Goodbye Jesus

More Or Less Moral... More Or Less Alive?

Mongo

I am an Atheist. I believe this is the one life I have to live and I don't want to waste it.

Theists and monotheists of various versions and perversions claim that atheism is morally void and leaves the Atheist without any reason to live. That would be laughable if it did not stop people from adopting atheist views.

How do the rest of you feel about that?

Does a deeper consciousness that there is only one life to live increase your vitality?

Would you say your view gives you more joy and pleasure in life?

Do you feel there is tangible evidence that you live life from a more moral view now that you are not xtian?

How do your post xtian views, whatever they are, affect you?

My take...

I am highly aware that after my life ends, I will no longer be able to do anything to make this world a better place for my children (7 & 8) and their children.

I do not look forward to an afterlife where all my mistakes are erased and I can then, "get it right".

Every day seems to be filtered through the idea that I'll never get another chance to live a moment again.

Fully embracing my atheism has given me a marvelous sense of being alive because it has brought to reality the finality of death.

To me, this alone places atheism far above any other way of viewing life.

As to "meaning" that so many people seem to be looking for... I find that every day has many and varied reasons to be alive and to pursue and persist as long and as vitally as I can.

I find this places Atheism as being a far more moral way to exist in this world.

There is no deferral of responsibility, no condemnation or forgiveness. There is life in all its outer beauty and inner goriness.

Life. One life not two or two gazillion. This is your chance to live it to its fullest.

No other way of viewing life offers so much reality and hence vitality.

I am an Atheist. I believe this is the one life I have to live and I don't want to waste it.

Theists and monotheists of

Religion took so much AWAY from my life. I no longer live in fear of some fuckin boogyman recording my every action in the sky. As an atheist, I am living way more fully,morally,and completely than ever before.

Yeah, this concept of one life--no afterlife--is one of the tougher and more poignant things to ponder about being an non-theist. Step one was realizing that mom and dad no longer exists--okay, that's not so bad. Step two was a bit of mourning over not seeing them again in heaven. Step three--got that behind me and took a look around and found that this one life is terrifically precious, fantastically interesting and wide-open to my living it with great intent and awareness. I am still the moral and optimistic person I've always been--but the 'four-score and ten' of my time on earth sure makes it even better...

From birth to death, it's just like this. - old Zen saying.

Mongo I do not think I could say it any better than you put it.

I do feel so much more alive and at peace with myself and the world sinse coming to terms with being an atheist.

I only have one life and one world to live it in.

Enjoy

Enjoy

So Douglas,

Why do you spend it scaring people with your Avatar???

Eric

We as nontheists should be more moral than our religious peers; after all, we only have one life to live, and will be remembered only for our actions taken in this one life -- we don't get a "second chance" and should make this one worth the while.

I think, right now, I am pretty much--sorta--agnostic. But I agree with Mongo. I think the mere possibility that this maybe it leads me to want to live a beautiful and full life. Because, when it is all said and done then that's it...

I've done more this year than I ever have in my entire life being a Christian. I've finally grown up, and I could never do that being a Christian.

I still value the morals imparted to me by my mother(based on x-tianity). However, that is as far as it goes.

I still value the morals imparted to me by my mother(based on x-tianity). However, that is as far as it goes.

LMR,

The first four commandments deal with massaging god's feeble ego although they are actually about getting people to submit to authority.

The fifth isn't really necessary but works well to get people to submit to authority.

The next five deal with morality that is considered universal.

My Mom and Dad had good consciences and passed on the same values to me. They took me to church but they didn't teach me many christian values. If they had, I would have hated gays. I never did.

Mythical Jesus taught that when someone smacks you on the cheek, to give them the other. I don't suggest you try that on me.

To me, the sermon on the mount is bullshit.

I simply can't teach my kids so called "christian values" because those that specifically come from the bible are immoral.

Eric

Mongo,

Your post makes a great testimony for living in the real world, unencumbered by god-beliefs, and I agree with you with one small comment. "Filter" doesn't seem to be the right descriptive for embracing life while we have it and knowing that it is finite. No suggestion for a better one right now, perhaps later.

I think also that it's a good point you raise about what to teach your kids. The way I see it, all of those of us who are alive in this time frame, including the kids, share a chunk of space and time together. Everyone we see, in just a hundred years, will be gone, most likely the children too. So, what to pass on to them? That the good things we do for the people we're sharing this piece of time with have a habit of multiplying in ways we may not think of right now, on to the next generations. And, who knows, we may even be remembered for the good things we did, even though we may not be here to recognize it. That's the closest we can come to immortality.

Enjoy

So Douglas,

Why do you spend it scaring people with your Avatar???

Eric

First let me say I like your avatar. It came from what I consider to be a comic classic Blazing Saddles. It made me laugh my ass off and still does.

I also liked Young Frankenstein. Another great movie.

I also liked The Devils Rejects(not so much a comedy but some of the scenes did make me laugh in a twisted kind of way). You are not the first to mention this. I like Captain Spalding but I will see if I can find something that others as well as myself like. I am a pretty easy going person so let me know what you think of the next avatar(Although it may not be permanent) :wicked:

Enjoy

You are not the first to mention this. I like Captain Spalding but I will see if I can find something that others as well as myself like. I am a pretty easy going person so let me know what you think of the next avatar(Although it may not be permanent) :wicked:

Enjoy

Douglas NOOOO!!!!!

I'm not serious. Well kind of, the former avatar had a strange dissonance but I'm teasing.

Your other avatar makes you memorable.

I would never tell you to change that. Please put it back, I feel bad. :eek:

Mongo

PS - Yea, when I first saw it (Grade 11 or 12) I burst my sides at the supper scene where they were eating beans. Don't ask me why.

I like the line:

Sherrif: Candygram for Mongo!

Mongo: Mongo like Candy!

Kaboom!