Goodbye Jesus

Did you have haunting, creepy experiences?

scotter

Did you ever have creepy experiences to the supernatural realm? Please share with us your stories.

Or you may not be sure about what it was, please tell us nevertheless.

Even you did not have, perhaps you heard stories and experiences from your friends? Relatives?

If you like to add more comments to your experience from your atheist perspective, please feel free to do so.

I like to learn more from your comments, because being atheist means you don’t believe in God nor ghosts.

There are always exceptions, perhaps you believe in ghosts but not God, that makes this thread more interesting.

For Christians, I presume you might attribute it to Satan, that’s fine. Please tell us more.

This is less a thread of debate and more atheist perspectives on creepy things. The past week has been plain, so I think of doing this thread and I hope you join in to make it a creepy-fun weekend.

More threads coming beyond Sunday, perhaps we make it a creepy-fun week!

---

Start with me:

I had experiences that I was lifted up in the middle of thin air when I was sleeping, more than once. Like those in the old magic show, the magic assistant was hynotized and floated up and the magician used a big hula loop to scan through the assistant to “prove” his magic.

This hasn’t happened lately. But up to now I still am not sure if it was a dream or for real. It FELT so real. I could even feel that my blanket was falling off and down because of the gravitational pull. I thought I could see the ceiling, but I could not turn my head.

I woke up, and I was lying flat in bed alright.

:phew:

Thanks to everyone in advance.

Saw an aura once. Not sure if that was what it was, but it freaked me out totally because I did not recognize the person I was looking at -- he looked like someone completely different. (The person I knew was Caucasian...the guy I saw looked Afrian American and was wearing some sort of overalls and a white shirt, nothing like what the person I knew was wearing). He also had a glowing red light around him, which was why I thouht it might have been an aura.

No, I was not doing drugs, smoking, or drinking at the time. I don't have any history of mental illness, and neither does anyone in my family, as far as I know. I didn't say anything, just quietly left the room, but it was probably clear that I was freaked out about something.

Maybe it was a waking dream? I had been putting coffee into a coffee pot, and I remember looking around to see if there were any weird lights that might have produced it, but there weren't any. I remember taking off my glasses briefly to see if there was any difference. There wasn't.

This is why I can't completely disbelieve in the supernatural. I don't know what it was, and I'm not sure I want to.

I like to learn more from your comments, because being atheist means you don’t believe in God nor ghosts.

You've been here for almost an entire month. If you really did like to learn from our comments, then somehow, the fact that we're not all atheists seems to have eluded you. :scratch:

And yes, there are theists who believe in god and ghost.

Also, there are theists who do not believe in ghosts.

---

Start with me:

I had experiences that I was lifted up in the middle of thin air when I was sleeping, more than once. Like those in the old magic show, the magic assistant was hynotized and floated up and the magician used a big hula loop to scan through the assistant to “prove” his magic.

This hasn’t happened lately. But up to now I still am not sure if it was a dream or for real. It FELT so real. I could even feel that my blanket was falling off and down because of the gravitational pull. I thought I could see the ceiling, but I could not turn my head. 

Have a look around for information on sleep paralysis. The imagination is a powerful thing. I certainly remember a time when I really felt as though I was bouncing high enough off my bed to hit the roof, and I could not move.

I once saw a convience store get up on pigs feet and run back from the road a bit sort of tippy toe like. Another time I was in a record store (do I need to explain that to the youngsters?) and the albums I was picking up melted in my hands. I was kind of worried that the clerk would have me arrested for destroying so many of his records, but he didn't seem to mind.

Of course I was under the spiritual influence of LSD at the time.

my creepiest spiritual experiences have been in church.  Seeing all the shouting and screaming and rolling around in the floor, falling down in the floor, acting drunk, speaking in tongues, etc.  How much scarier can it get?  I always felt pretty anxious in church.  If anything truly spiritual was going on, I don't think it was from a good source.

I will never forget the first time that I attended one of these churches. :twitch:

I was raised Catholic, so you can probably understand my reaction. :Hmm:

"Oh Heavenly Father, please tell me what the fuck is going on here. Amen."

Sounds cool.. Pinned for weekend so it doesn't get pushed off..

