Goodbye Jesus

Interesting Point

Amelia

Hi Guys,

Some of you might already know my story and how I grew up in a strict home where physical and verbal abuse was dished out to me by my fundie pastor father, whilst my mother and brother just watched pathetically.

I've been reading a few posts here, and it's interesting isn't it? You hear about fundies who will go over the top trying to stop people having abortions, yet you also have some fundies also screaming from the rooftops that it's good to hit your kid to keep them on the right path. They'll even write books teaching parents how to be cruel to their kids in the name of 'god'.

Just a really interesting point I think. If only these extreme people had as much care for children as they do for the unborn.

Cheers,

Amelia

I think this is because fetuses are not "real" to them. They're potential they can shape any way they want in their imaginations. Little dreams, perfect little innocent angels who will one day come to earth and be pious and perfect, growing up to be the next Shakespear, Beethoven, President, Nobel Prize Winner, or scientist who cures cancer.

Then they are actually born and it turns out they are just normal grubby little children who scream, throw temper tantrums, get into trouble, and are generally annoying and disobedient.

People in general have a hard time seperating the dream of kids from the reality of kids, Fundies seems to do that on a schitzophrenic level.

It is an interesting point, and one would think that it would be natural to treat one's children well.

Except for one thing that I'm very aware that fundies think (having had been treated horribly in a very insane pentecostal foster home): before birth, the fetus is "innocent", simply a "perfect creation of God growing and developing in the mother's womb. Upon birth, the child is "tainted" with sin, and therefore must naturally be brought unto the "way of the righteous", and since the Proverbs in that disgusting book detail that one mustn't "spare the rod", and even down to the books of Law sealing a poor innocent's fate in the words of Deut. 21:18-21 (*paraphrase* if you have a rebellious son, take him outside the camp and stone him to death).

So what it sounds like is that the abusive fundy parents are simply trying to beat the sin out of us- for of course when one's spirit is broken, they will, in their tired desperation; obey nearly any command.

Congrats on making it out of that hell!

That was the cause of my whole family leaving the church. My aunt had a still born baby, she requested support from the church and to be allowed to bury the baby. The church refused saying "the child was never baptised and died with sin on its soul, we cannot bury him".

Talk about kicking the poor woman while she was down.

She managed to find another (protestant) church that helped her out. Everyone from my grand parents down left the church, some remain religious but no one remained Christian

I think this is because fetuses are not "real" to them. They're potential they can shape any way they want in their imaginations. Little dreams, perfect little innocent angels who will one day come to earth and be pious and perfect, growing up to be the next Shakespear, Beethoven, President, Nobel Prize Winner, or scientist who cures cancer.

Then they are actually born and it turns out they are just normal grubby little children who scream, throw temper tantrums, get into trouble, and are generally annoying and disobedient.

People in general have a hard time seperating the dream of kids from the reality of kids, Fundies seems to do that on a schitzophrenic level.

Good point. I think this, at least in part, stems from Christianity being a religion in which god is actually an idealized version of oneself. When god is a Marty Stu/Mary Sue (depending on gender), it leads to unrealistic expectations of perfection that human beings cannot possibly achieve. So when the fetus dies, it leads to the death of the perfectionistic dream. Hence why I think so many fundies get upset, although they will never admit it. If they really cared about innocents, they should go out on the streets in big cities and feed the homeless, or to other countries and feed the starving children there. But it's easier to protest abortions than it is to actually do something that will matter to someone who is actually living somewhere.

:ugh:

growing up to be the next Shakespear

Why would they want their kids to be the next Shakespeare? He had a not-so-good love life, and while he was a brilliant playwright, his plays were far from the good clean fun everyone seems to think they are... Penis jokes and sexual undertones EVERYWHERE, and some of his plays were quite political.

Why would they want their kids to be the next Shakespeare? He had a not-so-good love life, and while he was a brilliant playwright, his plays were far from the good clean fun everyone seems to think they are... Penis jokes and sexual undertones EVERYWHERE, and some of his plays were quite political.

We're talking about Fundamentalists here...you think many of them actually UNDERSTAND Shakespeare or maybe even know he wrote anything past Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, and MacBeth? :HaHa:

I mostly said it because people hear about him all the time and how he was supposed to be this incredible genius, but they don't even know his history or his work. People just like him because he's famous and "artsy" and makes you sound smart when you bring him up.