Goodbye Jesus

I was Christian

GiantBear

My Christianity lasted roughly 9 years. Most of which I was sincere, devoted and Reformed.

I was raised nominally Catholic. During this time, there were brief spurts of reflecting on Christianity/Catholicism and living it. It was the best thing that I knew of at the time. At roughly age 19, I started believing again after a few years of unbelief. This time the believing stuck and was Jonathan Edwards-intense, minus the mean intellect and will.

Immediately before the intense believing, I was "questioning." The Bible was confusing and scary. As a very sinful person, how could my good deeds ever catch up enough to get me into Heaven? I know that is un-Biblical, but the thought of this had me "looking for a loophole." I wanted to be a good person too, but avoiding Hell seemed even more important.

While "questioning," my spirtual hunger was so big that I let Jehovah's Witnesses into my home to talk about the Bible. They said there was no Hell and had pictures of Paradise Earth where we can forever picnic with tigers and bears. "No Hell" was infinitely more appealing than the supremely attractive chilling to be had with the furry animals. I'm normal, so I love furry animals. I'm more normal in the way that Hell is disgusting to me. I figured that if I were God, I would release Hitler from Hell after millions of years. It didn't make sense to me. It made me afraid of God.

Then I called some Fundamentalists who had an ad in the phone book for teaching the Bible from their home. It was not hard to convince me that Hell was taught in the New Testament. Among other things, they taught the method of saying the "Sinner's Prayer" to receive immediate, eternal salvation. Their slant was eternal security, regardless of how ill you lived from there on. Just say one prayer in your life to meet the condition of believing in unconditional salvation. Those who believed in conditions were damned. I guess they were damned. *shrug*

The Fundamentalist couple were poor apologists with shallow, unchallenged theology. Their bookshelf had nothing written before the middle of the 19th century and was 100% Baptistic. I was soon Reformed. The desire to have my faith make sense defeated my hatred of predestination. Talking to Christians, reading the Bible and Christian books challenged and tweaked my faith.

Obedience and hope became large in my life. I learned what some people on this website seem to skip over - that Christian teaching, living and fellowship have massive, positive potential along with their massive, negative potential.

There were bad experiences, but these did not ultimately drive me out. There were doubts that wore me down, and eventually drove me out. For years, I found Christian replies to common criticisms of the faith. People who talked against Christianity normally strengthened my beliefs with shallow, uninformed arguments. There were doubters who didn't want to debate and they probably could've helped me the most.

Faith still became harder and less reasonable. Many Christians renounce the faith after five years and now I know why. It became extremely hard and empty after about five years. I held on, looking for reason to confirm my faith. Eventually, what I see as the four options of Christianity closed up.

1. Historic Protestantism - Does the Bible have one or more contradictions? Yes. This is a lethal blow to historic Protestantism and to many sects.

2. Roman Catholicism - Has the Roman Church changed teachings on faith and morals one or more times? Yes. Their authority must be fake.

3. Eastern Orthodoxy - Has the Eastern Church changed teachings on faith and morals one or more times? Yes. Their authority must be fake.

4. Pentecostalism - It's practice is un-Biblical, swarming with false prophecies and centered in hypnotic, suggestive ranting. Other than that, it finds other ways to suck. However, they can be entertaining in a "Homer Simpson being air-lifted out of Springfield Gorge and having his bandaged head banged against the rock repeatedly" sort of way.

I am not too bitter. I still believe in God. I have Christian friends.

I have come out grateful. Reason led me out. Reason could lead me back in. It is hard to see that happening, but reason is my friend and can do what it wants.

It is also hard to see where I go from here. I have only been an "anti-christ" for a few months.

I was encouraged to read some testimonies. This website is cool. Maybe I'll get to talk to some of you.

Word to your mom,

GiantBear

Welcome aboard.... I hope you enjoy your experience here.

Hi GiantBear, and welcome!

I hope you will enjoy it here and have a lot of things to add to the discussions.

Thanks for the welcome. It's nice to hear.

Just don't start asking for 10% of my shit. :grin:

-GiantBear

Just don't start asking for 10% of my shit.  :grin:

-GiantBear

By all means, you can keep your shit. I personally don't like rummaging around people's septic tanks...... :wicked:

-GiantBear

EAC(Evil Atheist Conspiracy) does demand a 9% *cough* donation.

Merlin

Guest JP1283

You'll feel right at home here. Some of our members still believe in God/dess(es). Thanks for sharing your story!

Welcome,

JP

Welcome to ExC GiantBear. :)

Guest aexapo
1. Historic Protestantism - Does the Bible have one or more contradictions? Yes. This is a lethal blow to historic Protestantism and to many sects.

2. Roman Catholicism -  Has the Roman Church changed teachings on faith and morals one or more times? Yes. Their authority must be fake.

3. Eastern Orthodoxy - Has the Eastern Church changed teachings on faith and morals one or more times? Yes. Their authority must be fake.

4. Pentecostalism - It's practice is un-Biblical, swarming with false prophecies and centered in hypnotic, suggestive ranting. Other than that, it finds other ways to suck. However, they can be entertaining in a "Homer Simpson being air-lifted out of Springfield Gorge and having his bandaged head banged against the rock repeatedly" sort of way.

This was essentially the last straw for me -- when I realized all the above, and realized Christian belief is basically based on heresay, and an often contradictory book. It's basically a nice rumor.

My belief said that God can work miracles. I never saw one, but I heard about stories from people who knew people who knew people.

My belief said that God could change people. I knew plenty of people who claimed "transformation" from their sinful ways, but I never saw changed behavior. I begged God to change my own "sinful nature" -- it never happened.

My belief said that 10% of my earnings belonged to God. My 10% never seemed to do more than provide the pastor with new pick-up trucks, a Mercedes for the wife, and two-story home in an exclusive neighborhood.

Their promises sound wonderful, and the consequences sound scarey -- but I would need something more than nice stories and a confusing book -- and that's all Christianity has to offer.

EAC(Evil Atheist Conspiracy) does demand a 9% *cough* donation.

Merlin

shhh....you dont say that until they are completely addicted... :HaHa:

Thanks again for all the welcomes in their various forms.

I not only like this website, but I'm getting quite the jolly out of people calling me 'GiantBear.' If only I can get people at work to call me GiantBear. Then I'll be set.

Peace,

GiantBear

Thanks again for all the welcomes in their various forms.

I not only like this website, but I'm getting quite the jolly out of people calling me 'GiantBear.' If only I can get people at work to call me GiantBear. Then I'll be set.

Peace,

GiantBear

GiantBear, GiantBear, GiantBear, GiantBear, GiantBear, GiantBear, GiantBear, GiantBear.

Just to boost you a bit more :)

-GiantBear

No, you only have to pay 5% here. :D:D:D

Welcome!

No, you only have to pay 5% here.  :D:D:D

Welcome!

It's only 3% if you're willing to be the webmasters man whore for a month.

You can have your fee waived completely if you know who David Cross is.