Goodbye Jesus

Christian Forums?

Megara

I know a bunch of Christians come here (ex-christian.net). I'm curious. Do any of you ever go to any Christian forums? I can't say I ever have. :shrug:

I did for awhile. I finally quit recently when I just got too disgusted with the outright idiocy. It's like the Xians there aren't even trying to use their heads.

I joined CF back in 2004 when I was a Christian. Throughout 2005 to early 2006, I continued posting there while remaining brainwashed by that cult of idiots.

The last action I took was changing my "faith" icon to Atheist and that was a few months ago. I have no need or intention of returning. That place has accumulated tons of delusional nuts and I find that arguing with bigots will get me nowhere.

I signed up a long time ago, but made few posts. I haven't posted in ages, but I still like to read some of the threads in the debate section of the forum. Sometimes I like to laugh at idiocy. :D And I'm a loser.

I signed up there five years ago, when I myself was a fundi...but I only posted 12 times. A few months ago, I went back (a little after I came here, actually) and didn't stay. It's very cluttered over there -- so many forums, so many graphics getting in the way. I did like the little faith icons, though.

I went on undercover as a christian when I was doing a paper for Anthro a while back, and ended up getting so sick of it that I made a public declaration of a deconversion - never have had more church invitations in my life!

Stopped using it, and I'm quite happy. I agree, it's quite messy and unorganized.

I visit them once every 4-8 months or so to see what they are up do. After about a minute of browsing the topics, I find that reading the posts of so many people people who take that fiction as depressing and somewhat hopeless.

I find that that arguing anything that deals with interpretation of the bible to be futile. Christians are very creative at interpreting the text of the bible to make it fit their misunderstanding, regardless of what it actually says. I prefer to debate the historical facts of the bible, since it is much harder for them to obscure the facts, although they are still good at it by ignoring more reliable information. I am referring to the lack of evidence that Jesus was a real person by bringing up the facts that we have no secular or religious documentation from before 30 years after Jesus' supposed death and that the undisputed Pauline Epistles do not mention that any places, people, or events documented in history that Jesus is associated with. Paul does talk about the cross but never gives any place or persons besides Jesus connected with that event. I usually throw out the theory that Paul's interpretation of Jesus was the root of the Gospels which incorporated Paul's sources, old testament stuff, pagan stuff, and placed Jesus in a fabricated historical setting. I then point out that by using Occam's razor, this theory is more likely to be accurate. But doing this so many times in a row gets tiresome, especially as Christians tend to avoid digging into the details that support this theory.

So, I just visit the Christian forums for a minute, remember how futile it is, and then think it would be better for me to wait for them to come to this site to debate. Christians that come to this site (vs. the ones on Christian forums of course) tend to put a little more effort into unbiased research, but as always, there are exceptions. Because most people on those sites tend to be not open for seriously discussing what I talked about in the above paragraph using unbiased and more reliable sources, which I think is the most effective deconversion tool, I wait for them to come here.

I found this old topic, which deals with the the topic of how Christians should not debate with nonbelievers, which makes it even more futile to debate with a Christian (that is, those who hold that belief). So why visit when the probably of having a decent conversion is low? Maybe it is the enjoyment of looking at a train wreck effect.

http://www.ex-christian.net/index.php?showtopic=2572

I suppose it may be productive to post this for people who still distrust The Theory (or imperfect fact, for those who do not know what scientific theory means) of Evolution:

http://www.ex-christian.net/index.php?show...c=13118&hl=

Maybe here and/or here.

There have been several times during the course of leaving Christianity that browsed over at CF and ever asked a few questions. Without fail it just reinforces that leaving Christianity was the right decision.

CF is difficult to navigate and it is messy and unorganised. I'll lurk on other (smaller) Christian boards when I need a good laugh.

I look at the dreaded RR-BB otherwise known as Rapture Ready boards when I need a laugh. Surprisingly they are also a good way to get news stories, although the foolishness with which they interpret these stories is sad. There is one about the IDF making a small robotic bug that will track and kilkl militants and some seem to think that is biblical... :Doh:

I'll lurk on other (smaller) Christian boards when I need a good laugh.

