Goodbye Jesus

Conundrum Or Dilema

mick

Since I have been deconverted, I had thought that I stopped thinking of the world as "Christian" and "Non Christian". I had stopped thinking that the world was one segment of God' chosen, filled with the Spirit, and the other of the Devil, unable to know the things of God.

This kind of thinking was always something that actually made me sick, even as a Christian. I knew some atheists that were better people than me.

However, I had thought that I would simply love people for who they are.

The problem I am now running into, is the intense disdain I have for the things of CHristianity. To be consistent I must not think poorly of them for what they believe? However, I am so angry about having lost 17 years to this religious cult-like religion. I find it hard to respect someone who would actively defend the attrocities of the OT. I find it hard to respect people who think everyone who does not believe what they do DESERVE to go to hell.

It is a hard issue. It is clear to me if Christianity and Islam vanished somehow completely in a couple of generations the world would be a much better place for the future. Most people we run into in Amerca are some kind of Christian, even if they are in name only through their family ties or whatever.

I'm not making alot of sense here. I guess what I am feeling is that my intense disdain for Christianity has me still dividing the world into 'us' and 'them', just in the opposite way. What do you guys think?

I think that is an insightful observation... one of the main reasons I live and let live.... unless of course the Chrtistian Right.

Dualistic thinking is (IMHO) part of the western way of thinking. It's reinforced not only in the 3 major western religions, but through western science as well, (gas/liquid, liquid/solid etc.) There's a good essay by Isaac Bonewits about non-dualistic thinking. It still has a religous POV (Pagan), but it explains how to develop other modes of looking at the world.

If you are of no religious persuasion any longer, I still think the article might make some sense to you and you can incorporate that kind of method into whatever belief system or lack thereof you have.

Hope this helps.

"Most people are not rational, they are TRIBAL: "my gang yay, your gang boo!" It really is that simple. The rest is cosmetics." Gary Brecher

Brecher is a bit simplistic here it is a little more complicated than this. However, tribal instincts are embedded in all of us -- even the rational ones. Cut yourself a little slack for being human and get out of the religious rut of "I must make myself better or horrible things will happen."

And read this.

i think you should keep in mind that they're trying to live a good life just like you are-they're just on a very very confused and misled path.

its easy and justified to get mad when they try and tell you you're wrong and try to convert you, but i think if they are being tolerant fo your religion choice, then the tolerance should be given back. but this tolerance isn't common. so...whenever they try and convert you, u should just tell them your stance and leave it at that.

I think it's very understandable to feel that way after the cult has wrought its worst.

I'd probably approach this like most things, having learned that the world is not black and white: clearly the world would be a better place if the religion disappeared, as you noted. Nevertheless, on an individual bases, those classified as Christians range the gamut from flaming diehard fundamentalists hellbent on bringing the rest of the world down with them, to moderate xians, liberal xians, STBCs (supposed to be Christians), doubters, and those who mold their own beliefs counter to the prevailing theology. They include good people, bad people, somewhat decent but slightly shady people, well intentioned people, hypocrites, and people actively using religion/Christianity as a manipulative tool for their own ends. I know there are a lot of people who have been fortunate enough not to be burned, and therefore would not understand a disdain for Christianity.

So rather than try to think in terms of xian vs. non-xian, for all practical purposes I prefer to decide what I think based on individual merits. If someone hits me with fire and brimstone and tries to force me or others to live by their rules because they think they have a handle on the Ultimate Truth ™, then I have a problem with it. If the person has beliefs, yet does not behave obnoxiously, we'll hit it off just fine.

Same applies to groups. My disdain for hard core fundy groups and the religious right knows no bounds. The laid back types, where I may not share their beliefs, I'll generally have no beef with.

Guest kiwifree

I know what you mean by them dividing the world up between them and us. I can't stand all the labels they use .... believer / unbeliever, christian / nonchristian, backslider, etc etc. They don't realise they're doing it 'cose when they use these labels they are in a group - safety in numbers!

How does one or does one every totally get over that 'disdain for things of Christianity' you mention???