Goodbye Jesus

Man Was Created In God's Image?

Mike D

Guest Gooneybird

Here's how I interpret this:

What is the image of god? Let's label the unification of all forces and all form that arises out of this infinite fabric of reality "god." I think we can agree that the universe makes beings. Beings that are capable of thinking. Upon what is your intelligence/consciousness predicated? Surely it's inseperable from the forces that govern everything. Surely your intelligence must be based on and one with a "cosmic intelligence," for lack of a better term. The underlying forces that dictate how matter interacts is the basis for your consciousness. Therefore I think of being created in the image of god as simply the idea that our form and consciousness emanates from and is enmeshed in god. Or am I saying that "man was created within god's image"?

I didn't say the whole Bible. There you go jumping to conclusions again. I said the Book of Genesis should not be taken literally.

This is a good thing. This way when Jesus later refers to Adam and Eve as real people, we can understand he was really not taking it literally, and then have to come up with some explaination why in his omniscience he, was ignorant of this more ancient creation myth from Sumeria:

In another Sumerian myth the goddess Ninhursag created a beautiful garden full of lush vegetation and fruit trees, called Edinu, in Dilman, the Sumerian earthly Paradise, a place which the Sumerians believed to exist to the east of their own land, beyond the sea. Ninhursag charged Enki, her lover, with controlling the wild animals and tending the garden, but Enki became curious about the garden and his assistant, Adapa, selected seven plants and offered them to Enki, who ate them. (In other versions of the story he seduced in turn seven generations of the offspring of his divine marriage with Ninhursag). This enranged Ninhursag, and she caused Enki to fall ill. Enki felt pain in his rib, which is a pun in Sumerian, as the word "ti" means both "rib" and "life. The other gods persuaded Ninhursag to relent. Ninhursag then created a new goddess named Ninti, (a name made up of "Nin", or "lady", plus "ti", and which can be translated as both Lady of Living and Lady of the Rib), to cure Enki. Ninhursag is known as mother of all living creatures, and thus holds the same position as Eve. The story has a clear parallel with Eve's creation from Adam's rib, but given that the pun with rib is present only in Sumerian, linguistic criticism places the Sumerian account as the more ancient.

http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Adam_and_Eve

Maybe everyone should therefore take everything in the Bible with a grain of salt? Seems so to me.

I didn't say the whole Bible. There you go jumping to conclusions again. I said the Book of Genesis should not be taken literally.

This is a good thing. This way when Jesus later refers to Adam and Eve as real people, we can understand he was really not taking it literally, and then have to come up with some explaination why in his omniscience he, was ignorant of this more ancient creation myth from Sumeria:

In another Sumerian myth the goddess Ninhursag created a beautiful garden full of lush vegetation and fruit trees, called Edinu, in Dilman, the Sumerian earthly Paradise, a place which the Sumerians believed to exist to the east of their own land, beyond the sea. Ninhursag charged Enki, her lover, with controlling the wild animals and tending the garden, but Enki became curious about the garden and his assistant, Adapa, selected seven plants and offered them to Enki, who ate them. (In other versions of the story he seduced in turn seven generations of the offspring of his divine marriage with Ninhursag). This enranged Ninhursag, and she caused Enki to fall ill. Enki felt pain in his rib, which is a pun in Sumerian, as the word "ti" means both "rib" and "life. The other gods persuaded Ninhursag to relent. Ninhursag then created a new goddess named Ninti, (a name made up of "Nin", or "lady", plus "ti", and which can be translated as both Lady of Living and Lady of the Rib), to cure Enki. Ninhursag is known as mother of all living creatures, and thus holds the same position as Eve. The story has a clear parallel with Eve's creation from Adam's rib, but given that the pun with rib is present only in Sumerian, linguistic criticism places the Sumerian account as the more ancient.

Maybe everyone should therefore take everything in the Bible with a grain of salt? Seems so to me.

Excellent! Well done Antlerman thank you.

I didn't say they weren't real people either :) What i'm trying to get at is that the Book of Genesis has been glossed over and simplified to try and give humans an understanding of how it all started. By not taking it literally I am not meaning that it is a lie. I'm trying to say that it has much deeper meanings to what we see on the surface.

God created every human with the potential to be him. The majority of humans don't understand how limitless out subconscious is. Basically, without the bounds of our human ego, we can do anything. We can even be God. And this is what he intended. God said that everything is God. Therefore we are God. The Church would have us believe that we were born into sin. Untrue - we can defeat sin if we want to. We can do just as Jesus did - if only we believed we could.

