Goodbye Jesus

How Closed-minded Can You Get?

Star Stuff

Sad, but not surprising. I recently registered on a christian forum and my first post included a brief account of my life's experience. I inserted a few links, like godisimaginary.com / richarddawkins.net / thegodmovie.com

(Yes, it was an attempt to cause the blind to see).

Within 24 hours, I received the following, and they called it a "WARNING":

Im sorry i cannot allow you to continue here as you have not clearly accepted our statement of faith. This is a christians only forum and non-christians are not allowed to discuss topics here.

I replied with the following:

It is truly amazing how blind christians can be. You claim to follow in christs footsteps and pattern your life after his, yet can you even begin to imagine that he would pull such a stunt as yours? No, even though we actually know almost nothing about the life of Jesus, the general consensus of the bible you claim to follow depicts him as being all inclusive, yet you are being EXclusive. Your "not accepted our statement of faith" excuse is just that, an excuse. YOU have created that policy, not Jesus, and I imagine that if he were to show up tomorrow in your presence, he would scold you up & down for being so pious, arrogant, and exclusive and would suggest to you that you still just don't get it.

Christianity (as most religions) is driven by the three time-worn tools of FEAR, GUILT, and SHAME, and you are AFRAID of having your little flock THINK. You read the bible and books about the bible, and therefore your viewpoint on.......everything, is distorted.

Remember, I was there for 25 years and am now so utterly embarrassed by the way I used to view things.

Christianity is a childlike, infantile state where you hang on to an imaginary daddy figure.

"God is an imaginary friend for grown-ups".

I'd love to start an Atheist's forum, and just kick people out if they mention that they're Christian. Can you imagine the outrage?

I guess they have a right to decide who can and cannot post on their forum. That being said, did you shake the dust off your sandals and inform them that this was a testimony against them? Let's hope the manager read your response and gave it some serious thought. Not that I'd count on it, though.

I'd love to start an Atheist's forum, and just kick people out if they mention that they're Christian. Can you imagine the outrage?

There are some atheist forums around. You could check to see if there are christians on them. Come to think of it, no forum can be clearer about its focus than exChristian. If Christians would sully their righteous selves, as they so obviously do, by visiting us--complete with sermons bases on nothing but the title of our forum--it can probably be assumedd that they also visit any atheist forum that tolerates them. The problem is that our ethics don't allow us to treat them the way they treat us.

StarStuff, were you actually surprised at the result of your posting? You handed them links to Old Scratch himself, in their view. Were you able to view any replies, or did they delete your post?

Not sure what you mean by "Old Scratch".

No, there were no responses........it was deleted pronto.

They have no rational arguement.

Give me their website so I can smite them with the fist of fury. Or at least infiltrate their ranks and seduce them to the Light Side. :)

Not sure what you mean by "Old Scratch".

No, there were no responses........it was deleted pronto.

They have no rational arguement.

"Old Scratch" is a euphimism for Satan.

Well, you tried and you're right. That was a good response.

How is Jesus all inclusive? I thought he was anything but. It's only contemporary impression that he is a uniter not a divider (heard that one before somewhere).

You should have responded to that warning with: "Why are you persecuting me?"

Aaaaaaaaaaagh!!!! They live in a bubble!

I posted a non-threatening post on another christian forum with a simple link to godisimaginary.com

and sincerely asked what they thought of it. The link was removed immediately. Their reason: It's an athiest web site.......... the word athiest isn't even mentioned though on the GII site

So I tried again, with a less threatening, intelligent link to www.pointofinquiry.org and asked what they thought of some of the very interesting audio interviews. That post was removed instantly too.

You really start to see what a distorted, impenetrable, closed-minded world they live in, complete with walls to any reason, discussion or questioning..........unless it's all safe & sanitary and goes along 100% with their warped little belief system.

It's like trying to talk to a child and they just cover their ears, close their eyes, shake their head from side to side while saying "la-la-la-la-la-la-la"

I posted a non-threatening post on another christian forum with a simple link to godisimaginary.com

and sincerely asked what they thought of it. The link was removed immediately. Their reason: It's an athiest web site.......... the word athiest isn't even mentioned though on the GII site

So I tried again, with a less threatening, intelligent link to www.pointofinquiry.org and asked what they thought of some of the very interesting audio interviews. That post was removed instantly too.

