Goodbye Jesus

Parents

Amethyst

Argh. What part of "I'm agnostic" do they not get? :Doh:

So I'm talking to my parents on the phone, and mentioned that my department is reorganizing at work, and my dad goes "You should probably get back into praying."

I said, "I don't believe it really helps."

He said something to the effect of that it doesn't matter and I should do it anyway.

I've been honest with them about what I think. I guess they are still in denial.

:ugh:

Perhaps you should pull out the other A word. Maybe then might he get the picture.

Argh.  What part of "I'm agnostic" do they not get? :Doh:

So I'm talking to my parents on the phone, and mentioned that my department is reorganizing at work, and my dad goes "You should probably get back into praying."

I said, "I don't believe it really helps."

He said something to the effect of that it doesn't matter and I should do it anyway.

I've been honest with them about what I think.  I guess they are still in denial.

Heh heh... I know how you feel. When my husband and I were first married, we didn't go to church but my husband was still somewhat of a believer. Since we didn't go to church, she blamed our early financial woes and a miscarriage I had on the fact that we weren't praying anymore.

Now that my husband has fully deconverted (and boy that pisses his mom off), he got a 32% raise at his job and we are doing fine. HA!

Perhaps you should pull out the other A word. Maybe then might he get the picture.

Don't get me wrong, I get along with my parents most of the time. It just seems like they're having a bit of trouble accepting reality, that's all. I think they don't want to accept that their "little girl" is grown up now, and can do what she wants.

I know exactly what you mean. I had to have a little conversation with my mom when she was visiting a few days ago too.

She thought I was an athiest.

I had to explain that I was a deist.

I knew she was uncomfortable. I mean, not by anything she said....it was her body language. It got all stiff....you know?

She's always been verbally tolerant about my choices....but her body language gives away how she really feels.

She's not comfortable with me leaving christianity.

Argh.  What part of "I'm agnostic" do they not get? :Doh:

Hi Amethyst,

Lordy, loo. Sometimes I'm just left speechless by my family...

Thankfully my folks are pretty cool customers and we just avoid politics and religion, but some of my siblings are so passive-aggressive about it, saying things like, "the Lord has really guided us to blah blah blah," knowing full well that I don't believe a word of it. Just their way of "being a good soldier for Christ." Hearing about how much time they spend with the Lord and all of that. I cringe to think that I was once even more holier-than-thou than they are.

I try to be gracious and just say, "Oh that's nice" - bs like that. Except once my sister-in-law really pissed me off w/ a bunch of God-talk and I let her have it. I regretted it later: I felt that I had descended to their level of judging others and being so damned critical. It may not be totally frank (I'm not going to lie about my thoughts and philosophy) but I love them too much to cause them harm.

So I just usually shut up.

Current American culture overrates complete and total frankness, IMO.

Evangelicals tend to use Scripture almost as talismans: since it's God's Word, just saying these words will have some magical effect. Rather like a wiccan incantation. I try to remember that this is their viewpoint, and I take it less personally (but I still say "Christ" under my breath).