You apparently have a very non-traditional non-fundamentalist Christian interpretation of the Bible, as i've never heard this before. In my old pentecostal church they probably would have accused you of being a heretic and a blasphemer for making statements like this, or at minimum they would believe you had been tricked by Satan into believing lies and had been given over to the devil.

As for god's image, most Christians take this literally (at least most fundies), not figuratively.

I couldn't care less about what the Church says. The Church is the downfall of Christianity as we know it. Organized religion isn't how it was meant to be. We're meant to listen to God's word, not mans.

We're meant to listen to God's word, not mans.

Crikey, you still don't get it.

"God" is fictional. "God" doesn't exist. There is no such thing.

"Gods" word is mans word. The idea of a "God" was created by man. So the teachings, the very words, of ALL the religions are MANS WORDS.

The Abrahamic religions are a concoction of earlier teachings from Sumeria, Egypt, India, Greece.............and a lot of other places. Heck, many of the practices and references were pagan in origin.

Crikey, you still don't get it.

"God" is fictional. "God" doesn't exist. There is no such thing.

I respect your beliefs, try and respect mine huh?

You appear to be pushing your beliefs and stating things that most here know to be false.

Don't just make statements that only you can believe or relate to. Offer some verifiable evidence so that we may all put it to the test. You are posting on an Ex-Christian forum, and we are (most of us) sick to death of references to there being an omnipotent all-knowing "God." Give us the proof.

As for my beliefs, I don't care what you think about them. In fact, I'd be happy for you to question them and tear them to pieces. I have been, and am continually questioning the teachings I follow and putting them to the test. Don't believe in something because you read it in a book, or on a website, or a famous person from the past has taught it. See for yourself, with your own eyes. Question EVERYTHING. Question deeply and continually.

Go ahead, try it. If you pursue your questions long enough and HONESTLY enough, there will come a time when it hits you and you'll say, "Crikey, strike me pink, now I know it's fair dinkum."

Oh, and I DO respect your beliefs - you just can't see what I'm trying to get you to do.

You appear to be pushing your beliefs and stating things that most here know to be false.

Don't just make statements that only you can believe or relate to. Offer some verifiable evidence so that we may all put it to the test. You are posting on an Ex-Christian forum, and we are (most of us) sick to death of references to there being an omnipotent all-knowing "God." Give us the proof.

As for my beliefs, I don't care what you think about them. In fact, I'd be happy for you to question them and tear them to pieces. I have been, and am continually questioning the teachings I follow and putting them to the test. Don't believe in something because you read it in a book, or on a website, or a famous person from the past has taught it. See for yourself, with your own eyes. Question EVERYTHING. Question deeply and continually.

Go ahead, try it. If you pursue your questions long enough and HONESTLY enough, there will come a time when it hits you and you'll say, "Crikey, strike me pink, now I know it's fair dinkum."

Oh, and I DO respect your beliefs - you just can't see what I'm trying to get you to do.

Yes, I do understand what you're trying to get me to do, but if you're looking for proof of God, then you're totally missing the point. There is no proof. Only faith.

The reason my posts have been short, to the point and with little evidence is because I have exams at the moment (information technology degree). Once that's over (thursday) i'll have time to argue my points a bit more.

Yes, I do understand what you're trying to get me to do, but if you're looking for proof of God, then you're totally missing the point.

No, Marty. I'm not looking for proof of "God." I'm trying to get you to open your eyes and your mind, to question and analyse - to take off your rose coloured glasses.

Religions are all about trying to put you into a little box - but you don't get a chance to decorate the box!

Yes, I do understand what you're trying to get me to do, but if you're looking for proof of God, then you're totally missing the point.

No, Marty. I'm not looking for proof of "God." I'm trying to get you to open your eyes and your mind, to question and analyse - to take off your rose coloured glasses.

Religions are all about trying to put you into a little box - but you don't get a chance to decorate the box!

I make my own beliefs. I do a lot of research. I talk to a lot of people. I gather information - teachings of life, etc. Then I analyse it, and put together what I call a belief. And it turns out the belief that made the most sense to me was one of God.

:wacko:

I make my own beliefs. I do a lot of research. I talk to a lot of people. I gather information - teachings of life, etc. Then I analyse it, and put together what I call a belief. And it turns out the belief that made the most sense to me was one of God.

