book are suffering in Hell.

I believe that gluttony has been unofficially crossed off as a deadly sin. Ironically, the majority of obese people in America reside in bible belt states. So I think Babble Gawd has, perhaps, changed his mind about people gorging themselves to death...

Anyone who tries to follow all of those is setting themselves up to be miserable. The onething that made me happy about leaving christianity is that I can finally enjoy being a HUMAN BEING.

My life was miserable in Christ Insanity, and I'm finally glued back together, mentally, spiritually, and emotionally...

I would like to send a Terminator back through time to eliminate the guys who wrote the bible.

God fails in the category of these sins:

Wrath- Death or torment who disagree with God.

Greed- It is greed to want so much from else while he does nothing,it is greed to be worisphed and be treated like a God.

Pride- I remember at church pride is the worst sin off all, however God has pride. He thinks he is better than everyone else.

Sloth/Laziness- He is God all powerful could make a watch and sing you the time. yet he watches people suffer and die horrible deaths, kill themselves, watch kids get raped and does nothing. God is indeed a lazy bastard.

Lust- God doesn't lust woman or men (or does he) He lusts power and control. He lusts being able to be the ultimate power.

Envy- (from the wikipedia definition the last thing said)

because they have gained sinful pleasure from seeing others brought low ('schadenfreude')

God wants us lower than him am I correct? God could care less if we suffer in hell. He wants us brought low. He also is vary racist and sexist in the Bible many many times. So I guess God falls under this sin also. Wow God is sure loving.

All these are DAMN HUMAN NATURE. I can't believe Christianity at times, but this is one message I remember because even as a Christian at the time I heard it. I thought what a load of bull shit.

I hope Christianity falls and falls hard man I guess I am still in the anger stage but what a load of shit this is.

The Satanic Bible had most of the same comments as you. here they are

The seven deadly sins of the Christian Church are: greed, pride, envy, anger, gluttony, lust, and sloth. Satanism advocates indulging in each of these "sins" as they all lead to physical, mental, or emotional gratification.

A Satanist knows there is nothing wrong with being greedy, as it only means that he wants more tha he already has. Envy means to look with favor upon the possessions of others, and to be desirous of obtaining similar things for oneself. Envy and greed are the motivating forces of ambition- and without ambition, very little of any importance would be accomplished.

Gluttony is simply eating more than you need to keep yourself alive. When you have overeaten to the point of obesity, another sin-pride-will motivated you to regain an appearance that will renew your self-respect.

Anyone who buys an article of clothing for a purpose other than covering his body and prtecting it from the elements is guilty of pride. Satanists often encounter scoffers who maintain that labels are not necessary. It must be pointed out to these destroyers of labesl that one or many articles they themselves are wearing are not necessary to keep them warm. There is not a person on this earth who is completely devoid of ornamentation. The Satanist points out that any ornamentatoin of the scoffer's body shows that he, too, is guilty of pride. Regardless of how verbose the cynic may be int his intellectual description of how free he is, he is still wearing the elements of pride.

Being reluctant to get up in the morning is to be guilty of sloth, and if you lie in bed long enough you may find yourself commiting another sin- lust. To have the faintest stirring of sexual desire is to be guilty of lust. In order to insure the propagation of humanity, nature made lust the second most powerful instinct, the first being self-preservation. Realizing this, the Christian Church made fornicatoins the "Original Sin." In this way they made sure no one would escape sin. Your very start of being is as a result of sin- the Original sin!

The strongest instinct in every living things is self-preservation, which brings us to the last of the seven deadly sins- anger. Is it not our instinct for self-preservation that is aroused when someone harms us, when we become angry enough to protect ourselves from further attack? A Satanist practices the motto, "If a man smite thee on one cheek, smash him on the other!" Let no wrong go unredressed. Be as a loin in the path- be dangerous even in defeat!

Since man's natural instincts lead him to sin, all men are sinners; and all sinners go to hell. If everyone goes to hell, then you will meet all your friends there. Heaven must be populated with some rather starnge creatures if all they lived for was to go to a place where they can strum harps for eternity.

Well, since I've committed all of these "deadly sins" at one time or another, as many average people have, it looks like I've had it in the boxers... :shrug:

And of course the good old Christians will claim that God's wrath is a "righteous" wrath and he's doing it to punish evil, because whatever we think is evil and whatever God thinks is good, even if it seems evil to us evil people...blah blah blah. It's always the "blame it on the human nature, it's immoral!" bs.

Christians will state anything to defend their "God" who can't even fix problems and instead promotes selfishness and every kind of hypocrisy. Talk about deception.