IMO Sounds like you had a bout of sleep paralysis. When in REM sleep your body's paralyzed, although your Conscious is awake, (You remember everything vividly and clearly) You're still in REM Stage. depending on how active your dreams are and imagination, This can be extremely scary, Happens to me, As I said In another post before I was always told it was demons attacking me, Until I grew up and found out what the real cause is, When it happens now, I don't get freaked and don't fight it... I tell myself what's happening and go back to sleep and wake up right.

Have a look around for information on sleep paralysis.  The imagination is a powerful thing.  I certainly remember a time when I really felt as though I was bouncing high enough off my bed to hit the roof, and I could not move.

Arug, :Doh: I should have read the comments first before I made my comment, I gave the same answer, sounds like that's what it was to me too....

IMO Sounds like you had a bout of sleep paralysis.  When in REM sleep your body's paralyzed, although your Conscious is awake, (You remember everything vividly and clearly) You're still in REM Stage. depending on how active your dreams are and imagination, This can be extremely scary, Happens to me, As I said In another post before I was always told it was demons attacking me, Until I grew up and found out what the real cause is, When it happens now, I don't get freaked and don't fight it... I tell myself what's happening and go back to sleep and wake up right.

Yep! I have had those experiences as well. When I learned about sleep paralysis, I was relieved. I hated being told that I was seeing ghosts or that demons were attacking me.

My dreams went like this: (they were more terrors) I would find myself completely unable to move, like "locked in syndrome," and all I could see was a couple of black man shaped figures floating around looking at me. As soon as I could move when my body woke up, they disappeared. I remember that exact instant. It was creepy thinking demons and ghosts were after me, but now when I have similar dreams I don't get so scared.

Guest JP1283

A few months ago (I think it was February) I noticed that I saw 11:11 on the clock whenever I looked at it. I was always looking at the clock at 11:11. So I googled "11:11" and found a web forum with people who also were experiencing the phenomenon. They said that after they started seeing "11:11" they saw 222, 333, 444, and so on. The night that I read that, I was awaken by my cell phone battery beeping because it was dying. Guess what time it was? 2:22 AM. Scared the shit out of me.

This girl who I dated and who dissed the crap out of me....We were both Christian

I was really hurt. She was not. Thats a whole nother story...That bug is still somewhere up my ass.

Anyways....my friend that I met her through and I were going to play basketball on campus.

She was mean to me earlier that day in front of him and others. Calling me gay and scary basically for giving my friend (the same one) a grundy. She was not being nice or funny bout it at all. This is one summer removed from being dissed by her. It hurt my feelings again that she would talk that crap unprovoked.

Then my friend and I are on our way to play bball. She comes walking down the sidewalk. Grabs my friend. Hugs him and wont let him go. Saying "dont go or you'll get hurt. don't go. don't go. you'll get hurt." on and on

She didnt say jack to me. I interrupted this hug by saying "come on. lets go."

He came with me. And he hurt his knee really badly while we were playing.

Weird as hell. One of the most uncomfortable things for me to think about ever.

On the surface it has this "GiantBear is the devil and this girl is God's fave" sort of feel. I'm pretty sure that is how she saw it.

But if my friend woulda broke his word to me and not played bball with me all bcuz of a girl who was mean to me right in front of him earlier that day.....

then I might not have been his friend for long. Now we're best friends. And it is one of our favorite stories. This ended on a Chicken Soup for the Soul note. Wasn't planning it that way, but Chicken Soup is cool.

between the ages of 10 and 12 I went thru a sleepwalking phase, my parents called the pastor and elders over to cast demons out of me.

I rememeber all their hands on my head pushing me further down as the prayers went on for I dont know, 10 or 20 minutes, all I did was cry

, the sleep walking never stopped until one day my father, who was so pissed off I woke him up in the middle of the night ( or maybe I had interprupted his fingerfucking my sister, I am not sure because I had no memory of sleepwalking).

I was sleeping , he took ahold of both my ears lifted me up out of bed and dragged me down the stairs and beat me with a bread board.

for the next few months I would pile things in front of my door , which worked because then I would wake up after not being able to open the door.