Do you mind if we discuss this further in a new post? I've started a new post in the Lion's Den to discuss it.

No wonder there are so many ugly and frightening looking people aroundpost-2422-1163413130_thumb.jpg if "God" looks like this:

:wacko:

Do you mind if we discuss this further in a new post? I've started a new post in the Lion's Den to discuss it.

I can't see it?

Anyway, not tonight, I have an exam in the morning.

Peace. :)

Well I guess this is where we differ. What you have really is lots of people who have written or spoken on God's behalf (even if they were "god inspired" as most of them claim, they are still acting as his proxy), yet God himself remains mysteriously silent on the issue. I guess that is unless you believe god himself got a pen out and literally wrote the Bible himself with is own hand.

I find it amusing that a god who supposedly can do anything at all, and has the power of every resource known to exist at his command, would choose to communicate with us using one of the most inefficient and error-prone methods of communication known: hearsay.

Just wondering what excuses Christians have given as to what exactly is meant by man was created in God's image?

Any ideas?

Well, if I had to guess I would say that this is simply a play on idolatry. We would make little gods in our image but they just sat there and did nothing. Along comes god, and using the same material, forms a little man idol in his literal image (we look physically like god) but instead of just sitting there he make it come magically to life. So the author was saying we don't make god(s) in our image but rather we were made in god(s) image.

The whole "spiritual" aspect (having to do with a soul and all) was tacked on later and has nothing to do with the story as written.

mwc

Yeah, man was created in God's image... right, sure. I think that's quite a twist and what is more likely the truth.

Gods are created in the image of men. That's the nature of anthropomorphism.

If we were created in God's Image, why are there so many stupid people?

If we were created in God's image why are there so many ugly individuals?

God must have low self esteem...

If I were god I would make everyone look like Supermodels. Even then beauty is totally subjective.

• 7 months later...

Man Was Created In The Image And After The Likeness Of The One God As You Find In Genesis 1; 26 And I Quote '' Lets Us Make Man In Our Image , And After Our Likess ; '' And Everybody LQQks Different ( Except ) For Identical Twins Etc . Then Either The God Of The Bible Is Confused About The Way He LQQKS Or The Image Of God Is Constantly Changing Or There Is More Than One God . The Word Used In Aramic / Hebrew For '' Image '' Is Tselem Meaning '' Resemblance , Semblance '' And Then The Aramic / Hebrew Word Used For '' Likeness ''' Is Demuwth Meaning '' To Be Like SomeOne Or SomeThings , To Resemble , To Be Compared To '' Now If Man Is Created In The Image And After The Likeness Of God And That Mean That Man Is Like In All Ways And Manners , And Since People LQQk Different . They Range In Features . Shapes , Sizes And Many Other Chasracteristics , So Which One Man Has The Image And Likeness Of God ???

What Is '' GODS '' Blood Type ?

Christian Won't Know How To Answer This One . Sine Adam Was Created In The Image And After The Likeness Of God According To Genesis 1 ; 27 , Then Ask Your Teacher , Preacher , Ministers . Deacons , Rabbis , Imaam AndOther Religious Leaders What Was God's Blood Type? They Don't Have An Answer !

Question ; Since EveryOne Came From Adam And Eve Who , According To Christian Doctrine , Were The First Human Beings . Then Why Doesn't EveryOne LQQk Exactly Alike ? When It SaysThat Eve Taken From His Rib , What Does That Mean ? The Rib Is What ? A Bone AndWhat Take Place In The Bones ? Bones Are Made Up Of Mineral - Filled Rings And Of Blood Vessels That Run Through Canals In Each Group Of Rings , And Blood Vessels Enter And Exit At Specific Points Along The Bone . The Bone In Animals Having A Back Bone Or Spinal Column / Vertebrates Is Also

Involved In Regulating The Concentration For Calcium Icons In The Blood . Creation Takes Place In Bones . What Do I Mean By Creation ? Inside Of The Bones . You Have Bone Marrows Which . Is Tissue Inside Of Your Bones That Is Responsible For The ProductionOf Blood Cells . The Bone Marrow Fills The Center And Spaces At Both Ends Of The Bones Where Growth Happen . In Infants , The Marrow Of The Bones Prodance Blood Cells , Whereas The Function Of Bone Marrow Changes Into Soring Fat As You Get Older . As Adults , Most Blood Cells Are Produced In The Marrow Of Flat Bones Such As The Sternum Or The Breast Bone , Which Is The Narrow Flat Bone In The Middle Line Of The Thorax In Front . The Breast Bone Is Composed Of Three Portions Called The Manubrium Which Is A Latin Word

