Goodbye Jesus

Southern Baptists

Guest dexys midnight runner

I'm interested if anyone else deconverted from a southern baptist denomination. I'm going through mine now but haven't told any of my friends from church. I still go to make peace with my wife's family. It's getting harder to go and listen to the same old crap. I don't know how much longer I can do this...

I think there are several from SBC churches. I was licensed to preach in one (First Baptist Jacksonville) but went to independent baptist bible college and a non-sanctioned SB seminary - Mid-America in Memphis, TN. My studies of the Bible led me to a more Calvinistic view of the scriptures taking me to a PCA church. Further in-depth bible study led me to where I am today: Agnostic/Atheist.

The journey you are about to embark will be a tumultuous one so prepare yourself. Whatever heartaches you may encounter along the way will, however, be worth the price down the road. The peace that comes with trusting your mind and reason far outweighs the false peace derived from worshipping something that doesn't exist. The peace that comes from working out your own struggles as opposed to waiting on answers to prayers that went nowhere is indescibable.

Welcome to the journey!

Contact me if you want to talk on an individual basis.

I was batpized in an American Baptist church, moved to another ABA, and then started visiting a SBC church right as I decided it was bunk.

Welcome to the forums Dexys.

I deconverted in my mid to late teens. At the time I attended a Southern Baptist Church, which was and is the denomination of my parents.

Again, welcome. I hope that your deconversion, if it does turn out to be that, goes relatively smoothly. If you get a chance maybe you'll tell us why you are having difficulties in suspending your disbelief.

I'm interested if anyone else deconverted from a southern baptist denomination. I'm going through mine now but haven't told any of my friends from church. I still go to make peace with my wife's family. It's getting harder to go and listen to the same old crap. I don't know how much longer I can do this...

I know just how you feel. I was an SB, my beliefs started to go down, one by one, until I found that going to church was just a waste of time on sunday mornings. Sooner or later, you'll probably want to make the break and reclaim your time on sundays for yourself.

Interesting about the SB's. I've been out for forty years now, so I've lost touch, and I've read somewhere where the SB's have changed in response to the takeover of the SBC by even more hardline fundies, and that they've gone more to the evangelical right. Is that so?

Thanks everyone. It's been an exhaustive and painful process to go through as I have been raised in a SBC church my whole life. Church has been a part of my life for so long and I have many friends still there. My wife suspects I'm losing my faith but she prefers to not talk about it. She is still very involved as are my kids and I don't want to get in the way of that. For now, I will continue to go, sit, and listen to the same old sermons. I hate the potential conflict and pain this will bring into my life if I tell my family and friends of my non-belief. Every time I go, however, I am very nervous, hoping nobody calls on me to pray or discuss a topic in sunday school.

I appreciate everyone's support. It is very comforting to know there are many others who have gone through this and are at peace with themselves. It's strange but I am a more confident and outgoing person now than when I was a church going christian. I believe in myself more than ever.

There you go! You said it yourself, you believe in yourself more.

I think thats the first step. You have to be (rationally) selfish. Don't make yourself the martyr here. If it bothers you that much then don't go. If you can tolerate a time compromise then do so, but your the one who loses when you comprise your values.

A simple NO is the best way to go about things with Christians.

When asked to go to church -- say no.

When asked to pray -- say no

When asked to donate money -- say no.

I do this alot. Here are some examples. My family is about to eat a big meal, that say "Hey, J, would you like to say prayer?" I say "No." they look at me very angrily and calmly say "If you want a prayer said you can say it yourself" and then go about praying and I eat my fucking potatoes. Its that simple. You just have to stand up for your own convictions in the face of adversity.

Try it this Sunday, just stay home and play video games in your boxers and you'll feel alot better! :3:

I was born and raised a SB, so I know what you are going through.

Good luck!

Hey Dexy Midnight Runner,

Welcome to the site. Southern baptist huh. They're pretty tough. I was raised one and broke away when I was 13. I won't ever forget a friend of mine back then who told the sunday school teacher that he didn't believe all that stuff and he meant it. His father was also one of the deacons of the church. He was taken at his word and you know his father never made him go back and I cannot recall any backlash from any of his peers at school.

Well for me I broke away later in life from the church of christ. Yep the one that thinks they're the only ones going to heaven. Boy was I excited when I studied so hard to stand up to the other denominations in a debate, I studied so hard that I finally concluded their belifs or biblical interpretations were too extreme then I studied other works of scholars and realizing the whole thing of ANY religion was absurd.

I cannot in all likelihood participate in anyones religious ceremonies. I do not go around professing my atheism for I'm in the bible belt and this does not go well around here. But if confronted like so many here has said it probably would be better for you to follow your own convictions instead of pretending. I know I can't live a lie no matter what. If we cover for the christians or whatever religion we'll never evolve out of the warring delema going on everywhere.

Lots of luck and hope the family comes around. Hang in there.

Gary