Any way, thanks to the depossession I had satanic nightmares most every night for 15 years until I deconverted, now they are gone.,

being the idiot that I am I would use my sleepwalking experience as my christian testimony on how I was delivered. as the years went by, the testimony became more fiction that fact, and it grew into a bizarre story. I never realized this until after I deconverted I realized I stretched the testimony into some bizzare horror movie

which reminds me, I have an autographed Bob Larsen book I am selling to the highest bidder. PM me if your interested.

Come to find out sleep walking is very common for prepubecent males this age.

Jeez. To abuse a kid because he sleepwalks makes absolutely no frickin' sense to me. Stupid fundies. When will they learn that things like that are not caused by demons? The rest of the world learned that ages ago.

While I definitley do not believe in a god or any sort of diety for that amtter, I have always held a strong belief in ghosts and spirits.

I enjoy hearing about the supernatural experiences of other people, I have only had one such experience.

I was walking along a road out in the countryside one afternoon with my uncle and cousins. I was walking behind the group when all of a sudden i felt a sudden pat on my back, as if someone were behind me.

I looked around, but there was no one in sight. it couldnt have been one of my cousins, since they were ahead of me and there wouldnt have been time for someone to run up behind me and then hide (no place to) and there was nothing on my shirt.

I didnt say anything, but after walking a while longer my uncle commented that many fatal car accidents had happened along the road.

creeped me out big time.

'Glad to hear my experience's explanation.

And thrilled, flattered that my thread is pinned.

---

About 11:11, I heard of it also. Here is a group devoted to 11:11

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/11-11/

I am merely pointing out there is a group. I myself have no comments in this 11:11 thing. Some New Agers include 11:11 as a New Age thing.

my creepiest spiritual experiences have been in church.  Seeing all the shouting and screaming and rolling around in the floor, falling down in the floor, acting drunk, speaking in tongues, etc.  How much scarier can it get?  I always felt pretty anxious in church.  If anything truly spiritual was going on, I don't think it was from a good source.

You actually saw that stuff? Scary....

I'd run away, too. :woohoo:

I had a couple of creepy experiences at the various homes my family has owned and/or used.

My family has a cabin/shack on a local body of water that has a long and checkered history. It started life as a three-car garage, which was used by rum-runners during Prohibition. Later on in the 1920's, the property was purchased by an architecture professor who had his graduating students change the place from a garage into a summer home. Consequently it's a cabin built by architecture students, not contractors. :Doh: It's got some awesome architectural details, like railings made of madrona branches and way cool old fixtures. On the other hand there's not a single square corner in the place. Go figure.

And it's haunted. When I was a kid I used to see things in the back hallway that weren't supposed to be there. I used to see the shadows of figures, which I figured could be mine, other than that they were cast in the wrong direction to be my own shadow. Once I saw this white flitty thing flutter down the hallway. To this day I figure that it was probably actually a moth, though I do find it a bit odd that once we turned the light on, nobody could find any moths... :Hmm:

Recently I had a number of people in the shack. I let them know that it had a haunted area, but I didn't tell them where. I wanted them to see the shack first and see if anyone could figure out what area of the house was active. Oddly enough everybody picked the back hallway, or the doorway to the bedroom (which is in the back hallway). Sensing energy? Maybe. Weird coincidence? Maybe that, too. I don't really know. Whatever's in there doesn't feel like an entity or "ghost" to me. It feels more like an accumulation of energy, for lack of a better description.

The last house I lived in was haunted too. The basement was the active area. I'd be upstairs and hear people moving around downstairs when I knew I was alone in the house (and had the burglar alarm set to go off if anybody broke in down there), or I'd hear faint voices. Once I heard somebody cough. Plus there were a couple of areas in the basement that just had this heavy sort of feeling to them. At that house, a couple of other friends were able to tell that the basement was occupied, but they differed on where they felt whatever it was.

I don't know what creepy stuff like this really is - my mind playing tricks on me, whatever - but whatever it is, being pagan I don't actually see it as supernatural. Everything exists in nature, even ghosts or apparitions or discarnate entities.

Anyhoo, sorry this is so long. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :)

Holy cow !!!...  :lmao: I happend to read this message at exactly 11:11:  :lmao:

'

But it says 10:12 my time, so it doesn't count. ;)

You actually saw that stuff?  Scary....

I'd run away, too.  :woohoo:

Not at all ashamed to admit I would run too.

Merlin

I had a couple of creepy experiences at the various homes my family has owned and/or used.