You really start to see what a distorted, impenetrable, closed-minded world they live in, complete with walls to any reason, discussion or questioning..........unless it's all safe & sanitary and goes along 100% with their warped little belief system.

It's like trying to talk to a child and they just cover their ears, close their eyes, shake their head from side to side while saying "la-la-la-la-la-la-la"

Exactly!!!!!!!!

However... the bible **tells** them to live like that.

Just google "I shall keep him in perfect peace who keeps his mind stayed on Me" and start reading all the comments about keeping out evil thoughts and how many people will blame the xtian's downfall into sin by not doing so.

This is our single biggest challenge in dealing with them.

Mongo

Doesn't take religion to make people act like this. The two people who threw me off their sites were NOT Christians. One was a deist and the other was an atheist.

That's a shame rubysera! Why did they throw you off?

I seem to remember you from another thread where you so clearly sided with my arch-enemy: closed-minded Fundamentalism. There are many kinds of fundamentalisms but none of them are honest. For that reason I accept this question with major caution. I think it is a sugar-coated, honeyed, candied-over lethal hook meant to catch a fish and never let go. This kind cannot handle the cold harsh truth of brutal reality that I always and forever draw to attention. If you had a website you would kick me off, too. So you can probably answer your own question.

I remember my Bible studies teacher saying "Be aware there are people out there who will tell you that there is no God and that the church is wrong. These people are decievers, they will lie to you to shake your faith. Turn from them, walk away for they are not worth talking to."

Its simply ingrained from the very first day that there is this secret society of evil people whose life work is to destroy Christianity.

Personally my most hated Christian quote is Pslam 14.1:

1 The fool says in his heart,

"There is no God."

They are corrupt, their deeds are vile;

there is no one who does good.

I've had some decent debates ruined by that line. You instantly know the walls have come up and nothing will penetrate the ignorance barriers in place.

Guest rumpelstiltskin

I seem to remember you from another thread where you so clearly sided with my arch-enemy: closed-minded Fundamentalism.

I'm afraid you're mistaken, Ruby.

Closed-minded Fundamentalism is anathema to me.

If I had a website I certainly would not 'kick you off'. Whatever gave you the idea that I would???

R

I seem to remember you from another thread where you so clearly sided with my arch-enemy: closed-minded Fundamentalism.

I'm afraid you're mistaken, Ruby.

Closed-minded Fundamentalism is anathema to me.

If I had a website I certainly would not 'kick you off'. Whatever gave you the idea that I would???

R

I go by what I see--NOT by what people call themselves. Accepting the label "close-minded Fundamentalist" is anathama to any person. So of course you say "close-minded Fundamentalism" is anathama to you. That is an predictable as the rising of the sun! Which, by the way, cannot be seen at the moment from my vantage point on this planet due to a heavy cloud cover. Likewise, your lethal sugar-coated true motivation cannot be seen at this point due to all the sweet stuff with which you cover it at the moment. Even marshmallows are lethal when they contain a sharp fish-hook.

As for the rest of your post--I'll believe it when I see it. What I have seen of you so far does anything but built my confidence in your good will.

Another unmistable sign that I'm dealing with a thorough-bred fundy is the way you evade the actual issue of the thread. Instead of focusing on the actual purpose of the thread you have taken it into your head to evangelize me.

The question of the thread is: How closed-minded can you get. You are providing us with an excellent object lesson. I'm sure my fellow exC's are aware of this. So if you like making a fool of yourself go ahead. Just don't ever think we don't see.

After discussing how closed minded one can get...

I'm left wondering what is wrong with booting out those who don't want to pursue a conversation in a particular direction.

If someone is interrupting by constantly injecting a new direction, how can booting them out be wrong?

I am in favour of limitations on what fundies are allowed to post in here and what is good for the goose must be served to the gander too.

When Dick and Jane are fighting, who is wrong... the one who goes to the other room or the one that follows them there?

Mongo

PS - Those of you who answered "Dick" or "Jane" are either closed minded or have a sense of humour. :scratch:

Guest rumpelstiltskin

Ok Ruby. You have obviously made up your mind that I am a Fundamentalist. You are wrong - absolutely wrong, and I wonder just who is being 'closed-minded' here.

R

What fun would that be?

Of course they'll kick you off their forum. How can you expect them to take the plank out of their eye when they're too busy fussing over the speck in yours.