I suppose that sums up why I sometimes visit those places. I think I am going there for a good laugh, but I end up leaving in bewilderment. So little or no :grin:, a little :ugh:, mostly :twitch:, and sometimes a :eek:.

This may sound crazy but I have a Christian friend who knows of my deconversion and has been really good about it. He has decided he wants to start a Christian forum. I told him that if he wants a popular one, put together a forum that is Chrisitan but does not shy away from tough questions and is willing to allow questions and topics no other Christian forums will. He said he is strongly considering it and even allowing some nonchristian moderators. I will admit he is kind of a maverick among most Christians. I suspect he is kind of on the edge of deconversion. If he does put it together, I will let you know.

Interesting. I looked over the rules at Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry and they are obsessively restrictive. I do not see how you can call anything research if you are going to disallow diverse sources or even restrict the number of links you can post and completely disallow anti-Christian links. Research is research, even if it supports your belief or not. In fact, belief is not supposed to enter into legitimate research at all. A more accurate title would be Christian Apologetics and Propaganda Ministry or Christian Apologetics and Illegitimate Research Ministry, a thinly veiled attempt at preaching the fictional news.

I welcome a more diverse forum, even if it is run by Christians.

The problem with christian forums is that you are only most welcome if you AGREE. You start debating, even slightly and you can find yourself banned or put on babysitter mode. :twitch:

^ Yes, all the more reason why that place sucks. They'd much rather debate with each other as Christians.

I have a current CF membership but its frustrating because they won't allow me to post to most of the topics because I said i was a seeker rather than believer I found i could never really ask a serious question to those I wanted answer from .. only from those like myself who were not fundy's

Burnedout - I would be interested if your friend ever got that site going

I lurked on CF for a brief bit (less than one day). Never bothered with membership. I find it funny to watch them argue with each other in much the same way they come here to argue with us.

I love the irony. Here ther is a higher diversity of beliefs, yet considerably less in-fighting here than there is among all the "fellow christians". :Doh:

Actually, I DO go to a Christian forum daily, I just remembered it. I joined five years ago, when I was a fundy and in the UPCI. There's a forum called GodPlace for UPCI members, and I still go by there. The amusing thing is I post there more often now that I'm out; now that my brain is working, I'm no longer timid to speak my mind about issues. I don't argue against the existance of God or whatever; I just say what I think when they ask a question about particular issues, like Hell.

• 1 month later...
I know a bunch of Christians come here (ex-christian.net). I'm curious. Do any of you ever go to any Christian forums? I can't say I ever have. :shrug:

I used too, and it used to be a great source of amusement for me because I used to like debating Christians. However every single one I have gotten utterly disgusted with because of the admins and moderators, they will ban a non-Christian who simply disagrees with their religion over banning some godmonger who posts obscene threats and slurs.

There is one I go to that I have been thrown off of more than once. I just change my yahoo email address and go on. Since I have more than one computer and I have more than one IP# and more than one IS, I can change my info and get right back on. I start out very inocuous and slowly get more controversial. I have found that if you start out inocuous and personable and mostly agreeing with them, it is easy to stay on for months and slip some reason in and even start to cause some people to think but YOU MUST BE SUBTLE AND PERSONABLE....;)....Then....let the fun begin.... :wicked:

:HaHa: That's fantastic!

I did for awhile. I finally quit recently when I just got too disgusted with the outright idiocy. It's like the Xians there aren't even trying to use their heads.

Actually, the scary thing is that much of them do. It's scary how much intellect one can put forth to validate a dellusion...

I never felt the need to go and bitch with Xians about shit I know they won't want to hear. Then again, the sooner humanity is rid of this wacko cult, the better, so perhaps it's a good thing that some people go there and try to sow those seeds of doubt. I know Asimov used to do it often, at least, and it can be a good way to help hone debating skills as well as reinforce one's own anti-Xian stance.

Perhaps someday, but I don't care to at present, and I get all the honing I require right hyah :)