Goodbye Jesus

So Disappointed

mick

The Old Test. attrocities is what really did it for me. (revisting them honestly)

Tonight, my wife is watching "Joni" and she is talking about abortion, and she is saying if you don't think abortion is babaric and that the fetus can't feel pain, then you are tragically mistaken.

Don't you think the "sucklings" that God had the Israelites slaughter by the sword could feel pain in a majorly significantly more profound way.

Truly heart broken over the bull shit lie Christianity turned out to be. Heart sick and heart broken that I followed it for so long.

6 months ago when I tried to tell my wife about the OT verses she made a cringing face, and actually acted like the verses don't exist. Then she accused me of "twisting" those scriptures.

I have really good days. But today I am heart broken and serious furious at how horrible this religion turned out to be. It ruined me potential life in some ways.

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

I don't think I could deal with a Christian spouse.

I went all the way to China to find a spouse that was not raised in the xtian ways. :ugh:

Granted, I'm not much of an abortion fan, but I'd love to throw that in some fundy's face, if only to highlight the hypocrisy in their position and the monster they worhip.

The Old Test. attrocities is what really did it for me. (revisting them honestly)

Tonight, my wife is watching "Joni" and she is talking about abortion, and she is saying if you don't think abortion is babaric and that the fetus can't feel pain, then you are tragically mistaken.

Don't you think the "sucklings" that God had the Israelites slaughter by the sword could feel pain in a majorly significantly more profound way.

Truly heart broken over the bull shit lie Christianity turned out to be. Heart sick and heart broken that I followed it for so long.

6 months ago when I tried to tell my wife about the OT verses she made a cringing face, and actually acted like the verses don't exist. Then she accused me of "twisting" those scriptures.

I have really good days. But today I am heart broken and serious furious at how horrible this religion turned out to be. It ruined me potential life in some ways.

My wife would never accept this kind of thing as moral but it just seems to go over her head.

When I mention these kinds of things to my (liberal) xtian wife, she reacts as if to say, "You've been burnt by religion, the bible can't really say that. You're just reading it wrong". (she doesn't say that though bt rather kind of a flat "Oh".) WTF

Sanity check time: any dissenting assessment of my wife. Have you seen this before. Again, she is a liberally moral person like me, that I guarantee. She is however highly ignorant of the bible.

Maybe I need to start reading bible passages to her and asking her to explain them?

Mongo

Recently I was talking with a fundie online. This is a bad habit I have -- as I have discussed before. She's young and comes from a similar religious background as I was when I was fundie. And as we talked she kept expressing how much she wished she knew the Bible as well as I did. I finally had to tell her that if she wanted to remain faithful then she should pray to never know the things I know about the Bible and Christianity. She just laughed it off like I was kidding. So I started using outrageous statements all the time. All of them biblical (from smashing babies heads with glee to emissions like horses). Needless to say she was rather disturbed and eventually asked me what had gotten into me and why I seemed so angry all of a sudden. I explained to her that I was just using Biblical imagery.

At first she didn't believe me. She doesn't know her Bible. So she asked me to show her. I did. First I got the out of context remarks. So she started reading everything around them. Then she wanted me to post whole chapters from the version I was reading. And finally all I got was: "We have to be reading this wrong. . ." And then the foolishness of that was clear as I walked her through several different translations (the web is a wonderful place). And I showed her a lot of the verses she's never heard in church.

But it was when I showed her the vivid [poetic] description of male on female oral sex that she cracked. "I am naive!" was all she could say. I told her that there was much more in the Bible that was worse than what I had covered and it would be best to not know about it. She got offline to "think" and I haven't heard from her since. I have a feeling she wanted to read more but didn't and then found a pastor to help explain her doubts and convince her not to talk to me. I know, I should think positive but I know how the fundies I was around work and that what I showed only disturbed most of them for a little bit before the pushed it down and away.

The Bible and Christianity is a horrible disgusting thing when you actually look beneath the surface. Fuck, the surface is pretty bad on it's own really.

My question is, what do you do when you marry someone non religious and then, suddenly, they become a fundamentalist?

That is my worst nightmare.

My question is, what do you do when you marry someone non religious and then, suddenly, they become a fundamentalist?

Mine too. But it's not going to happen for me, thankfully. I stopped worrying about it years ago, though I do sometimes have bad dreams about it...

My wife grew up quaker (i.e. southern baptist calling itself quaker) and was terrified of hell. Other than hell, she never swallowed the whole kool aid, cause her mom would do crazy shit like say the song "Kumbaya" was against Gawd because she felt gawd didn't need us to say when we were praising him. She also banned Care Bears because they were against gawd for some reason.