[quote name='Ramen666' date= the love due

Just one more religious attempt to keep you in line, keep you stupid ,keep you humiliated, keep your eyes down and god will bless you. What utter bs.

My deadliest "sin" was believing this garbage and repressing my life.

I always liked this scene from Marlowe's Faust:

LUCIFER. ... Faustus, we are

come from hell to shew thee some pastime: sit down, and thou

shalt see all the Seven Deadly Sins appear in their proper shapes.

FAUSTUS. That sight will be as pleasing unto me,

As Paradise was to Adam, the first day

Of his creation.

LUCIFER. Talk not of Paradise nor creation; but mark this show:

talk of the devil, and nothing else.--Come away!

Enter the SEVEN DEADLY SINS.

Now, Faustus, examine them of their several names and dispositions.

FAUSTUS. What art thou, the first?

PRIDE. I am Pride. I disdain to have any parents. I am like to

Ovid's flea; I can creep into every corner of a wench; sometimes,

like a perriwig, I sit upon her brow; or, like a fan of feathers,

I kiss her lips; indeed, I do--what do I not? But, fie, what a

scent is here! I'll not speak another word, except the ground

were perfumed, and covered with cloth of arras.

FAUSTUS. What art thou, the second?

COVETOUSNESS. I am Covetousness, begotten of an old churl, in an

old leathern bag: and, might I have my wish, I would desire that

this house and all the people in it were turned to gold, that I

might lock you up in my good chest: O, my sweet gold!

FAUSTUS. What art thou, the third?

WRATH. I am Wrath. I had neither father nor mother: I leapt out

of a lion's mouth when I was scarce half-an-hour old; and ever

since I have run up and down the world with this case

of rapiers, wounding myself when I had nobody to fight withal.

I was born in hell; and look to it, for some of you shall be

my father.

FAUSTUS. What art thou, the fourth?

ENVY. I am Envy, begotten of a chimney-sweeper and an oyster-wife.

I cannot read, and therefore wish all books were burnt. I am lean

with seeing others eat. O, that there would come a famine through

all the world, that all might die, and I live alone! then thou

shouldst see how fat I would be. But must thou sit, and I stand?

come down, with a vengeance!

FAUSTUS. Away, envious rascal!--What art thou, the fifth?

GLUTTONY. Who I, sir? I am Gluttony. My parents are all dead,

and the devil a penny they have left me, but a bare pension, and

that is thirty meals a-day and ten bevers,--a small trifle

to suffice nature. O, I come of a royal parentage! my grandfather

was a Gammon of Bacon, my grandmother a Hogshead of Claret-wine;

my godfathers were these, Peter Pickle-herring and Martin

Martlemas-beef; O, but my godmother, she was a jolly gentlewoman,

and well-beloved in every good town and city; her name was Mistress

Margery March-beer. Now, Faustus, thou hast heard all my progeny;

wilt thou bid me to supper?

FAUSTUS. No, I'll see thee hanged: thou wilt eat up all my victuals.

GLUTTONY. Then the devil choke thee!

FAUSTUS. Choke thyself, glutton!--What art thou, the sixth?

SLOTH. I am Sloth. I was begotten on a sunny bank, where I have

lain ever since; and you have done me great injury to bring me

from thence: let me be carried thither again by Gluttony and

Lechery. I'll not speak another word for a king's ransom.

FAUSTUS. What are you, Mistress Minx, the seventh and last?

LECHERY. Who I, sir? I am one that loves an inch of raw mutton

better than an ell of fried stock-fish; and the first letter

of my name begins with L.

FAUSTUS. Away, to hell, to hell!

[Exeunt the SINS.]

Anyone who tries to follow all of those is setting themselves up to be miserable. The onething that made me happy about leaving christianity is that I can finally enjoy being a HUMAN BEING.

My life was miserable in Christ Insanity, and I'm finally glued back together, mentally, spiritually, and emotionally...

Agreed, and I congratulate you on this. However I think it true to say that if one were to become besotted by any one or another of these vices, this would also lead to misery. For myself, I believe it is a case of realising that these things are all a part of human nature, but when over-indulged, they cause problems. It is then, I think, a case of trying to find the middle way.

Casey

I totally agree. You can be a slave to anything. You don't need religious dogma to tell you otherwise.

I know that if I eat too much I'll become obese...

I know if I'm a compulsive gambler I'll go broke...

I think common sense and rationality should be your guide, and not the standards of a book written thousands of years ago.

Life is about healthy indulgence...Don't over indulge and don't deprive(what christianity teaches).