My family has a cabin/shack on a local body of water that has a long and checkered history. It started life as a three-car garage, which was used by rum-runners during Prohibition. Later on in the 1920's, the property was purchased by an architecture professor who had his graduating students change the place from a garage into a summer home. Consequently it's a cabin built by architecture students, not contractors.  :Doh: It's got some awesome architectural details, like railings made of madrona branches and way cool old fixtures. On the other hand there's not a single square corner in the place. Go figure.

And it's haunted. When I was a kid I used to see things in the back hallway that weren't supposed to be there. I used to see the shadows of figures, which I figured could be mine, other than that they were cast in the wrong direction to be my own shadow. Once I saw this white flitty thing flutter down the hallway. To this day I figure that it was probably actually a moth, though I do find it a bit odd that once we turned the light on, nobody could find any moths...  :Hmm:

Recently I had a number of people in the shack. I let them know that it had a haunted area, but I didn't tell them where. I wanted them to see the shack first and see if anyone could figure out what area of the house was active. Oddly enough everybody picked the back hallway, or the doorway to the bedroom (which is in the back hallway). Sensing energy? Maybe. Weird coincidence? Maybe that, too. I don't really know. Whatever's in there doesn't feel like an entity or "ghost" to me. It feels more like an accumulation of energy, for lack of a better description.

The last house I lived in was haunted too. The basement was the active area. I'd be upstairs and hear people moving around downstairs when I knew I was alone in the house (and had the burglar alarm set to go off if anybody broke in down there), or I'd hear faint voices. Once I heard somebody cough. Plus there were a couple of areas in the basement that just had this heavy sort of feeling to them. At that house, a couple of other friends were able to tell that the basement was occupied, but they differed on where they felt whatever it was.

I don't know what creepy stuff like this really is - my mind playing tricks on me, whatever - but whatever it is, being pagan I don't actually see it as supernatural. Everything exists in nature, even ghosts or apparitions or discarnate entities.

Anyhoo, sorry this is so long. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :)

Here's something interesting I've read about haunted houses:

Low frequency standing waves

Sounds plausible for your situations.

Guest bad_one

Any way, thanks to the depossession I had satanic nightmares most every night for 15 years until I deconverted, now they are gone.,

----------

Wow I had nightmares about demon possession too. My parents took me to see Jimmy Swaggart. During his sermon he told a story about one of his friends on his death bed. Jimmy was trying to convert him before his friend died. Then he said he fell asleep and dreamed the guy died and a demon ripped out his soul out of the guys mouth and dragged him into hell. Jimmy said a scream woke him up and the friend was dead. Mind you I was only 8 when I heard that. :twitch:

I had nightmares every night and started to have panic attacks. I would dream that demons were trying to posess me. They would pop outta closets and kitchen cabinents. Then the nightmares got so bad I started sleep walking and breaking out into hives.

That is about the creepiest experience I had.

I was one of the ones screaming, rolling, falling, acting drunk, speaking tongues. I was one of those scary guys!

BUH! (scared now? :) )

Hmm...I remember being freaked out by shadows and noises and such, but always in a way that could be justified in the light of day. Mostly I get scared when I am either on my own or isolated in some way from trusted people. And horror flicks. Those freak me out too.

The only unexplained event happened when I was in grade twelve. I was studying for my exams up in my bedroom. I had all my books and notes spread out over my bed so I could read them, my desk being occupied by all kinds of junk. I had been studying for a few hours when I got this strange feeling, like I needed to get off the bed. So I did, and then a few seconds after I stood up, the wooden ledge over my bed, with all my glass water globes, trinkets, statuette, porcelain junk, it all came crashing down right where I would have been sitting.

I probably wouldn't have died, but I would have been hurt. There was a lot of glass.

Guest JP1283

Back in March of 2001, my mom and I were flying from Seattle to Reno because my nephew had just been born. When we were waiting for our flight, I turned to my mom and said that I had a weird feeling about the flight and didn't feel comfortable getting on. About fifteen minutes into the flight, the captain comes on overhead and says that he's turning the flight around because he smells fumes in the cockpit. Scared the hell out of everybody. When our plane landed, there were fire dept. trucks and newscrews everywhere. Then the dicks wouldn't let us off the plane for like two hours! But it was a weird experience.