Even as a little girl, I think this showed my wife there's something rotten in Denmark. The fact her mom has had several mental meltdowns throughout her life further reinforced her idea that maybe christianity is all bullshit.

When we met she was totally agnostic, soon atheist. Now she's more atheist than I am.

I'm lucky because she was raised in the trite and hated it and pulled away. Now that I understand what she went through growing up, I dont worr'y anymore.

However, if she grew up completely non-religious, I think I'd try to expose her to the dangers of fundamentalism. Talk about it a lot, both read through the entirety of the bible without some picking and choosing pastor directing what we'd read and think, and visit several hardcore foaming at the mouth churches where the women cover their heads and can't talk (I've been to a few of these in my time). Also, Hell Houses are very good demonstrations of the all-out insanity and total lack of compassion fundamentalists have. Just look at the poor kids dragged to these horror shows...

Also watch The Passion, Jesus Camp, and other crazy movies that reveal what fundamentalism truly is.

The greatest tool against fundamentalism is education and intellectual stimulation... exactly what fundamentalism drives to stifle and destroy. Expose the bible for it really is before an emotional experience can happen off of sand... without a foundation in the so-called holy text the religion is based on.

We're going to homeschool our kid(s) and as I have a literary background, I'm going to start them off on the Bible pretty young, but teaching it from a mythological standpoint no different than the Odyssey or Aenied. Also, let them know all about the religions of the world, drive around on sundays and show em how many people are in church, and even offer to go with them if they want to see what it's all about (of course giving the child the option at any time to whisper to me "lets get the hell outta here" where we'll both walk out immediately).

Honestly my biggest fear is one of our future kids turning fundamentalist... but I think if they are exposed to the madness, that likely will not happen.

Welcome to my world. Wife was liberal Xtain, which was OK in my book. Now she's buying crap from AIG and thinks Gawd talks to her. :Hmm:

It's not all bad, but it's a huge burden on our relationship.

Also, Hell Houses are very good demonstrations of the all-out insanity and total lack of compassion fundamentalists have. Just look at the poor kids dragged to these horror shows...

Holy shit!!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell_house

I've never heard of that. That is so freakin' perverse!!

I've seen a Heaven's Gates, Hells Flames presentation and know someone who used to do that but Hell Houses is a whole new level of perversion.

Oddly these guys really don't see this kind of thing as brain washing. They think only "cults" manipulate.

I think fundies need to be called on their manipulative practices more often.

Thanks for the info.

Mongo

if you already know the bible as well as I do, you would rather eas ily be able to demonstrate to your spouse, if they are wondering about becoming fundy, that it is fucking awful. It is aproblem when you were dEceived, and your spouse has been deceived already, for so long. I think you are well equipped to handle that scenario. Bottom line, you NEED to know the Bible well, to PREVENT loved ones from getting sucked in.

quote name='LosingMyReligion' date='Nov 9 2006, 10:51 AM' post='230666']

Well, I have a fundamentalist spouse, but to be fair, the guy does not argue with me.

If he had said something like that (see quote) to me, I would have said that it is true the fetus feels pain. Short-lived pain that isn't nearly as bad as being born to a family of drug addicts who may starve the kid, beat her, sell him for sex. Or to be born in a "good" family where the baby isn't wanted. Or to be born to a single mother who won't have the time, the money, or the emotional strength to take care of the kid.

Frankly, anybody who is born is in for a lot of pain. The fetus receives a little pain and gets spared the rest of it.

I understand the feeling. The wounds are very raw once the realization sets in that no one is listening, and nobody is there to help you and support you when you need comfort most.

Thankfully, there are lots of other routes to comfort. Friends and family, and turning within to your own insights and ability to love and comfort yourself.

Either Christians (a) pretend the Old Testament doesn't exist, or b just let it go over their heads, or c accept it because "God is just and can do what he wants". I think for me it was a combination of b and c.

I remember when I did a bible study which involved the story of Abraham 'being tested by God'. You know the one, where he is about to kill his son. I didn't even consider at that time that the Abraham and Isaac story was completely immoral. To me it was a perfectly acceptable way of God testing his servant. :Wendywhatever:

The idea that "God is just" is one of the biggest loads of fucking bollocks. Hopefully more people will come to a realisation that the god of christianity is actually not just at all. Then they will realise what kind of god (or devil) they have been worshipping.

I remember when I did a bible study which involved the story of Abraham 'being tested by God'. You know the one, where he is about to kill his son. I didn't even consider at that time that the Abraham and Isaac story was completely immoral. To me it was a perfectly acceptable way of God testing his servant.

I think this is a pivotal passage and ties all of the dysfunction of christianity together.

I started a major rant on it and only have finished one page with another half page of notes/ideas to build on. When I get another 2-3 hours I'll try to add another page to it.

Mongo