Goodbye Jesus

World Peace!

Ziggy

Ok 'world peace' maybe a bit sensationalist but consider that many believe that most wars have some religious foundation or motivation - its not so far off.

It is clear in the UK that politicians feel they have to urgently deal with religious division and its social implications. Specifically with Muslims who - they say - are marginalised and oppressed and in some cases the victims of violence. Non Muslims say Muslims are getting preferential treatment etc.

Anyway the politicians aim is religious tolerance - respect each other and learn to live in peace. Fair enough. But is that enough and can any religion just tolerate another belief system without at some point feeling the need to change it or challenge it?

Tolerance is not enough - the aim must be acceptance That anyone elses faith - or lack of it - is just as valid as your own as long as there is no adverse affect on human kind (ie no human sacrifices etc!!)

A university recently ran a series of lectures aiming at discussing religious acceptance. It had a Muslim slant due to the current climate here - but all major religions were represented

The idea was for each to present how their own religion could accept and live side by side other religions - not just tolerate them. I attended a couple of these lectures and the results were interesting. My main focus was Islam and Christianity and here is a very brief summary;

ISLAM - Islam was essentially NOT exclusivist. Islam stands for an awareness of God and existed way before Mohammed

Islams basic message is that God could send a messenger to any of the peoples of the world at any time. This includes Jesus Christ

So Mohammed is the final prophet etc ... but this does not mean to say other peoples had other messengers and all messengers are valid as a path to God. So Muslims could accept that Christians are faith people like them with a different messenger - a way of thinking from a Muslim view that can accept other faiths

CHRISTIANITY - A german Christian from Berlin spoke and was involved in running interfaith meetings and prayer schools etc and he tried to form a christian view of religious acceptance. But his view was not as clear as the Muslim view and the basic sticking point was Christ and the cross etc. Christ was not just a messenger / prophet He was / is the Son of God Bit of a difference!

To reinforce this sticking point after his speach a local church minister stood up and really laid into this guy claiming that he was not really a Christian ..

So my thought at the end of it was this - For world peace Religious Tolerance must be replaced by Religious Acceptance.

Muslims have made a fair presentation of how their faith can encorporate that

Christianity has more difficulty - The central message is that Christ is THE way to God and anything outside of that is sinking sand and so Christians cannot accept fully another faith

Is it possible to have a Christian view that also accepts another beliefs / non beliefs not just tolerating them? And if so how does it handle Christ?

I am asking this question at various place - I know and ex christian board is not the most obvious place to seek answer to this sort of question but i know there are some quality thinkers here so here it is! :thanks:

I think it involves redefining their view of what Christ means.

In the Fifth Century B.C., classical Greek authors wrote of the lonely Chréstos travelers, journeying on the path of spiritual truth to reach the ultimate goal Christos, the glorified spirit of Truth, the reunion that makes the Soul (Son) one with the Father (Light).1 This regeneration (resurrection) can never be monopolized by the Christians but is the spiritual birthright of every human being, whatever his religion may be. Such an individual is a Christ.

The Apostle Paul stated, "I am again in travail until Christ be formed in you." (Gal 4:19 RSV) This means "until you find the Christos within yourself as your only way."

Jesus stated, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, he that believeth on me [the Christos] the works that I do shall he do also and greater works than these shall he do, because I go unto my Father." (John 14:12 KJV)

Yeah...that might work. But, it will never happen. They can't 'own' Jesus in this sense.

Maybe it's not so much redefining as rediscovering what Jesus actually taught.

From here: http://www.jena.org/universe/christ.asp I don't even know what Jena is yet, but that page caught my eye. :) Aaaahhh...Universalism with a little Theosophy and a touch of Religious Science from a Christian perspective. Also, a little new agey. Hmmm...interesting.

So my thought at the end of it was this - For world peace Religious Tolerance must be replaced by Religious Acceptance.

Muslims have made a fair presentation of how their faith can encorporate that

Christianity has more difficulty - The central message is that Christ is THE way to God and anything outside of that is sinking sand and so Christians cannot accept fully another faith

Is it possible to have a Christian view that also accepts another beliefs / non beliefs not just tolerating them? And if so how does it handle Christ?

I am asking this question at various place - I know and ex christian board is not the most obvious place to seek answer to this sort of question but i know there are some quality thinkers here so here it is! :thanks:

The only way acceptance will occur is for all of them to acknowledge that none of them hold any sort of exclusive revealed truth. However their faith is built on the belief they are the true incarnation of religion, even the Muslims. If they were to announce that other religions are equally as valid as the next that would undermine the foundations of their religions for the average person. And that is the tricky balance that educated religious leaders face, teaching tolerance of other faith while promoting theirs as the true one. They seem to be mutually exclusive goals.

My solution is simple, educate the lay person. Tell them the truth. Let them confront the void of ultimate meaninglessness of existence. Then take them by the hand and build on them making personal meaning in their lives in the face of this Absurdity. That is afterall what all religions do, why all religions came to be.

To me it makes more sense for people to face that ultimate truth, face their personal crisis that follows, and then build meaning for themselves with their eyes wide open, rather than glazed over with the propaganda of religious opiates.

A little too much truth? Which is better? Equality or war?

BTW, Nice to see you again Ziggy.

Not blinded - Interesting quote I'll read up on Jena and respond later - thanks

Hi Antlerman :grin: I know mainstream Islam may not agree with what the Muslims I heard say.. but at least they were standing as Muslims and giving a view that did not claim the one truth. The Christian view was less able to do that

I fully understand people here will have their views on what should happen - ie throw out all religion - but in reality it will not go away in the short term anyway Actually I believe it never will either People will always be looking for something other than the material

So the big question for Christians today is can they make their faith fit with the world and live side by side equally with all others Or will they always need to a have a them and us scenario - with everyone who is not a christian being outside their circle

I expect and hope for a response from OM of course if she is still around And maybe some other Christians there are any

Hope you are keeping well BTW did you get married?!?