Goodbye Jesus

A Dumb Argument

Greydon Square

So im in the copyroom and my friend comes in and he starts asking me about church, so then i tell him naw not gonna work...blah blah blah, im atheist and he asks why... so i tell him very simply that i just felt that the christian god was logically impossible. So HE SAYS, well god doesnt work off of human logic he has his own.......WHAT???? Then he goes on to say that there is a god and the proof is man being the top of the food chain and being intelligent....anyone want to offer a word on ignorance like that?????????

Guest Thoth-Amon

So im in the copyroom and my friend comes in and he starts asking me about church, so then i tell him naw not gonna work...blah blah blah, im atheist and he asks why... so i tell him very simply that i just felt that the christian god was logically impossible. So HE SAYS, well god doesnt work off of human logic he has his own.......WHAT???? Then he goes on to say that there is a god and the proof is man being the top of the food chain and being intelligent....anyone want to offer a word on ignorance like that?????????

Really? We are at the top of the food chain? What about HIV? Or flesh eating bacteria or the loads and loads of other microorganisms that feed off of us and kill us?

*snickering*

Yeah, something about fools that don't trust in God, blah blah blah, I'm sure.

Forget trying to reason with this dipshit, he lacks reasoning capabilities if he's going to tell you that God doesn't work off mere HUMAN logic, since God has his OWN logic.

Of course, what they don't factor in is that if God doesn't appeal to HUMAN logic, people turn away when they get tired of fear.

anyone want to offer a word on ignorance like that?????????

Drop a FAE on him before the brain-eating disease spreads.

(That's the infamous "daisy cutter" bombs for those who don't know yet that FAE = "fuel-air explosive")

*reads about a new megachurch being built somewhere*

Rats - too late.

Graydon Square,

Were you not in an email debate on another thread? You did great by the way. The other guy was a dweeb.

So what kind of nut job industry do you work in? Do you live in the south?

Anyway…

What you are encountering Graydon is someone who has completely abandoned their own thought processes. I know you know that but how to deal with it can be confusing if you start with the premise that there is a logical approach.

I recommend that you reply with “You know I used to believe that but I started thinking for myself.”

Or “I have a lot of friends who used to believe that but they started thinking for themselves.”

Or, “You know, religion interests me and I’d love to talk to you about it but can’t have a conversation with you if you don’t respect logic and thinking for yourself. Why don’t you think about that and if you change your mind maybe sometime I’ll let you buy me a coffee.” (by the way – when he invites you out to chat you pick up the coffee – don’t let them out “nice” you)

Dan Barker has a great resource you may appreciate called Leading Believers Astray

http://ffrf.org/fttoday/back/evangel.html

Here is a summary of tactics:

1) Be friendly.

a. The #1 need of people is acceptance.

b. The #1 fear of people is rejection

c. People trust those who they feel like them

2) Identify common ground. “I was there”, “I used to think that way”

3) Encourage people to think for themselves

4) Seek to enhance self image not destroy it.

5) Ask for a level playing field in discourse. Ask that they evaluate your ideas with the same reasonableness that you show.

6) Show that freethinkers can be moral people

7) Keep the message positive. Are you not happy being a freethinker

8) Agree with them as much as possible.

9) The only possible bait we have is the freedom of thinking for yourself. Don't use knowledge as a weapon. Use it as a lure. Don't make them mad--make them envious!

10) Knowledge brings a power that is stronger than loyalty. Knowledge is stronger than faith

Mongo

I find that I've been using those tactics a lot myself. Especially #8, because the more you agree with them, the less they have to use against you.

According to the bible, "man is made in god's image" if that is supposed to be TRUE then our "human logic" is a MIRROR of biblegod's logic. So the argument that god's logic is somehow different from our own falls through right there.

And as for man being at the top of the food chain....tell it to the peoples of India who wear backward masks to protect them from tiger attacks.

http://www.tigerhomes.org/animal/curriculu...al-tiger-pc.cfm

Since tigers are hunters based on vulnerability, they attack the last person in line traveling amongst the group. It is standard practice now for the person last in line to wear a mask with bold eyes wide-open staring backwards to ward off the risk of any attack. This reduces the tiger's ability to stalk the men because it appears is if the human is looking in both directions. As funny as this mask wearing technique may seem, when used it has proven to reduce attacks to ZERO!

Or how about folks attacked by bears? Some dumbass tree-hugger want to claim that all animal attacks on humans being a case of "mistaken identity" are offering a socially approved LIE aimed at children so they won't be afraid.

Polar bears knowingly stalk and have killed human beings.

Ask him how long you have to agree with his theology before you're privy to his esoteric understanding.

By the way...

This idea comes from 1 Corinthians 1:17 - 2:16.

Essentially because the spirit of god dwells in the believer, he can understand god and his ways and that since were are infidels that do not have god's spirit we cannot understand them.

I would imagine... given the chance... a rapist or child molester would make the same argument. "You wouldn't understand. I have these desires. If you had themlike I have them, you'd do it too but you don't. I'm special. You... you have no sex real drive. You don't even like sex. Well.. not like I do."

Ick! I just creeped myself out but I see a point here; draw your victim into thinking that it is normal if you adopt a whole new paradigm. Dangerous stuff.

Mongo

If man is made in god's image, isn't our logic based on his logic?

If I'm not mistaken, the claim that god has a logic beyond human logic is a Special Pleading.

As to the rest of it, the guy obviously doesn't have a clue. Others have already cited examples of animals that kill and eat humans regularly, and organisms which consume us when we die; I might also add that dolphins and other animals may well be as intelligent as humans are (though conclusions on this are still up in the air).

Even if humans were at the top of the food chain and more intelligent than other animals, that isn't proof of a deity at all. It's only "proof" that we're at the top of the food chain and are more intelligent. Assuming these things are due to the influence of a deity is just that: an assumption.

Dust the floor with this guy's pasty apologetic butt.

hahahahahah, i love this site, you guys are off the chain, but yea he doesnt have a leg to stand on...

No, we are not at the top of the food chain, we have to use things like guns to kill other animals. An animal such as a lion, a tiger, or a bear does not need a gun to kill a human.

Logic is logic. It isn't human logic or alien logic or god logic. Either something is logical or it is not.

Thats what these Fundies fail to realize, humans are not the top of the food chain! Not even close. If god or whatever truly created anything in its own image then god would have to be.....................wait for it.............................A COCKROACH! How you say? Many scientists agree that the one thing that would survive a nuclear holocaust would be the cockroach, and a cockroach can also survive up to seven days without its head! Now show me a human who can beat that! :grin:

Thats what these Fundies fail to realize, humans are not the top of the food chain! Not even close. If god or whatever truly created anything in its own image then god would have to be.....................wait for it.............................A COCKROACH! How you say? Many scientists agree that the one thing that would survive a nuclear holocaust would be the cockroach, and a cockroach can also survive up to seven days without its head! Now show me a human who can beat that! :grin:

This is true...well i noticed that xtians tend to use gawd as a security blanket so its no suprise that they can not cope with the truth. Fucc Em