Goodbye Jesus

Ozzy Pm Proposes School Chaplains

Jun

PM denies chaplaincy 'religious crusade'

By David Crawshaw

October 30, 2006 06:24pm

Article from: AAP

PRIME Minister John Howard denies being on a religious crusade with his controversial proposal to place government-approved chaplains in Australian schools.

All schools will be eligible to receive $20,000 to employ a chaplain, to fill what Mr Howard says is a void of spiritual and pastoral guidance available in Australian schools.

Mr Howard says the $90 million scheme, which he announced on Sunday, will be open to chaplains of many faiths and is not designed to discriminate in favour of one religious group.

Critics argue many schools already offer counselling services to students similar to the role Mr Howard envisages for the chaplains.

Former New South Wales premier Bob Carr has described the proposal as "retrograde", and warned it could divide school communities and lead to a string of anti-discrimination actions.

Mr Carr's views contrast with those of federal Labor's education spokeswoman Jenny Macklin, who has pledged her party's support for the program.

Mr Howard today rejected the proposition that he was hijacking public schools to promote his conservative religious beliefs.

"I'm not on some crusade," he said to Southern Cross Broadcasting.

"Religious belief is a personal thing.

"I don't ram my personal beliefs down people's throats and never will."

Mr Howard insisted the chaplaincy program did not blur the line between church and state in secular Australia.

"Those who say this is blurring the distinction are therefore saying that paying assistance to independent schools is blurring the distinction. Plainly neither is," he said.

Education Minister Julie Bishop said many Australian schools already offered counselling, but the chaplaincy program would give parents and students a greater range of support services.

The Australian Council of State School Organisations offered guarded support for the scheme but said it must remain up to schools to decide whether to participate.

The group's executive officer, Terry Aulich, warned the Government's power to veto a school's choice of chaplain could divide school communities.

He called for greater detail to be released concerning the program, particularly as to how schools will select chaplains the Government views as suitable.

"I think that's a potential minefield and it's going to require very sensitive handling," Mr Aulich said.

"It's sensitive territory for any government to get into.

"We have no objection to it but we need to look closely at the details, in particular how people are chosen to be chaplains, which religious backgrounds they are from, and we're particularly interested to see how it could be made a little more inclusive."

Democrats leader Lyn Allison said today the program risked blurring the line between church and state.

"We say government schools should be secular and this money would be much better spent on school counsellors or youth workers," Ms Allison said on ABC radio today.

"Essentially, what's happening is the prime minister is asking taxpayers to fund what is essentially a religious activity."

Australian Christian Lobby managing director Jim Wallace said the state school system often had neglected children's spiritual needs.

"I am pleased that those schools which choose to do so can now access federal funds to employ a school chaplain who will provide pastoral care and spiritual support to children," he said.

PM denies chaplaincy 'religious crusade'

By David Crawshaw

October 30, 2006 06:24pm

Article from: AAP

PRIME Minister John Howard denies being on a religious crusade with his controversial proposal to place government-approved chaplains in Australian schools.

All schools will be eligible to receive $20,000 to employ a chaplain, to fill what Mr Howard says is a void of spiritual and pastoral guidance available in Australian schools.

Mr Howard says the $90 million scheme, which he announced on Sunday, will be open to chaplains of many faiths and is not designed to discriminate in favour of one religious group.

Critics argue many schools already offer counselling services to students similar to the role Mr Howard envisages for the chaplains.

This idea that there's such a thing as a "spiritual void" needs to be pointed out for being the elephant in the room that it is! This is bullshit-ese for "I want religion in schools, and I'm willing to downplay my motives to get it.".

The very idea that there are spiritual forces in the first place is a religious idea, and thus it is automatically disqualified from consideration. Furthermore, it's discriminatory against people of NO faith. Atheist kids and atheist parents don't have any use for this chaplain. To them, it's just a waste of their tax money.

The very idea that there are spiritual forces in the first place is a religious idea, and thus it is automatically disqualified from consideration. Furthermore, it's discriminatory against people of NO faith. Atheist kids and atheist parents don't have any use for this chaplain. To them, it's just a waste of their tax money.

Exactly!