Goodbye Jesus

Religion = Abusive Relationship?

roknrolr

I found an article on how to recognize the signs that you or a friend may be in an abusive relationship. I found it stunning how many of the signs apply to religious zealots. I found this article at

http://kidshealth.org/college/your_mind/re...hips/abuse.html

Signs of Abuse

It's not always easy to identify an abusive relationship. Sometimes abuse may be mistaken for intense feelings or concern. Sometimes it can even seem flattering. Think of a friend whose boyfriend or girlfriend is incredibly jealous. Maybe you've thought: "He must really care about her." But excessive jealousy and controlling behavior are not signs of affection. Rather, they demonstrate that something is wrong.

Don't ignore indicators that you may be involved in an abusive relationship. Putting up with poor treatment and hoping things will improve won't change your partner's behavior. In fact, sometimes people who start out as controlling and overly jealous may progress to more abusive behavior. Seek help if you notice signs of abusive behavior, including:

harming you physically in any way, including slapping, pushing, grabbing, shaking, hitting, kicking, and punching

trying to control different aspects of your life, such as how you dress, who you socialize with, what classes you take, and what you say

forcing you into sexual intercourse or sexual acts against your will

frequently humiliating you or making you feel unworthy; the abuser may put you down but tell you that he or she loves you

coercing or threatening to harm you if you leave the relationship

constantly accusing you of being unfaithful

twisting the truth to make you feel you are to blame for the abuser's actions

demanding to know where you are at all times

limiting your contact with family and friends

becoming jealous or angry when you want to spend time with anyone else

justifying these actions by saying he or she loves you so much

In general, any type of physical, sexual, or emotional threat or harm is a red flag. Phrases like "If you loved me, you would . . . " should also warn you of possible abuse. Statements like this are emotional blackmail. And if you find yourself changing your behavior in an effort not to anger your partner, you may be in an abusive relationship. Above all, trust your intuition. If it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't.

Coincidence? I think not.

Já, I'm of the same mind on the subject. Whenever someone starts making excuses for someone else's bad behaviour, there's something profoundly unhealthy and psychologically dangerous going on.

Puts the word "apologist" in a whole new light, n'est-ce pas?