Meaning '' Handle '' ( The Portion Of The Malleus LQQking Like A Handle .Xiphold Is From The Greek Words Xiphos Meaning '' Sword '' And Eidos , Meaning '' Process '' Or Ensiform From The Latin Word Ensis Meaning '' Sword '' Forma Meaning '' Form '' [ Sword Shaped Cartiaginous Process Supported By The Bone ; It Has No Ribs Attached To It ] . And The Gladiolus Process , From The Latin Word Gladiolus Meaning '' Little Sword '' ( The Femur Bone , A Long Bone In The Thigh , Show Which As Bone Marrow Compact Bone , Blood Vessels And Spongy Bone .Bone Marrow Is Responsible For The Production Of Blood Cells. And What Is In Blood ?First Of All . Blood Is The Only Liquid Tissue In

The Body . What Makes Blood A Liquid Is A Protenin - Rich Substance Called Plasma . , Which Makes Up Approximately 55 Percent Of Blood , While The Other 45 Percent Of Blood Is Made Up Of Red And White Blood Cells . And Platelets . Red Blood Cells Or Erythrocytes

[ From The Greek Words Leukos , Meaning '' White '' And Cyte Meaning '' Cell '' Carry Oxygen From The Lungs To All Cells Of The Body And It Also Carries Carbon Dioxide From Cells Back To The Lungs To Be Exhaled . WhiteBlood Cells Or Leukocytes [ From The Greek Word Leukos Meaning '' White '' , And Cyte Meaning '' Cell '' ] Also Called Microphages , Can Go In And Out Of Blood Vessels To Clean Up Worn-Out Or Dead Cells And Protect The Body Against Invading Bacteria , Viruses , Or Other Foreign Cells . Platelets Or Thrombocytes [ From The Greek Words

Leukos , Meaning '' White '' And Cyte Meaning '' Cell '' Which Are Fragment Of Cells Formed From Large White Blood Cells Within Bone Marrow , Are Needed For The Blood Clotting Process That Happen When Blood Bessels Are Injured . Red Blood Cells . White Blood Cells . Platelets ;.... Human Beings Are Constantly Creating Duplicates Of Themselves In The Form Of What Is Called Genes , Which Hold The Genetic Code For Your Exact Mak-Up . Genes Are Carriers Of Of The Genetic Information Passed On From Generation To Generation In TheSex Cells Of All Organisms . It Consists Of A Helix Structure Of Chain-Like Molecules Of Deoxyribonucleic Acids ( DNA ) In Most Organisms And Ribonucleic Acid ( RNA

In Certain Viruses And Is Usually Associated In A Linear Arrangement That Makes Up The Chromosome . Nucleic Acids . Are Long Chain-Like Molecules , Made Of Repeated Sequences Of Phosphate And Sugar Likeages-Ribose Sugar In RNA And Deoxyribose Sugars In DNA . Attached To The Sugar Like In The Backbone Are Two Kinds Of Purines ; Adenine ( A ) And Guanine ( G ) . And Two Kinds Of Pyrimdines Cytosine ( C ) Anduracil ( U ) In RNA . A Single Purine Or A Pyrimdine Is Attached To Each Sugar ; The Compound Being Called A Nucleotide . The Nuckeic Acids Extracted From Different Species Of Animals And Plants Have Different Proporytion Of The Four Nucleotide . Some Have More Adenine ( A ) And Thymine ( T ) , While Others Have More Guanine ( G ) And Cytosine ( C ) .

However , The Ratios Of A To '' T '' And Also G To C. Are Equal . How Does All Of This Tie In ? Inside Of The Bones , In The Marrow Of The Bone Blood Cells Are Produced . They Are A Whole Person Being Created Inside Of Yourself . Inside Of Your Bones Fresh Humans AreBeing Created And Old Ones Are Dying . Thus If According To The Bible Eve Was Taken From The Rib Or Bone Marrow Of Adam

Genesis 2 ; 21 - 22 And I Quote . And The Lord God Caused A Deep Sleep To Fall Upon Adam And He Slept ; And He Took One Of His Ribs , And Closed Up The Flesh Instead Therefore . And The Ribs Which The LORD God Had Taken From Man

Made He A Woman And Brought Her Unto Man .

Then Shouldn't She Have Been An Exact Duplicate Of Adam In Every Way ?